Tranny issue on 2000 RT - Need Advise and Help please!

Vipermann1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2000 RT/10 with about 18,000 miles.
Car is only driven to and from work. Never any racing or track use.

Here is the problem:
Reguardless if its warm or cold, I have intermitton problems shifting from Neutral to First, then from First to Second.
I need to use considerable force to shift. (Seems to resists shifting)

Here is the kicker, I can reproduce the problem now every time if I do the following:

When driving at say 35 miles per hour, shift the tranny from third to neutral, then was car is slowing down to say 25MPH, try to shift car into 1st or 2nd, very difficult to shift.

If Car is stopped at red light (low RPM's), then I can engague 1st without a problem, if RPM's are below 2000.
If I rev to say 3000, (while clutch is engaged) then attempt to goto 1st gear, it is hard to shift.

In Summary:
Hard to shift into 1st or second when RPM's are over 3000. (about)
Anyone else have this problem?

(DC Performance has already checked the Tranny and Clutch several months ago, both seemed OK, however, they but were unable to duplicate the problem).

Thanks,
UZY
:usa: :2tu:

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the oil level:
Hard shifting might be caused by too much oil in the tranny.

Change the oil:
Sometimes when people use gear oil instead of the manuel tranny oil this is what happens.

OP
OP
V

Vipermann1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In answer to your replies:

DC Performance changed the tranny fluid and check level a few months ago.

Problem is not temperature related, as I can now reproduce the problem regardless if the tranny is rither cold or hot.

Thans, guys for all your suggestions!

Keep the ideas and opinions comming!!!

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First and Second rely on the same shift fork and you don't seem to have problems with other gears. So my guess is, and I hope I am wrong, that you have a bent shift fork.

OP
OP
V

Vipermann1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bent Fork?

How big of a repair is this?

Can just the fork in the tranny be replaced?

Or does the entire tranny need to be replaced.

The car is still under the Chrysler Extended Warranty.

PSilverGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is just a thought. Maybe the transmission is moving a little too much and allowing the stick to touch the opening in the floor. This could mean your trans mount is bad or loose. Another thought could be your engine mounts are bad and causing your trans to move. I remember reading about someone on this board had a clearance problem with the stick shift and body of the car. BTW, 1st gear is usually difficult to engage when the car is moving. Good luck.