Unfortuante that the Gen V will be so pricey

djhartm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the owner of a heavily modded C6, I was eagerly watching the development of the Gen V Viper. But with a GTS base starting at $120k w/o options, there are just too many other options out there that are more appealing to me; namely the 2014 GTR, C7 and 911.

Given the fact that Viper dealers will likely be tacking on to this price, it is disappointing. Had the car been priced lower, it would have been a contender. As I see it now, only ******** Viper fans will be lining up, and that is a disservice to Fiat, and automotive enthusiasts in general..

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out the base SRT Viper. You'd be surprised how refined the "base" model is. It's $99k.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out the base SRT Viper. You'd be surprised how refined the "base" model is. It's $99k.

Agreed with this. To the OP...with everything that SRT gave us I'm actually surprised that it isn't more money for one. The car is surprisingly close in price to its predicesor and so much more refined in EVERY way. Not to mention...more power and more torque. I'm planning on a '14 for myself and hope i can make it happen. It'll be an SRT for me as a GTS is a bit out of my league but that's ok.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why settle for a car with a tiny motor when you can have a car with a great big motor...

Very well stated!

I'll only add that after driving the Gen V, seeing it and touching it in person, that Audi and Porsche are no better inside. The Gen V is a contender for anyone who doesn't have an anti domestic bias, and doesn't mind paying real money for a real car.

Corvettes are great cars for the money's and the ZR-1 Is a beast, but they are about as common as a Honda Accord.

The Viper has as much carbin fiber and aluminum as any super car, plus a drive train that can handle 600 lbs of torque. There aren't many cars like that for under $100,000.

We don't know what the new Viper will do on a track, but it's lighter, stiffer, and more powerful than the gen IV. I think it will do well.

~Jay

former345bhpLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm...none of those cars are even close to the Viper in terms of performance or driving excitement or exclusivity or appearance or....you get the idea.

It's true that the GTS has a much higher base price than either the 911 or the GTR, but they are priced pretty closely to the SRT Viper (base car) and similarly equipped in their basic forms. Especially the Porsche, the MSRP might be mid $80s, but Porsche charges extra for EVERYTHING (oh, you want four wheels another $3000, seatbelts $1000, windshield wipers $1500, etc). The GTR has an MSRP of $96K so it is basically the same price.

Furthermore, you can't get a car with anywhere near 640 bhp unless you buy one of the last ZR1s (which splits the difference between the base SRT and GTS price wise) or step up to a McLaren MP4-12C, both of which are merely close, but not equal.

Personally, I was pretty impressed with the price. For an extensively updated car that now has a carbon fiber body, leather dash, and fully revised suspension, and more power when the previous model was already ~$91K, the current price seems reasonable.

The thing that most impresses me though is the fact that the Viper remains such a connected driving experience compared to all of those other cars. It is still a driver's car (per the magazine first drives and VOI posts that I read), not a computer car that adjust your inputs. The GTR will secretly head out in the middle of the night and take drives without you (even in the left seat you are basically a passenger who gives directions), it's not so involved. One of my best friends had a '97 GTS for many years and I got to drive it quite a bit. It was MUCH, MUCH more fun than my C5 corvette, not just because it was significantly faster, but because you were rewarded for your hard work and you had to be mentally present for the whole drive. It felt special and exotic in a way that a Corvette can't match. I haven't driven a ZR1, but this same friend now has a 2009 Z06 and while the Z06 is definitely faster than the '97 GTS was, it is not as interesting to drive unless the car is near it's limits on the track or on a canyon road.

Anyway, long-winded post, but I bet that you will get a lot more for your money with a Gen V Viper than nearly any other sports car, even if you do spend >$100K.

Of course we all want different things out of our cars.

-Nick

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very well stated!

I'll only add that after driving the Gen V, seeing it and touching it in person, that Audi and Porsche are no better inside. The Gen V is a contender for anyone who doesn't have an anti domestic bias, and doesn't mind paying real money for a real car.

Corvettes are great cars for the money's and the ZR-1 Is a beast, but they are about as common as a Honda Accord.

The Viper has as much carbin fiber and aluminum as any super car, plus a drive train that can handle 600 lbs of torque. There aren't many cars like that for under $100,000.

We don't know what the new Viper will do on a track, but it's lighter, stiffer, and more powerful than the gen IV. I think it will do well.

~Jay

Hmm...none of those cars are even close to the Viper in terms of performance or driving excitement or exclusivity or appearance or....you get the idea.

It's true that the GTS has a much higher base price than either the 911 or the GTR, but they are priced pretty closely to the SRT Viper (base car) and similarly equipped in their basic forms. Especially the Porsche, the MSRP might be mid $80s, but Porsche charges extra for EVERYTHING (oh, you want four wheels another $3000, seatbelts $1000, windshield wipers $1500, etc). The GTR has an MSRP of $96K so it is basically the same price.

Furthermore, you can't get a car with anywhere near 640 bhp unless you buy one of the last ZR1s (which splits the difference between the base SRT and GTS price wise) or step up to a McLaren MP4-12C, both of which are merely close, but not equal.

Personally, I was pretty impressed with the price. For an extensively updated car that now has a carbon fiber body, leather dash, and fully revised suspension, and more power when the previous model was already ~$91K, the current price seems reasonable.

The thing that most impresses me though is the fact that the Viper remains such a connected driving experience compared to all of those other cars. It is still a driver's car (per the magazine first drives and VOI posts that I read), not a computer car that adjust your inputs. The GTR will secretly head out in the middle of the night and take drives without you (even in the left seat you are basically a passenger who gives directions), it's not so involved. One of my best friends had a '97 GTS for many years and I got to drive it quite a bit. It was MUCH, MUCH more fun than my C5 corvette, not just because it was significantly faster, but because you were rewarded for your hard work and you had to be mentally present for the whole drive. It felt special and exotic in a way that a Corvette can't match. I haven't driven a ZR1, but this same friend now has a 2009 Z06 and while the Z06 is definitely faster than the '97 GTS was, it is not as interesting to drive unless the car is near it's limits on the track or on a canyon road.

Anyway, long-winded post, but I bet that you will get a lot more for your money with a Gen V Viper than nearly any other sports car, even if you do spend >$100K.

Of course we all want different things out of our cars.

-Nick

Very well said.

The only car I'd take over the new viper is a Gen4 ACR. I think the price for both the SRT and GTS are spot on, sure I'd wish they were cheaper but at that price there is nothing else that catches my eye, my passion for cars and my taste better than the viper and I doubt there will be a better all around performance car at that price.

I'm looking forward to see how the corvette turns out. I certainly hope I will think it's amazing. I hope the latest renderings are wrong and it's not only better than the C6 but radically better looking. Not holding my breath though. Having said that the base new vette will not outperform the new viper and will be much cheaper so you can't do an apples to apples compassion and if we are talking Z06 or ZR1 trims you are looking to at a 2 year wait at minimum and as Jay said they will be everywhere. So I would say that if you are going to dump 120+ on car the viper should be top of the list.

Never mind my excitement I just came back from a joy drive. There is nothing like a viper enough said.

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it turns out that rumored price of $137,000 is true. "The premium for owning one of the 150 limited Launch Edition GTS Vipers? An additional $15,500 on the sticker, putting a GTS Viper with the Launch Edition package at $137,890."

SRT Viper is a great value. At just under a 100k, I'm not sold on the GTS or all the pricey options, but let's face it, my 2013 won't be parked in my garage until at least 2018. If ever.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have a Chevy store and a Z06 runs around 100k and a ZR1 is right close to 130K ------------so SRT for the same as a Z06 , or GTS for a ZR1 price ( hmmmm............seems like SRT is spot on the competition, price wise )

Viper Itch, 137K was quoted over and over as the MSRP, please don't continue to disseminate misinformation when Base price is actually 99,390 with destination in a SRT and 122,390 with destination for a GTS. One special model that is in that range does not an MSRP make. The bulk of our ordered cars will be well under that figure.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the car is a bargain for what you get. The GTS will cater to a different client and bring more folks to the VCA. The SRT is no slouch either at just below 100k.

Bruce

OP
OP
D

djhartm

Enthusiast
Reaction score

-Nick

I respectfully disagree with that statement. The GTR will hand a Viper it's head in any measure of acceleration, especially from a dig. That motor is also very easy to get to ridiculous levels of power. We all know that the car's computers are doing the heavy work and Joe Schmo can get in & wax most drivers on a road course because of that, but it is what it is. The 911 was again rated as the Best Drivers Car by a recent US mag and is no slouch, and the C7 (yeah you can wax poetic about 'commonality, but I *still* get positive compliments from strangers on my 2005) will certainly be a contender (especially in Z07 - or whatever they will call it - form) with it's revamped interior.

I guess I shouldn't write the Viper off the list until I a) see one in person, and b) research a bit more what the base model will actually include. Of course if dealers are tacking-on ridiculous fees, then its onto something else... You can get GTR's under MSRP and I picked my C6 up as one of the first to arrive in CA in September of 2004 for under MSRP. The dealer even paid for my flight to pickup the car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

djhartm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a Chevy store and a Z06 runs around 100k and a ZR1 is right close to 130K ------------so SRT for the same as a Z06 , or GTS for a ZR1 price ( hmmmm............seems like SRT is spot on the competition, price wise )

Uh, yeah but nobody is paying sticker on those cars, nor have they been for a long time... Check out the sponsored dealer's prices and deals on Corvette Forum, so this point is essentially moot. Fully agree with your other points though.

Last edited:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh, yeah but nobody is paying sticker on those cars, nor have they been for a long time... Check out the sponsored dealer's prices and deals on Corvette Forum, so this point is essentially moot. Fully agree with your other points though.

Comparing outgoing cars to a fresh design limited production hand built exotic that doesn't have a $49k version in the lineup.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Fact - not one single complaint on pricing from the large number of deposits we have on the 2013. Two are Ferrari owners, couple of Porsche owners, bunch of Vette owners, and a snake pit of Viper owners. Only one griping are enthusiasts with 8 posts who amaze me that they come on Forums only to gripe. Not being rude, but what is your purpose, as the word enthusiast means you like something , and if you do not, why complain on a site that promotes the passion for a certain machine?? Seems like it would be more appropriate to go complain on the GTR site for instance.

Lastly I get a kick out of what supposedly folks can do with a GTR , or Porsche, or Vette based on a magazine , yet folks can not ignore a little track in Germany that lists a 2010 ACR as the fastest production car around .
So far not a single Vette , Porsche or GTR has outrun that Venom Red ACR in my picture and I can name a ton of others who can say the same, so you will find it ******* this Forum to prove a point by opinions of car rags or your theories. This is pretty much a place that deals in facts and we are all rightfully proud that a 2 year old car has eclipsed so many others . Those that have driven the new Viper , which has the best weight to hp ratio other than a Ferrari F12 or a Bugatti Veyron, have a bit of a problem rationalizing any of your complaints, as the bulk of the buying public is stunned that a basically carbon fiber sports car will come out with a base price around 100K. NUff said!!!

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I see it now, only ******** Viper fans will be lining up

I was brought up in Europe on V12 Jags and although been in the US for 30 years, $150,000+ is still considered very good value for owning an ultra high-performance car on the other side of the pond. It's like the price of gas...folk over here get frantic with gas prices hovering around $4/gal. In the UK, it's been about $8 for ages. Not only the car, but the car's pricing may be very very appealing to many outside the US.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill is right on target. the HP to weight ratio is off the charts on this car.

Bruce

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can say I drove the Gen V and it was very interesting. It handled very well It was very comfortable. Not much power - I mean anything under 1000HP is kind of slow. But honestly it was very torquey. When i got on the gas it was instant power. We went through a slalom course and this is where a car with 1/2 the HP in my cars would wipe the walls with me. Coming out of the corner the power was right there. Going through the autocross in my red Viper, by the time you got into some gas and the turbos were getting ready to come on it was time to turn again, so having the turbos was wasted in an environment like that. In my Vipers I have WAY more power but I have the turbo lag, and the Gen V power was just right there, it was very impressive.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the GT-R is a great car, the performance is insane. But sadly, it is absolutely boring on the outside, IMO. Plus, the consensus seems to be it is a computer that does the driving for you.

