Turned on the heater yesterday, now can't turn it off??

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my car to work yesterday because the heater in my Jeep is currently broken...it's Florida so all I needed it for was 24 hrs. The problem is now the heater won't turn off, even when I move the knob all the way to the blue cold side, I can tell the heater is working as the air is much warmer than outside and has that distinctive heater smell. Any idea what it may be, a stuck actuator of some sort that isn't moving a door that blocks hot air perhaps?

Reaction score
I surmise it may be the cable outside under the hood over the right box. The heater valve is stuck in the *on* position. You can manually push the valve over into the opposite direction to remedy the problem for now.

Let me know if you have any other questions.....

Regards,
Doug

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! Any idea what to do to fix the problem? I will pop the hood to see if I can locate the problem and although it isn't that big of a deal to pop the hood to put it back to AC considering I would only do it a couple times a year, it would be nice to fix the issue

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second the cable being stuck.

On a side note, I sold my Jeep JK due to the heat going out. Heater core issues **** on these new Jeeps.

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just came back from the parking garage, cable wasn't stuck. When I get home I'll take it off and see if maybe the valve itself is broken.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Does the on-dash heater-control-knob 'feel' different? Looser? Tighter? As Doug stated, moving it open-closed manually is a sure fix, if temporary. Its located on the passenger side atop just forward of the firewall. Has a thin-cable-wire connected to that dashboard knob. It can break on the dash site if it was VERY stiff..... If very rarely used, the valve can corrode over years.... Owners in the heat-belt should cycle their heaters a few times a year......Email me for more: [email protected] Good Luck

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jon, haven't been on here in a while and glad to see you back. I popped the hood and moved the AC controller back and forth and it was moving the valve, it was not stuck. It has full range of motion. When I get home I am going to take the valve off and see if maybe something broke on the inside? Otherwise I will be at a loss.

Reaction score
Thanks Jon, haven't been on here in a while and glad to see you back. I popped the hood and moved the AC controller back and forth and it was moving the valve, it was not stuck. It has full range of motion. When I get home I am going to take the valve off and see if maybe something broke on the inside? Otherwise I will be at a loss.

There are other things to check, although if you want to verify the heater valve is ok; run the engine to operating temperature. With the valve in the closed position, check to see if the hoses are just as HOT on both sides of the valve. If they are the valve is probably bad. If not, you will need to move on to the next step. BTW, What year is the car?

Best regards,
Doug