tranny fluid

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the local Dodge dealer who sell a few Vipers a year looking for the 4 quarts of transmission fluid. There was a label on the side of the transmission that specifically says to use Castrol Syntorq LT or GM # 12346190 or Chrysler # 4874459. The parts person asked me what it was for and told me I should be using Dexron 3. He had a Lubricant Cross Reference chart from Chrysler that he had received in March 2001 that showed that the Viper should use Dexron 3. I told him that they had changed that late in 98. I ended up getting the GM # because they only had 1 quart of the Mopar oil. It is also cheaper from GM.

After changing the fluids I went for a drive and after the car really warmed up (20 minutes) I heard a sound that sounded like a dogs metal choker collar dragging on the ground only when in gear and not giving it any gas. I took it out again the next day and all was fine until it was really warmed up. Things are all tight and there are no leaks. Any thoughts. Thanks!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am amused by your "Viper dealer sells a few a year" comment! How many does he service?!?

Dextron III was factory fill for several years, so can do no harm
A running design change in late 1998 or early 99 swapped to Castrol Syntorq, of the part number you cited. Retroactive for earlier Vipers OK.
JonB~~~~~:<~

[ In the future, I'd appreciate the chance to ship your Viper needs, right to your door:
The correct oil? $68
The shipping to your door? $6
The correct advice?.....Priceless!

JonB