Truly just a question, but...

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think that the system openning up for orders, is just that...orders only? With the plant still closed and a new buyer looming, are these orders just to tempt a new buyer? Again just a question...or food for thought. Many have said that Dodge will not make an annoucement regarding Viper (and the three offers) until the viability plan is out.

Sorry I don't want to rain on anyone's parade (since there are many very excited about their new orders).

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the usa is so upside down,do u trust what anybody says,they dont know,they just say what sounds good at the time,they have to,they are drowning in thier own bs..

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are my thoughts too. Most people on this site are ordering ACR's. I am sure they will limit production on them like every other year. Good luck to all the folks ordering.

Bruce

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They'ld be damn fools for limiting an item someone wants to actually purchase, unlike the rest of the crap cars they make (Challenger and other SRT products notwithstanding)that nobody wants to buy.

OP
OP
C

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing that was nice in today's viability plan was that Viper wasn't included in the list of discontinued cars. Durango, Aspen and PT Cruiser all got the axe...

I saw an article today about the viability plan. It said...

The company also said that as part of its restructuring plan, it will reduce production capacity by 100,000 units and cut fixed costs by $700 million in 2009. The company said it will sell $300 million in "non-earning assets" in 2009 and plans to start paying back its government loans in 2012.

Anyone know what they are referring to as "non-earning assests?" Might this be Viper?

Article also said that they need $9 billion of which they have only received $4 billion. That is a very scary request....:dunno:

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They would not "axe" the Viper as they are actively seeking a new owner for the brand.

What's scary is they cannot find a buyer for the "low low" price of $80 million. Viper has been "for sale" since last August.

As for "non performing assets", think of "closed factories" and other properties that Chrsyler owns but are not using.

OP
OP
C

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They would not "axe" the Viper as they are actively seeking a new owner for the brand.

What's scary is they cannot find a buyer for the "low low" price of $80 million. Viper has been "for sale" since last August.

As for "non performing assets", think of "closed factories" and other properties that Chrsyler owns but are not using.

I too, don't believe they will "axe" the Viper (which includes the people, plant, and the car) but I do think it is part of that $300 million goal.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What's not clear to me is what's included in that $80 million price. That's a really low price, and might just be the brand and goodwill? I'd think that if they lumped all the tooling, factory, real estate, etc., into it the price would be closer to the $300 million mark.

Even if they're selling for a low price like that for the whole operation, these things can take a lot of time. They probably hoped to get the deal done by end of December, but this marketplace got very dodgy (pun intended) between August and Dec. Now, there's probably no big hurry to get it done until end of '09 production run next December. $80 million is just a round-off error in the grand scheme of things right now, so if I were Chrysler (Cerberus) I wouldn't be too motivated to move it - especially now that they've already submitted their viability plan. At this point, what happens happens and there isn't too much pressure to get rid of Viper. In fact, with recent interest, there might even be some thoughts about keeping it...

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the past there was talk about vendors being afraid on nonpayment, I think this could be the big issue. What essential parts would stop production. If production was to end in 2011 some vendors may think it's a good idea to cut losses now.