Trailering

CT GTS SCUBAPRO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is the best way to secure my Viper to an open trailer? I would assume it is best to lash it down by the frame and not the suspension or wheels. Thank you,

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are oval slots on the front and rear frame rails designed for this purpose. I use T hooks that insert into these slots and then you can latch your tie down straps to to the ring on the T hook. I typically cross strap the rear as opposed to running them parallel.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are oval slots on the front and rear frame rails designed for this purpose. I use T hooks that insert into these slots and then you can latch your tie down straps to to the ring on the T hook. I typically cross strap the rear as opposed to running them parallel.

Brian, can you show a picture of the T hooks, I just put my straps directly into the slots, but this sounds better. I also cross the fronts.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the best way I have found. let the suspension float. Pulling it down with the frame compresses the springs.

You must be registered for see images attach

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian, can you show a picture of the T hooks, I just put my straps directly into the slots, but this sounds better. I also cross the fronts.

Here is a pic. From my experience, you are not really compressing the springs so much because you are pulling more forward / backward with the straps....not downward so much. Plus, you don't have to worry about protecting or take the chance marking up the finish on your wheels....but everyone has their method, and that's okay.

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use the same t hooks, you can get ratchet straps with snap hooks to attach to them to make it easy. The oval holes on the frame are at a 45 degree angle to accommodate them.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a pic. From my experience, you are not really compressing the springs so much because you are pulling more forward / backward with the straps....not downward so much. Plus, you don't have to worry about protecting or take the chance marking up the finish on your wheels....but everyone has their method, and that's okay.

I 've seen frame holes elongated,stretched,bent using the T hook style. Not so with the R hook.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I 've seen frame holes elongated,stretched,bent using the T hook style. Not so with the R hook.

Interesting. I actually used to use "R" hooks but switched to "T" because I thought the "R" hooks were doing that. The "T" seemed to provide a little more leverage and seemed more secure as well....I guess everyone reading the thread will be all confused now. :D

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. I actually used to use "R" hooks but switched to "T" because I thought the "R" hooks were doing that. The "T" seemed to provide a little more leverage and seemed more secure as well....I guess everyone reading the thread will be all confused now. :D
Both are better than nothing. I've seen some really mangled frame holes from only using the installed hook of a tiedown. You don't even want to consider that method.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the best way to secure my Viper to an open trailer? I would assume it is best to lash it down by the frame and not the suspension or wheels. Thank you,
I secured mine by taking the straps over the tires from front to back of tire and straight down to rings on all four. I personally would not secure thru the wheels as they can get marred very easily by the straps. I then had crossed straps under the car to prevent side motion using bolt on tie rings attached to the frame.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My set up is similar to Viper GTSR 91. I stap over the tires using D rings as well as a rectangular roller that goes between the D rings. The front roller acts as a stop for the front tires.. I also keep the winch attached to the front tow hook. Very similar to using an e-track set up. Real quick on-off. I was going to use the frame set up but the guys who set up my trailer (OEM fabricators for protoypes, autoshow cars, with a fleet of enclosed trucks) told me that this is easy and safe. good luck, Mike

acr_on_trailer_Gidget.jpg

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mac makes an over the tire , tie down it works with there idler fitting . The tie down strap goes over wheel and ties down to the e-track. Its the best way to tie a Viper down period. No hooks in the frame ,no pulling on the wheel damaging the alignment and or wheel. Trust me I trailer my race cars and Viper this way it doesn't move at all. It does require you put down e track. The premier exotic haulers are also using this method.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If towing using regular hooks or T-hooks, don't forget to cross tie. Bunny hoping can occur. Here is mine.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My set up is similar to Viper GTSR 91. I stap over the tires using D rings as well as a rectangular roller that goes between the D rings. The front roller acts as a stop for the front tires.. I also keep the winch attached to the front tow hook. Very similar to using an e-track set up. Real quick on-off. I was going to use the frame set up but the guys who set up my trailer (OEM fabricators for protoypes, autoshow cars, with a fleet of enclosed trucks) told me that this is easy and safe. good luck, Mike

acr_on_trailer_Gidget.jpg
WOW what a beautiful car and wheels. Nice top of the line trailer too. Looks great inc. what looks like a Maltese peeking out. We have one too.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSR 91, thanks for the compliments. Bought the trailer used 3 years ago, it's something like an '88 or '89 featherlite, original owner had a sprint car and put the airdam and spares. Guy I bought it from put on a nice tool box up front and I've added wheels/tires, winch, battery w/solar charger, more D rings and a 3 jug fuel holder. Weights 1400-1500 lbs, viper with fuel is 3420 so lot's of vehicle choices to tow 5000#.

I think its a great set up for what I need, but a couple of times at the track I've had young guys say, "you have a 100K track car and tow it with a van and an open trailer." Guess they expect me to have a dually diesel ram and a 24' enclosed?

Yeah it's a Maltese named Gidget. We take her when we go surfing. Wife wanted a good surf name.

Here's my budget tow rig (which doubles as our surf van);

Mamba #90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best way by far as described by "redtanrt10", "ACR Steve" and Viper GTSR 91. Over the wheel straps and let the suspension float, no risk of damage to frame or underbody by stretching of the straps. I've been hauling my for years like this and never had any issues.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best way by far as described by "redtanrt10", "ACR Steve" and Viper GTSR 91. Over the wheel straps and let the suspension float, no risk of damage to frame or underbody by stretching of the straps. I've been hauling my for years like this and never had any issues.

:2tu:....

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also used "R" hooks for many years and crossed both the front and back, never had a problem. With a open trailer I could tow very easily with a Jeep 5.7

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang