Tuning: rich at cruise, lean at WOT

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just dyno'ed and car is rich at idle and cruising but lean at WOT. Any idea? Car will be tuned this week but was curious.

2000 Paxton AEM ems fuel pressure is 59psi. New fuel system installed hence needs tune.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just dyno'ed and car is rich at idle and cruising but lean at WOT. Any idea? Car will be tuned this week but was curious.

2000 Paxton AEM ems fuel pressure is 59psi. New fuel system installed hence needs tune.

Since the Paxton uses the stock 55psi at idle and the Split second box turns on the extra fuel pumps and fuels the engine in conjunction with the FMU/Fuel Management Unit ... I epect that you've changed the fuel system. Under 3/4 throttle the ECU is supposed to adjust the fuel mixture according to the 02 sensors - but I suspect that the split second box you have the 02 sensor wire going through something before the ECU that is altering the signal?

Ted

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the Paxton uses the stock 55psi at idle and the Split second box turns on the extra fuel pumps and fuels the engine in conjunction with the FMU/Fuel Management Unit ... I epect that you've changed the fuel system. Under 3/4 throttle the ECU is supposed to adjust the fuel mixture according to the 02 sensors - but I suspect that the split second box you have the 02 sensor wire going through something before the ECU that is altering the signal?

Ted

I went from an Aeromotive a1000 external to triple in tank system.
I m using an aem ems and aem timing device (similar to split system). Not sure how it's wired.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure you already know this but if by "lean" above you mean "too lean" I would stay away from WOT until your car is properly calibrated.

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure you already know this but if by "lean" above you mean "too lean" I would stay away from WOT until your car is properly calibrated.

Yep car is still at shop waiting to be tuned. We installed new fuel system then did a baseline pull on the dyno. We cut it off at 5k because it was running lean. 5k it's 12.92 AF.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Turn down the fuel pressure to 55psi (stock) should/might take care of the rich operation and increasing the injector dwell should enrich the WOT mix?

Doesn't sound like you're using the Paxton systems at all. Changing the fuel system changes the a/f ratio as it should. Gen 3 cars tuning with SCT?

Ted

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turn down the fuel pressure to 55psi (stock) should/might take care of the rich operation and increasing the injector dwell should enrich the WOT mix?

Doesn't sound like you're using the Paxton systems at all. Changing the fuel system changes the a/f ratio as it should. Gen 3 cars tuning with SCT?

Ted

Correct, not using the Paxton pumps at all. RSI triple hanger with three walboro pumps.