Tranny Problems

Dave149

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the beginning of summer my reverse lockout didn't work and while going for 5th, I hit reverse. It didn't go in but it was grinding. After that it would pop out of reverse just as I let the clutch out.
I could live with that, but now it barely goes into 5th, and won't go into 6th! While in 5th the shifter really jumps around as I let off the gas then get back on it, and occasionaly pops out of 5th when I let off. Could it be a bent 5th/6th shift fork? Not sure about the reverse problem. If i'm rebuilding the tranny I figure I might as well beef it up for future performance mods. What's the best way to go? I'm in Canada so I'm a little worried about the cost of shipping a new tranny up from the US. Any help would be appreciated. Oh yeah, the car is stock with about 18500 miles.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is very easy to have the tranny rebuilt in Canada.
We have more manual tranny shops here than in the States.

In Montreal a major rebuild took 4 days from Monday 10AM to Thursday 9AM.
I had to call 10 tranny shop before I found the right one.
I spent about 30 min on the phone before I find the right tranny shop.

Follow this procedure:

1. Take the Toronto yellow pages or contact Nabil (VCO president)
2. Call each tranny shop and ask them if they know how to rebuild 6 speed transmission for Camaro, Corvette, Mustang or Austin Martin.
3. Most of the shops will tell you right away they are not familiar with this type of tranny. (This was the case in Montreal). Ask them if they know somebody knowledgable on this transmission.
3. Some of the shops will ask stupid questions discard them.
4. The right tranny shop is the one that will say the majic word "Tremec" and will talk about light differences between the tranny of these cars.

A minor rebuild should be $1300 (Changing all the sync).
A major rebuild should turn around $2300 (Changing shafts or forks).
A tradin tranny is $3000 we have MANY of them in Montreal.

Another thing. Mopar tranny oil tends to break down quickly in Canada due to extrem temperature changes.
My oil looked like honey when we opened the tranny.
When you have your tranny fixed, change the oil once a year.

Good luck !

NB: Have your tranny rebuilt quickly before you break a major part

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is very easy to have the tranny rebuilt in Canada.
We have more manual tranny shops here than in the States.

In Montreal a major rebuild took 4 days from Monday 10AM to Thursday 9AM.
I had to call 10 tranny shop before I found the right one.
I spent about 30 min on the phone before I find the right tranny shop.

Follow this procedure:

1. Take the Toronto yellow pages or contact Nabil (VCO president)
2. Call each tranny shop and ask them if they know how to rebuild 6 speed transmission for Camaro, Corvette, Mustang or Austin Martin.
3. Most of the shops will tell you right away they are not familiar with this type of tranny. (This was the case in Montreal). Ask them if they know somebody knowledgable on this transmission.
3. Some of the shops will ask stupid questions discard them.
4. The right tranny shop is the one that will say the majic word "Tremec" and will talk about light differences between the tranny of these cars.

A minor rebuild should be $1300 (Changing all the sync).
A major rebuild should turn around $2300 (Changing shafts or forks).
A tradin tranny is $3000 we have MANY of them in Montreal.

Another thing. Mopar tranny oil tends to break down quickly in Canada due to extrem temperature changes.
My oil looked like honey when we opened the tranny.
When you have your tranny fixed, change the oil once a year.

Good luck !

NB: Have your tranny rebuilt quickly before you break a major part

The best T56 man in the country is in Detroit - John Dinoto (248)676-8554

OP
OP
D

Dave149

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I haven't really decided what I'm going to do yet. I will drive it in town for another month, then it gets put in the garage for winter, and I will decide then. If I end up rebuilding it, I will do it myself. G-Force transmission has some nice looking internal and triple cone synchronizers which would be nice. Also Rockland Standard Gear has a tranny set up for roadracing and a different 5th and 6th gear ratio which would be nice. Unfortunately both of those ways would be expensive, but what should I expect, it's a Viper right!!

Dave

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't drive it too much. If a part breaks it can grind the entire tranny and you will end up by paying $3000 insteat of $1000.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use RPM Transmission and they have been outstanding. They have their own upgrades and are also a G-Force rep. He has done transmissions for twin turbo vipers and A LOT of work for Lingenfelter. If you start calling around, it's worth checking them out. Ask for Rodney.