transmission issue

rrapom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard time
I have a question on my T56, having a problem going into reverse. Having hard time putting it in reserve with the engine idling, ok with engine off, lockout solenoid if working, put in new pilot shaft bearing and checked pressure plate and disc. Put on lift get the wheels spinning push in clutch, apply brakes wheels stop, left off brakes with engine idling and wheels don't spin. did that a few times. Still on list and still won't go in. rev the engine and sometimes it works. Maybe a reverse gear or synchro's?. Ant input would be great

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I didn't think reverse was synchronized, but I might be wrong on that. Does it have any issues or noticeable "crunch" going into any other gear? Wondering if maybe you have a little air in your clutch hydraulic line so you aren't getting quite enough throw out of the slave? On the forward gears with more or better synchros it might not show as much as in reverse. Though I guess if the wheels aren't spinning during your test that might eliminate that as a culprit. Do you have an aftermarket shifter or anything like that? I think some had adjustable stops on them that might be limiting travel, but at this point I'm just grasping at straws for ideas. Maybe the internal shift fork is bent or something and limiting travel as well.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
So I've had some recent experience in my car that made me think of this issue again. My car has had a very slight crunch going into gear from time to time and it's maybe even a little more noticeable for reverse. I know when I was putting the transmission back in the car after my engine rebuild that I knocked it off the jack and spilled a little fluid out of the top. It wasn't much, but I've still never gotten around to topping it off yet. It is cold around where I live as well, and I'm still running the thicker Castrol Syntorq oil vs the newer ATF, but I'm thinking the low fluid level might be the cause of some of my slight shifting issues. You might check the fluid level in your trans and see where it sits. Could be that it's low and maybe reverse is just a gear that sits higher in the case and doens't get lubed as well if the level isn't right.

Trans Doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any effort difference in going into reverse with the key on or off ?
should be very hard to get to reverse with the key off.
The skip shift and reverse lock out solenoids have the same plug and can be mixed, check.
Reverse is synchronized in the T56.