using a buffer

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all.

I am a loyal Zaino guy. Use nothing but Zaino. I recently bought a buffer, just a simple 1 speed 6" buffer. My questions are:

What product should I use when using the buffer? Can I just use the Z-2? How easy is it to screw up a paint job when using a buffer? Any hints, warnings, or advice is greatly appreciated.

I already practiced using an older sander/buffer type on my ****** car and I love the results.

Thanks again
Matt.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not an expert here, but I think there would be little to gain by using a buffer to apply Z2. Z5 or Z-PC would be a different story,(Z5 is useless so just get the PC) there is some abrasive in it. The only buffer you should be working with is a random orbital, otherwise you will ruin your paint. Get a Porter Cable and be careful and you should be fine.

OP
OP
M

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not an expert here, but I think there would be little to gain by using a buffer to apply Z2. Z5 or Z-PC would be a different story,(Z5 is useless so just get the PC) there is some abrasive in it. The only buffer you should be working with is a random orbital, otherwise you will ruin your paint. Get a Porter Cable and be careful and you should be fine.

Whats a porter cable? :confused: . I have Z-PC. My buffer is a orbital that has just one speed, will I be ok?

My thoughts are, a coat of Z-PC and then follow it up with a few coats of Z-2. I will probably practice on my ****** car. If anyone else has any thoughts or ideas for me please let me know.

Thanks
-Matt

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use what the pros use:

http://www.rightlook.com/
I have seen these products in professional detail shops.
I have been using these products, and was asked this past weekend what I use on the car; this was at a car show where "show and shine" is the ultimate.

Later,

OP
OP
M

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is one of the most popular buffers that is well liked here:
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?A+coastest+zjqp7856ff73c273+PORT7424+1082908585#cart

Literally impossible to screw things up with this buffer. I wouldn't use anything else.

Thaks to all for your help. What is the difference btwn that buffer and this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id=165404&cm_ven=1hd.com2yahoo&cm_cat=shopping&cm_pla=prod&cm_ite=prod

Other than the fact that the first one youcan change speeds (2,500-6,000) while the second one is constant at 4,000.

Also, the main focus to my original question was to learn what to do with the buffer. I mean the steps or the products.

Thanks again
Matt

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion a buffer is to aggressive for what you want to do. I suggest the Porter Cable Random Orbital Sander from Autotopia (above).

The problem I have had with the buffer is it leaves "Holograms". To much heat...it liqufies the wax and you can't get an even coat. Not to mention you could burn through the clear coat on your car. It's clumsy, throws polish, compound and wax everywhere.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Griot's garage orbital, LOVE IT. Next to impossible to damage the car

It has 3 levels of polish for getting out swirls to scratches, depending on how deep you want to go into the clearcoat