Z06's, 90% of them are in the $90k range anymore, which is crazy. The ZR1 is the same price as the GTS, so not much argument there in terms of pricing.

For a base $100,000 performance car, I think it is a good deal. If assumptions hold true (power/weight ratio) it will run circles around almost all $300,000 cars. I assume the Aventador and GT-R (Maybe turbo S as well) will be the only things faster off the line when we see the performance figures.

F

FrgMstr

As the owner of a heavily modded C6, I was eagerly watching the development of the Gen V Viper. But with a GTS base starting at $120k w/o options, there are just too many other options out there that are more appealing to me; namely the 2014 GTR, C7 and 911.

Given the fact that Viper dealers will likely be tacking on to this price, it is disappointing. Had the car been priced lower, it would have been a contender. As I see it now, only ******** Viper fans will be lining up, and that is a disservice to Fiat, and automotive enthusiasts in general..

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
D

djhartm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Bill, I get a kick out of people who buy cars solely because of what that car did on a particular track, then blast others when they challenge that decision with objective facts from a plethora of trade 'rags'. I may have only 8 or so posts here, but rest assured, based on your arrogant post, IF I decide to buy a Viper, I surely won't be calling your dealership. You really should think before you post.

So what if the ACR holds the record on the ring; it most likely scared the living **** out of the drivers and says nothing about the fact that Vipers get their rears handed to them on a regular basis by 'lesser' cars on track days and auto-x events such as the 911's, GT-R's and lowly Vettes. The ACR was a purpose-build race-car that was barely street legal. Fast but crude as a 100 year old John Deere. How many of those cars are daily drivers???

But hey, if that's your deal or what causes your customers to write their deposit checks (we'll see how many of them actually follow through), more power to y'all.

I started this thread stating that I was very interested in the Gen V but somewhat dismayed at the pricing of the GTS model. Many responded with intelligent posts and to those people, I thank you. I personally feel the new car is beautiful & has tremendous potential.

Last edited:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with that statement. The GTR will hand a Viper it's head in any measure of acceleration, especially from a dig. That motor is also very easy to get to ridiculous levels of power.

Im assuming you are talking bone stock to bone stock. Ive seen the numbers at the strip from stocker's and the et advantage is to the GTR but trap speed is advantage Viper. So Id imagine on a highway roll the advantage may not be to the GTR on the big end as it may seem. Thats just straight line though.

Either car you can't go wrong if you are a true car guy. With cars this capable it may just come down to the subjective things like looks. Both can be modded into just ridiculous beasts so how could anyone not respect both. Pick the one that suits you best.

BTW Im just waiting for people to start panning cars like the GT3/GT2 RS etc which are cars just like the ACR, street cars with a focus toward track. Nobody discounts the Porsches for there track tuned focus eventhough they are street cars too. But the ACR o lawd it just brings out the hate like no other lol. How is a 3500lb, heavy leather seated, full interiored, steel rotored, AC and radioed car with a wing and canards a "purpose-built racecar"? The GT2/GT3 come with rollcages, stripped down interior, CCB brakes etc etc. They are more purpose-built than the ACR yet they dont get this type of verbiage and panning that the ACR gets. Strange. BTW the ACR is faster than both of them dispite its more plebian parts.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Your follow up is right back at knocking Vipers , so back to my original question --- what is your purpose if you are an enthusiast.

I am not going to even continue to comment as I have been racing for 30 years , and your John Deere comment in relation to the ACR does not even merit a response.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im assuming you are talking bone stock to bone stock. Ive seen the numbers at the strip from stocker's and the et advantage is to the GTR but trap speed is advantage Viper. So Id imagine on a highway roll the advantage may not be to the GTR on the big end as it may seem. Thats just straight line though.

Either car you can't go wrong if you are a true car guy. With cars this capable it may just come down to the subjective things like looks. Both can be modded into just ridiculous beasts so how could anyone not respect both. Pick the one that suits you best.

I just can't get over how boring the GT-R is in the looks dept.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just can't get over how boring the GT-R is in the looks dept.

Comparatively I agree. But it does have a charm all its own. Ive been around them and the looks have grown on me but they are not in the Vipers league in the looks dept imho. Thats the subjective aspect I was talking about. But I respect the heck out of them. No need to knock a car as capable as the GTR or the Viper with the John Deere comments etc. I think the OP has revealed his intent with his last few posts imho.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone that drives one will want one if they have the means to purchase IMHO. I was highly impressed with the base model in yellow w/ the track package. The Gen V will be a world ******... first class interior with all the latest technology, launch control, etc... I'm really interested to see what the car magazines have to say about it once they do a full test later this year.

Comparing a Viper to a Vette or GTR is just silly. The other cars are great vehicles, but the Viper is in another league. If you want to go fast and not care about shifting gears, then the GTR is your car. I also like the Z06 and ZR1, but for me... the car has to look special. I'm not trying to convince you OP (dyhartm), just stating my opinion.

OP, I don't really understand your comment about Vipers getting beat at the track all the time... that has everything to do with the driver and much less to do with the car when you are talking about amateur drivers. I was passing a number of Vipers last weekend at VOI in my 11 year old GTS... doesn't make my car a better track car than a Gen IV just because I passed one.

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Bill, I get a kick out of people who buy cars solely because of what that car did on a particular track, then blast others when they challenge that decision with objective facts from a plethora of trade 'rags'. I may have only 8 or so posts here, but rest assured, based on your arrogant post, IF I decide to buy a Viper, I surely won't be calling your dealership. You really should think before you post.

So what if the ACR holds the record on the ring; it most likely scared the living **** out of the drivers and says nothing about the fact that Vipers get their rears handed to them on a regular basis by 'lesser' cars on track days and auto-x events such as the 911's, GT-R's and lowly Vettes. The ACR was a purpose-build race-car that was barely street legal. Fast but crude as a 100 year old John Deere. How many of those cars are daily drivers???

But hey, if that's your deal or what causes your customers to write their deposit checks (we'll see how many of them actually follow through), more power to y'all.

I started this thread stating that I was very interested in the Gen V but somewhat dismayed at the pricing of the GTS model. Many responded with intelligent posts and to those people, I thank you. I personally feel the new car is beautiful & has tremendous potential.
we have an answer. you said [ if i buy a viper ] get real you will never buy a viper. now go take your ford pinto for a drive.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BTW Im just waiting for people to start panning cars like the GT3/GT2 RS etc which are cars just like the ACR, street cars with a focus toward track. Nobody discounts the Porsches for there track tuned focus eventhough they are street cars too. But the ACR o lawd it just brings out the hate like no other lol. How is a 3500lb, heavy leather seated, full interiored, steel rotored, AC and radioed car with a wing and canards a "purpose-built racecar"? The GT2/GT3 come with rollcages, stripped down interior, CCB brakes etc etc. They are more purpose-built than the ACR yet they dont get this type of verbiage and panning that the ACR gets. Strange. BTW the ACR is faster than both of them dispite its more plebian parts.

Excellent post!

There is a lot of hate for the ACR for sure. I love it!

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comparatively I agree. But it does have a charm all its own. Ive been around them and the looks have grown on me but they are not in the Vipers league in the looks dept imho. Thats the subjective aspect I was talking about. But I respect the heck out of them. No need to knock a car as capable as the GTR or the Viper with the John Deere comments etc. I think the OP has revealed his intent with his last few posts imho.

Yep, fantastic piece of machinery, just not for me. I don't get the brand debates, I appreciate any performance vehicle out there. It is an art and not everything will be everyone style.

Ariel Atom looks terrible, but my god is it an amazing vehicle!

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You don't buy an ACR to daily drive, that's kinda common sense....

and btw, how many manufactures are putting ring times in there commercials now? I can think of 3-4 off the top of my head. If it wasn't a big deal why would manufactures spend millions telling the ***** about it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187