Transmission upgrade

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
I eliminated second gear from our TT Viper at the NED Viper Vette shootout.
M/T streets and a brand new clutch with a sticky track and 8 pounds of boost are not a good combo for our tranny's. Guess I should have lifted between shifts.

Anyway, does anyone have upgrade suggestions for beefing this up so it does not happen again? We are considering going with our own custom automatic setup, but I love shifting the car, so I'd like to stay with the t56 if it can be beefed enough.

thanks,
Dave

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hollinger make a special 6 speed box for the Viper that is also available as a sequential shift - it'll take considerable time off your ET but will not be cheap. Hollinger boxes are legends in Australasia - racing versions are powershifted all day in endurance racing with no clutch once underway.

There is someone building a stronger upgraded version of the T-56 but can't recall their name - it is not a Viper tuner - someone here may know it.

BoostedV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Banging gears

I have seen the work done by a person who produces some of the finest shifting and strongest (he MAKES several custom replacement parts) T-56 transmissions around. :2tu: I can help you get your transmission rebuilt from him. If you would prefer a direct approach to getting your transmission rebuilt, let me know. You can “p.m.” me on the board here for more information.

You might also want to look into adding a transmission cooler. The main benefit of a PROPERLY installed cooler is more the circulation of oil than the actual cooling. (Hint: you do not use the fill plug as your oil return. :confused: ) One of the main problems with these transmissions is the fact that they are so long. Under hard acceleration, all of the lubrication in the front of the transmission is lost. And if you are just pumping cool oil back to the middle of the transmission you are not really going to notice an extension in the life of the transmission.

proracer1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Banging gears

D&D Transmissions in Wixom Mi Is THE BEST Viper Transmission builder in the country....Sorry I don't have the number. Call Information

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact Ron Jr. at SVSI.

We have built a great relationship with our transmission builder over the years. He is a man with great integrity and knowledge around the t56. He works very close with Dodge and has a wealth of knowledge.

Jr.
SVS

schorvitz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did TONS of research on this issue before buying my new transmission. Simple answer: ROCKLAND STANDARD GEAR. George Kreppein is the guy to ask for. I had the new transmission a few days after I placed my order and had it shipped directly to Larry Macedo. Had 5th and 6th gear ratios changed to more usable ratios on the track. When doing your due-diligence on your transmission upgrade be sure to include Rockland Standard Gear on your call list.

http://www.rsgear.com/

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/0305pon_shiftingsix/index.html

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did TONS of research on this issue before buying my new transmission. Simple answer: ROCKLAND STANDARD GEAR. George Kreppein is the guy to ask for. I had the new transmission a few days after I placed my order and had it shipped directly to Larry Macedo. Had 5th and 6th gear ratios changed to more usable ratios on the track. When doing your due-diligence on your transmission upgrade be sure to include Rockland Standard Gear on your call list.

http://www.rsgear.com/

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/0305pon_shiftingsix/index.html

I've spent a lot of time on the phone with Michael Weinberg of RSG. These guys alternate ratios are really neat! They offer VERY reasonable rebuild pricing and I think they are cerified Tremec rebuilders too.... They are listed in the Marketplace Performance Parts area:

Rockland Standard Gear, Inc.
150 Route 17
P.O. Box 13
Sloatsburg NY 10974

Phone: 845-753-2005
Phone: 800-227-1523
Fax: 845-753-2329

Viper transmission repairs, rebuilds, and upgrades including alternative gear ratios.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas