Update on RT/10 rear window

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As some of you may recall, my window on my RT/10 shattered a couple of months ago... http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/631759-rear-window-rt-10-shattered.html

Well, I was afraid to call the insurance company because we've had two at fault accidents within the last 1 1/2 years. I called the other day and my agent said that I have glass coverage and it covers the rear window. Glass claims do not affect your claim status with State Farm so I'm good. State Farm claims department called me and gave me a claim number. They told me to have Dodge fax them the invoice for the new window and they'd cut them a check. The complete rear window came to $544.39.

I spoke with Eddie Martin this morning and he ordered it for me.

So, for those of you who have RT/10's, replacement windows ARE available from Dodge. I checked around and found some for sale at some very unreasonable prices. One guy wanted $850 for a new one.

Now I'll just pray that everything I've been told is true and I'll have a new back window in a couple weeks. Stay tuned.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This glass is available direct from the manufacturer for $350.00. When Dodge replaced mine under warranty a few years ago I got my hands on a copy of the dealer invoice. If memory serves me it came directly from Safelite.

OP
OP

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New gasket is included. We did have to move the three snaps and two locking mechanisms.

What do you mean you had to move the three snap rings and locking mechanisms? Aren't these in pre-set positions? I'm confused?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The snap rings and locking mechanisms are easily removed and changed to new glass. I actually did it myself as to not take a chance of dealer messing up my car. If memory serves me, the locking mecanisms just have a small plastic cap. Once you remove it, you just unthread the lock ring and move to new window. Obviously you need to pay attention to the alignment.

Did the new glass you bought already come with snaps and new locks on it?

OP
OP

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supposedly, according to Eddie Martin, the window comes complete. If it arrives and does not have the locks or snaps, I'm still ok because I kept my old ones. I'll let everyone know.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supposedly, according to Eddie Martin, the window comes complete. If it arrives and does not have the locks or snaps, I'm still ok because I kept my old ones. I'll let everyone know.

If you do find yourself with extra locks(w/key) please let me know. I'm looking for a set of locks and key. I don't think they're sold seperately from the window.

Thx - Tony

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I got a replacement window last year it included both the spring loaded pins on top and the straps & snaps on the bottom.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like there must be two ways to get the rear glass. ONe method includes everything, the other just the glass w/seal.

OP
OP

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My window came in a couple of weeks ago. No hardware. I just took my old locks and put them in the new window. The new window is plastic from the dealership, not glass. Here are some pics.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

OP
OP

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also think I've solved how the window originally broke. My friend that owns the Lotus Elise read a post on his board that one of their member's rear window was shattered by a small rock that entered the cabin through the open roof. He was following a friend and a rock was kicked up, came through the top and the back window was toast. This sounds very similar to what happened to me. The Lotus people have someone that makes a Lexan type cover that guards the inside rear window and it's held by suction cups to prevent this. Since my new window is plastic, I shoudn't have to worry about any glass breakage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang