Transmission Removal Help

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having some trouble getting the transmission out and any advise would be great.

I have the car on a hoist.Driveshaft, transmission to differential ladder, all wiring etc. removed. All transmission to bell housing bolts (7) removed and trying to slide the transmission out. I have tried everything possible to get it to come straight out but the top right side near the dowel is not releasing. I can get a slight gap but it closes as soon as I release the tension. To assist I have actually attached a cable winch and tried to pull it back but it is not giving. I do not want to overstress it so have kept the pull to a reasonable level.

It is a 95 with 30k miles. The trans was off once before several years back for warranty service.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
C

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jp Thanks. Can anyone confirm if there are 8 bolts? I will check again tonight and see if there is an elusive bolt. Clearance on the top is certainly minimal (especially for my hands and arms).

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have tried everything possible to get it to come straight out but the top right side near the dowel is not releasing.
Thoughts?

There are 8 bolts. There is one on the right side just above the dowel that is difficult to see. Get a flashlight and stick your head in there you'll see it.

Scott E. Smith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, you are missing one bolt....it's very hard to see, if you stand back with a flashlight you can see it, you will need a long extension to get at it. you also will need to disconnect the clutch hydraulic line before removing the transmission as it is bolted to the trans. if you have any other questions just ask ...I've done 6 of these. good luck!

OP
OP
C

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. After lots of looking I finally found the little scoundrel. Wow! I can only imagine how I am going to get that thing back in. One positive is that it was reachable with straight extensions. That will make replacement easier.

Two major projects going simultaneously: replacing the clutch and installing new headers and exhaust. Thanks goodness the SRT is coming soon (in I status for the past 12 days) so I have lots of time to finish her up.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you have a trans jack, it is 125 lb and has to be rotated on its axis and to the rear. If you don't have the clutch line out, two stubby flat blade screw drivers to drive in the white collar to release the fitting.

OP
OP
C

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found out about the weight soon after getting it loose. Makes the old 4 speeds of old seem feather light. Incredible. My son and I were not comfortable in taking it out. So it sits another day. I will locate a tranny jack and take that route.

I do have the clutch hose out. Another trick that this site has helped me with.

Now onto the exhaust and a new set of issues. My first thoughts there are how to connect the Borla headers with the flexible pipe. Did the later Gen II's have a different type connector? I have 95 and 96 manuals, both showing cast manifolds. Also, are there any larger flex pipe sections. I have all 3 inch Belanger exhaust waiting to be connected and it seems silly to neck it down to 2 inches coming out of the flexible connector.