Transmission Issue

Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my 98 GTS for almost 3 years now, and It's always had this weird transmission issue (Since I purchased the car, I'm the 3rd owner). I bought the car with 8k miles on it, and now it has 16k miles. The only mod the car had when I purchased it was a B&M shifter. I later added the cat-back exhaust and smooth tubes. For what it's worth, I've been drag racing and auto-crossing cars for 7 years now, and have never seen or experienced this issue.

When casually driving the car around town, the transmission shifts nicely. It feels a little notchy when the car is cold, but I've noticed that on every T-56 I've ever used. When applying power and shifting the car, the car shifts flawlessly 1-2, 2-3, but always has issues when going from 3-4.

It does one of these two things: The shifter will go into the 4th gear position, the transmission will make a grinding sound, and then when the gas is pressed the car will free rev (as if it's in neutral). If I take the shifter out of 4th, return it to neutral, then back into 4th it is fine. I've had this problem since I bought the car.

The new symptom I've run into this past season is that when shifting 3-4 fast, the shifter slides directly back into 4th gear as it should, but when the clutch is released the transmission will actually be in 2nd. :omg: If I return the shifter to neutral, and back to 4th, it is again fine. It only seems to do this when the car is under load.

I installed the Woodhouse transmission mount, and a new shifter (updated B&M) and the car does the exact same thing, over and over. My co-driver is also experiencing this same difficulty. I've refrained from racing the car any further until I can get this problem figured out.

I've pulled several T-56's out of mustangs and camaros in the past. Replaced clutches, flywheels, etc. However, I know nothing about the internal workings of the transmission itself. Could this possibly be a bent shift fork, or another internal transmission issue?

I've read that a lot of people recommend changing the motor mounts. What are the chances mine are already bad at 16k miles? I figured I'd try the transmission mount first because it was a quick and simple install. I did not have any gain from it. If the motor mounts were bad, would I notice shifting issues with any of the other gears? I can wot shift the car 1-2. and 2-3 without any issues.

I'm just looking for some advise. Any help is greatly appreciated.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As silly as this may sound, when was the last time the tranny fluid was changed? Maybe part of the problem. It's common for some tO miss the 3-4 shift but I have not run across the issue you are describing. Maybe one of the syncros is going bad?:dunno:

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be a synchro or bent shift fork. It is probably best to pull it and take the transmission down for a thorough inspection. An experienced T56 builder can do this job fairly cheaply and when he's in there, you can replace your synchros and bearings anyway.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is a transmission issue that coiuld have been caused by a clutch issue. Call me and I would be happy to help.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pull the tranny, go through the tranny- put a new clutch in it along with a fresh flywheel- now send me 100.00 dollars for a diognostic :rolaugh:

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was not aware you could use a Gen III transmission in a Gen II car without serious modification? Aren't gen 3 and 4 drive by wire transmissions?

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a Gen IV trans in mine (96 RT/10). Needed to add a ring for the speedo and switch out the U-joints. Like butter!

Todd Abrams at A&C Performance did the work and it was surprisingly affordable.

Mike

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my 98 GTS for almost 3 years now, and It's always had this weird transmission issue (Since I purchased the car, I'm the 3rd owner). I bought the car with 8k miles on it, and now it has 16k miles. The only mod the car had when I purchased it was a B&M shifter. I later added the cat-back exhaust and smooth tubes. For what it's worth, I've been drag racing and auto-crossing cars for 7 years now, and have never seen or experienced this issue.

When casually driving the car around town, the transmission shifts nicely. It feels a little notchy when the car is cold, but I've noticed that on every T-56 I've ever used. When applying power and shifting the car, the car shifts flawlessly 1-2, 2-3, but always has issues when going from 3-4.

It does one of these two things: The shifter will go into the 4th gear position, the transmission will make a grinding sound, and then when the gas is pressed the car will free rev (as if it's in neutral). If I take the shifter out of 4th, return it to neutral, then back into 4th it is fine. I've had this problem since I bought the car.

The new symptom I've run into this past season is that when shifting 3-4 fast, the shifter slides directly back into 4th gear as it should, but when the clutch is released the transmission will actually be in 2nd. :omg: If I return the shifter to neutral, and back to 4th, it is again fine. It only seems to do this when the car is under load.

I installed the Woodhouse transmission mount, and a new shifter (updated B&M) and the car does the exact same thing, over and over. My co-driver is also experiencing this same difficulty. I've refrained from racing the car any further until I can get this problem figured out.

I've pulled several T-56's out of mustangs and camaros in the past. Replaced clutches, flywheels, etc. However, I know nothing about the internal workings of the transmission itself. Could this possibly be a bent shift fork, or another internal transmission issue?

I've read that a lot of people recommend changing the motor mounts. What are the chances mine are already bad at 16k miles? I figured I'd try the transmission mount first because it was a quick and simple install. I did not have any gain from it. If the motor mounts were bad, would I notice shifting issues with any of the other gears? I can wot shift the car 1-2. and 2-3 without any issues.

I'm just looking for some advise. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You are close (Detroit) to one of the best T56 rebuilders in the country. His name is John Dinoto (Spelling). It is not that expensive to have him change the forks to steel and go to the full metal synchro's. You just have to pull it. I live in Cleveland and have met him several times in Toledo to exchange transmissions.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NGR I believe was due to the aggressive cam that was in the 96-98 GTS, its caused the engine and transmission to rock back, my 97 has mild NGR, Tator recommends a certain oil to reduce this, i happen to love my aggressive cam :)

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you guys that have NGR have poly mounts for engine and trans?

Is the rattle you hear coming from inside the transmission?

Never heard of this, perhaps because the stock exhaust is gone, gone, goneeeee.

:usa:

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i get it on hot days after a hard run when I'm stopped and in neutral, depending on year and the label on the transmission there is better oil then others to put in it to reduce or eliminate NGR according to a past conversation I had with Chuck, NGR was one of a few factors the led to the cream puff engines, they got rid of the aggressive cam to reduce/eliminate NGR plus the "rough ideal" that some viper owners were complaining about, so there was no need for forged internals, I freaking love the ideal!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad