Uneven Pad Wear

Red Devil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed Baer Rotors along with new pads. Have been trying to break the rotors and pads in a little at a time. Looking at one of the rear rotors I noticed that the pad has been braking on about half of the rotor surface. The back side of the rotor is wearing fine. I would say it is using about 1 inch or so. The pad looks to be even on the rotor but is not braking on the entire pad surface. Is this because the Pads are not all the way broke in or what. Could it be an uneven pad surface causing this?? Looking at the pads one would think they would correct themselfs with some miles.

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like one of the caliper pistons may not be moving against the pad with the same pressure as the other. Are they stock calipers, and when was the last time you worked on them/rebuilt them?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you using the Stop-tech 60-5mph xten and then drive for until brake rotors are completely cool, then 100-5 mph x 10 near stops? My rotors turned blue and smoked for a few minutes when I completed that break-in cycle. The pads need to be heated to a certain temp so that the surface coating melts and helps the break-in proceedure. I believe that doing the Stop-tech break-in described above also tempers the rotors.

Mine broke in and worked excellent. Go to Stop-tech's webpage and follow instructions for proper break-in proceedure. Maybe yours has to be different? Maybe you don't have anywhere you can go 100mph and then drive for miles and miles wihtout touching the brakes to allow the rotors and pads to cool???

Ted

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thing to check is the brake backing plate clearance. I just put some new pads on my GTS and I had to use my dremel tool to clean up the edges so would fit into the calipers. The backing plate is stamped out of steel but the shear line was really rough causing the pads to fit incorrectly.

Good luck!

OP
OP
R

Red Devil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HAve not worked on the calipers at all. Everything is in great shape as far as I know. The rotors that came off were in very good condition as were the pads.Would it help to take the pad off and unscrew the piston a little.Is there a chance I screwed it in too far. I did have more than enough room between the pads when I installed them.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HAve not worked on the calipers at all. Everything is in great shape as far as I know. The rotors that came off were in very good condition as were the pads.Would it help to take the pad off and unscrew the piston a little.Is there a chance I screwed it in too far. I did have more than enough room between the pads when I installed them.

No need to do that. The caliper is self adjusting. The important thing to make sure of is the brakepads move freely in the caliper and the caliper moves freely on the guide pins. The rear caliper only has a single piston on the inside. If everything is able to move freely, the pressure is equalized to both pads.

Last edited: