Transmission fluid change

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering what is the transmission fluid to put in a stock 98 gts. I usually go amsoil fluids, but their generic 1 transmission fluid fits all kind of worries me. Should I just get factory fluid or try something different.

Stonep185

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their gear oil is a direct substitute for the factory requirement of your 98. Do a search on here for factory fill and then cross reference it with amsoil gear oil. I'm extremely happy with the amsoil in mine and its reduced the heat coming from the trans.

TomH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been using Amsoil 75-90wt gear lube for nearly 50K miles, I think the gear box runs a little cooler. Only down side is hard to get into second when the temps are freezing until the oil warms.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their gear oil is a direct substitute for the factory requirement of your 98. Do a search on here for factory fill and then cross reference it with amsoil gear oil. I'm extremely happy with the amsoil in mine and its reduced the heat coming from the trans.
ya i just replaced the rear end with amsoil gear lube. Their transmission fluid though....it's a one size fits all transmission fluid...and it just concerns me how there are so many different types of transmission fluid bur amsoil can do all of them in one?

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering what is the transmission fluid to put in a stock 98 gts. I usually go amsoil fluids, but their generic 1 transmission fluid fits all kind of worries me. Should I just get factory fluid or try something different.

Unless your car is used for extreme duty, the factory fill will be more than adequate. The factory fill is rebranded Castrol Syntorq IIRC.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Factory fill: Mopar Synthetic Manual Trans Lube 75W-85 is what i use.

Part# 04874459

Fyi there was a TSB to use the DexronATF to quiet NGR, so some people run that. Also i think it is better for shifting in the cold. However, I prefer the extra protection of the 75W85 since hot performance is my priority.

Reaction score
OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Factory fill: Mopar Synthetic Manual Trans Lube 75W-85 is what i use.

Part# 04874459

Fyi there was a TSB to use the DexronATF to quiet NGR, so some people run that. Also i think it is better for shifting in the cold. However, I prefer the extra protection of the 75W85 since hot performance is my priority.

Sorry what does TSB stand for? Also, is this the dextron ATF that you speak of? http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...9418P/Mobil+Dexron-VI+ATF+Fluid.jsp?locale=en Just so I am sure I am buying the right thing. Or is the dextron 6 ATF completely different than the Dextron ATF you mentioned?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Darth, there IS some misinformation in this thread. TSB stands for "Technical Service Bulletin". The May 1998 TSB on tranny fluid was to address the problem of Neutral Gear Rattle (NGR). So if a customer complained of NGR in a 1994 to 1998 Viper (NOT 1992 or 1993 !!!), Dodge dealers could replace the factory fill Dexron III (or II-e in 94 & 95 Vipers) with Mopar Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant 75W-85 (rebranded Castrol Syntorq 75W-85) for free. The Mopar Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant 75W-85 became the factory fill for 1999 through 2006. Mopar ATF+4 is a substitute now for the older Mopar Dexron III. While the ATF+4 is the factory fill for 2008 to 2010 Vipers, it IS NOT to be used in 2003 to 2006 Vipers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice, I have spoken to a few people here and I think I will go with the amsoil manual tranmission fluid 75w90. They seem to like it and I live close to the distribution centre so i can pick it up for $11/bottle. Thanks for the info guys

Now about changing it...is there a drain bolt for a simple drain/fill. Or is it something that I drop the pan, drain it and replace the gasket? Also, how much fluid do i need

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve-Indy:3149683 said:
there IS some misinformation in this thread.

Yep, that was me. Sorry, wish i could edit or delete.
Thankyou for the complete informative post Steve.

The tsb to quiet down ngr was to replace the thinner dexronIII(nowATF+4) with the thicker MTF to quiet down NGR.

ATF positives being: easier shifting (especially in colder temps), cheaper cost.
MTF positives being: more protection(prob not necessary unless you do trackdays), less chance of NGR
Downsides: harder cold shifting, expensive cost

Take your pick.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, that was me. Sorry, wish i could edit or delete.
Thankyou for the complete informative post Steve.

The tsb to quiet down ngr was to replace the thinner dexronIII(nowATF+4) with the thicker MTF to quiet down NGR.

ATF positives being: easier shifting (especially in colder temps), cheaper cost.
MTF positives being: more protection(prob not necessary unless you do trackdays), less chance of NGR
Downsides: harder cold shifting, expensive cost

Take your pick.

Ya, I think i will go with the amsoil 75w90 manual transmission fluid. Either way if my rear end fluid is any indication of what my transmission fluid looks like..its time for a change

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how many quarts do i need? and do i have to drop the pan and replace the filter or is that only auto transmission? (ive only changed my caravan's tranny filter/fluid)

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how many quarts do i need? and do i have to drop the pan and replace the filter or is that only auto transmission? (ive only changed my caravan's tranny filter/fluid)

Here's a good list created by a VCA member that was used by folks here for quite a while. The original internet host site is no longer there; but, there is an archived copy. As typical, there is always debate over what fluids are used in what years and what substitutes are acceptable. Engine oil capacity varies by year and on previous owner's upgrades such as later oil pan.

Viper Fluids Chart

A
nd, yes, filter and pan is unique to an automatic transmission. Manual trans just has a fill plug on the side and a drain plug on the bottom.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess what? I finally changed my transmission fluid today. I got it out it was dark brown and not beautiful yellow'ish like my new stuff. Anyway, I did the amsoil synthetic manual transmission fluid, and I think the transmission makes a bit more noise while driving. Or do you think this is psychological (much like feeling added speed after a small mod) Either way I love getting the old crap out and that skip shift kit makes it way more enjoyable to drive! Well worth the effort.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't doubt that there could be a slight noise difference. Noise is one reason they went to the Castrol Syntorq, I think. Some people are more sensitive to such things. I doubt that there is any significant performance difference in non-track driving.

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
use syntorq or royal purple in the gearbox on my 97 gts, nice and quiet and easy shifting, synthetic plus modifier in the rear, plus synthetic brake,clutch,power steering and engine as well, cept royal purple can be pricey unless ur buddy can get it for half price :)

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some have argued that Dexron / ATF+4's thinner viscosity allows any wear particles to drop to the bottom of the case and out of harms way quicker than thicker gear oil would. I know in the muscle car days, Chrysler manuals, which used ATF as the factory fill, lasted a lot longer than T-10's or M-21/22's which used heavier gear oil as their factory fills.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some have argued that Dexron / ATF+4's thinner viscosity allows any wear particles to drop to the bottom of the case and out of harms way quicker than thicker gear oil would. I know in the muscle car days, Chrysler manuals, which used ATF as the factory fill, lasted a lot longer than T-10's or M-21/22's which used heavier gear oil as their factory fills.

It sounds reasonable at first glance, but I'd think that once the car starts moving the oil get whipped around so much that particulates don't get a chance to settle and those that did while sitting would get stirred back up.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't the viper get filled with ATF as well. I know mine has a stiocker on the tranny saying ATF fluid only

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Steve mentioned, ATF is the factory fill for 92 ~ 98 Vipers, 2008 ~ 2010 and I think the GENV's. As far as I know, all non Viper T-56's were also factory filled with ATF. Given it's broad and successful usage, one has to wonder if it isn't a perfectly good lubricant. Can't see Borg Warner/Tremac using an inferior factory fill to save a few bucks while incurring additional warranty claims as a result.

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as I know, ATF is a perfectly acceptable fluid for T-56's. The only place I've seen gear lube recommended is in the Viper, and that was only to alleviate NGR complaints.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang