Two License Plates?

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just Got My Vanity Plates In Today. On the front of the envelope-

State Law Requires You To Attach Both Front and Rear License Plates.

Do the Police enforce this? I do not see myself attaching a bracket for a front License Plate.

If you see a Red RT10 with a license plate that reads 92RT10 New Hampshire. The driver answers to- Hey Jeff!

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jeff,

Every state is different. But here in IL I have run without front plates on my daily driver for 9 years and I've only gotten one ticket. And that ticket was a $25 "compliance" ticket. No court, no record, just tell them you, ahem, "fixed" it.

Note that in this time I've been stopped many times for speeding and sat and watched the officer walk to the front, see the missing plate, and then walk to the back to get the number for the ticket. They never added the missing plate change to the ticket...

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,
I live here in NY state and was given 2 plates i asked the DMV for a exempt from the front due to low clearence and was denied!!
was told must have 2! My reply was "NO WAY". I refuse to mess up the from of a new viper!! so i called my local police and was advised no local officer would ever write me for no from plate!! but that it is a good idea to put it in the pocket behind the passenger seat so at least it is with you. Also the nice local officer told me that the NYS TROOPERS would write me if I was caught out on the thruway with out it...to date no problems!!!

Also i was told if i do get a ticket it is only a $25 equipment violation not a moving violation !!

my advice dont do it.. and take the plate, if you park the car
for a 1 hour dinner date throw it on the dash.
smile.gif

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh Jeff,
No, please don't put on the front plate.......ohhhhh...I shiver at the thought, in my opinion, it just takes away from the smooth lines of the amazing body of the car. I recall someone posting last year something that made quite a bit of sense to me in regard to a similiar question about putting on a front plate, they said something like: you don't really have to worry about having a front plate, because, when driving a Viper, you will never have anyone in front of you. Sounded resonable to me
laugh.gif
It's the law here in New York as well, I haven't had one on yet. I will admit that I have been pulled over for it, but haven't yet received a ticket. Just keep it in the car, should you be pulled over by a kind police officer, just say your waiting for a bracket from your dealer to mount it. Good luck
Have a wonderful day.
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

STOUT 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received a summons from a Minnesota trooper about two weeks ago. I'm going to court at the end of the month. The fine is $55!

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

It sure seems to me that there must be a company out there with a non-drill remedy.

Self adhesive velcro can work wonders for things like this.

Does Snake Oyl make a non-drill removable front plate holder? It only makes sense to have one that is removable for trips.

Yes, an officer did tell me it was "a good reason to get pulled over" , I don't really want that experience. The removable plate seems so logical. Anybody make such an item for Vipers?

Jim

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Busted once a week after I got the car for not having a front plate. Paid the fine, went back to "prove" I had it installed by putting a couple rubber bands around the plate and showed the cop. I wasn't about to do the drill job. They passed it and I haven't been stopped since. I figure I'll just go through the same routine if I get stopped for that again.

PS. I probably got a ticket because I made some comment about how the neighborhood must be pretty safe if he (the cop) has the time to stop me for a missing front plate.

Ken Larsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bought (4) suction cups and put it inside the windshield. Havent had a problem yet!
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks, I think I have built the answer to the front license plate problem. I read Ken's (I think it was Ken) post some time back and got the idea of attaching the plate with suction cups. I built one, have had it on my car for about one month, and it works MUCH better than I could have imagined. All you see is the license plate and not the supporting structure. I can take it off and on in 10 seconds. If anybody knows of a free picture posting service I could use, I have digitals that show the whole thing. I used to have photopoint, but they charge now, and I'm cheap.

Maybe George could build this thing and make it look professional. Heck, I would even be willing to build a few at cost (cost me about $15 for parts -- consisted of aluminum parts, pop rivets, nuts and bolts, and suction cups). Once you see it, maybe a few of you would like to either build one yourselves, or I wouldn't mind doing a couple. Took me about 2 hours to build the one I have.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank 00GTS:
If anybody knows of a free picture posting service I could use, I have digitals that show the whole thing. I used to have photopoint, but they charge now, and I'm cheap.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Use the VCA's location for posting for free here .

rhansenjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jeff,
Have run a '57 Corvette since 1988 and our '94 RT10 since new in New Hampshire with only one warning ticket in Brookline, NH last year. Town policeman did say next time it would be $72. Have also heard stories about Viper in Concord, NH getting tickets for no front plate.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Indiana is another car friendly state - No front plate, No vehicle inspections. Not a lot of mountains or lakes either though...

No place is perfect.</FONT f>

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kansas is also a car-friendly state: No front plates, no inspections, no smog tests, no nothing. Of course, the scenery throughout the majority is spectacular - if you like absolutely flat wheat fields...

They do provide you with front vanity plates in Kansas, but only guys like Frank actually put them on.
smile.gif
We have had personalized plates on every car since we moved here seven years ago and never put them on the front once. They don't issue expiration stickers for them and the police we talk to say it is basically to make the buyer of the plates feel better about dropping $40. I hang them in my garage on the wall of fame.

Chris

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger