TwinTurbo - Its about time!

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its been about 2 months since I took delivery of a 2006 FE Twin Turbo Coupe that I bought from another forum member in NY. I have driven the car 2x's. :crazy2:

I brought the car to A&C Performance to install an AEM and pull the motor from the car. The motor is a 522 stroker. The engine was dropped off at an engine builder locally. The motor was mic'd and had new bearings, a new oil pump, a new timing chain set, and lifters installed. Motor had 8600 miles on it. I got some great pictures of it when it was pulled apart and then cleaned before reassembly.

i spoke with Todd today and the motor goes back in the car on Friday or Monday after they get it back from the builder.:2tu:

I cannot wait to rejoin the Viper community once and for all. :headbang: Its been way too long and I feel like a kid in a candy store who can't eat any candy every time I go on this site.

Here are some pics of my motor disassembled and recently cleaned.

Attachments

• IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 183

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, it looks great and I'm sure it's going to be a beast. TT is going to be my next move once I out grow the paxton. I've scheduled to drop off my car at A&C this Friday to get the paxton and headers installed and I'm excited as you are. :D Paxton may not be as thrilled like the TT but it will keep me happy until I get the TT. Good luck on your build and post many pics after it's done. :2tu:

OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am definitely going to post pics after the install. I hope the results blow me away because after this long anything but that will leave me disappointed.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you replacing the pistons/rods? Stock cam??
Why are you rebuilding it?

Thanks...

OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It wasn't necessary to replace the pistons or rods as they were in great shape and all remain within spec. I had the cylinders brush honed also while it was apart. This stroker motor utilizes the stock cam. Driveability was great the 2x's I have driven it. Oil pump needed replacement so I went all the way while it was apart and replaced wear items. Freshening the motor should pay off big with the introduction of the AEM and maximizing the power potential with a great street tune. I plan on enjoying this car often so driveability was very important to me hence the reason for the upgrade to the AEM.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you replacing the pistons/rods? Stock cam??
Why are you rebuilding it?

Thanks...

Let me rephrase that... Are you rebuilding with stock (OEM) cast pistons, stock (OEM) cam, billett mains etc...

Sorry for all the questions. Just wondering about pricing on a gen 3 engine built for FI. Especially TT FI. Also reliability of cast OEM parts for a TT.

OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me rephrase that... Are you rebuilding with stock (OEM) cast pistons, stock (OEM) cam, billett mains etc...

Sorry for all the questions. Just wondering about pricing on a gen 3 engine built for FI. Especially TT FI. Also reliability of cast OEM parts for a TT.

Bought the car as a TT. Most of the TT's you will find are stroked with upgraded forged internals to handle the power, including this one so no stock parts except cam in mine. Don't even think about adding turbos to your stock bottom end it will not last.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought the car as a TT. Most of the TT's you will find are stroked with upgraded forged internals to handle the power, including this one so no stock parts except cam in mine. Don't even think about adding turbos to your stock bottom end it will not last.

Couldn't agree more. I have already done a build on a Gen 2.

I was curious because of the growing number of TT systems that bolt right on stock engines. Every one seems to report that they work just fine and are reliable...:dunno:

Good Luck with yours.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
"Bought the car as a TT. Most of the TT's you will find are stroked with upgraded forged internals to handle the power, including this one so no stock parts except cam in mine. Don't even think about adding turbos to your stock bottom end it will not last."

Jeff,

Not sure how your engine is "stroked" but hope it was done with a new billet crankshaft. Stroking a Viper engine by grinding the crankshaft is an inexpensive way of making more cubic inches and isn't a particularly good idea per my engine builder. Improperly stroked Viper engines don't rev very well and tend to wear pistons and liners out fairly quickly. In most cases, you'd be better off adding a bit more boost and staying at stock displacement than grinding a Viper crankshaft to get more cubic inches.

Good luck with your car,

Dan

OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the fact the car had 8600 miles on it prior to the motor being disassembled is indicative premature wear was not a factor at least in this stroker build. The tell tale signs of wear on pistons would have been evident when the motor was apart. The engine builder looked for anything and everything to see evidence of that but everything mic'd within spec and visually looked good except it needed a good bath as could have been expected. I was very relieved.

I will be relieved even further once I get the car back in my garage though. Can't wait!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery