Using a HANS device in a 2008 Viper

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Viper convertible on order which I hope to receive in the next month or two. The car will have an Autoform rollbar, one inch seat lowering kits for driver and passenger and HANS-compatible Teamtech six-point harnesses for driver and passenger.

Question: I plan on using a HANS device with the car for driving schools and HPDEs. Has anyone used a HANS device with their Gen III Viper? I have researched a few companies like Stand 21 and it looks like there are two tethers or cables that secure to the helmet. Do mounting points need to be attached or drilled into the car itself or is the entire system self contained in the "brace" portion of the HANS device (the thing that goes over your head and rests on your shoulders)?

Thanks.

/Rich

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hans Devices come in different neck support angles that work with different seat angles. A Gen III uses a Hans "20", which is pretty much the standard sports car seat model. You also have to pick the neck opening size: Small, Medium and Large. I'm 5'10, 160# and use a 20M. The 20's are discounted to around $900 while the more rare 30's (Formula Fords, Skip Barber Formula Dodge, etc.) cost full retail around $1,200. I use the detachable teathers that cost an extra $90 but they make it much easier to remove your helmet and if I ever find myself upside down should be able to ditch the Hans and hasten my exit with a tug on each teather. It took a while to get used to the limited head swivel, but now I never get on a track without it and consider it as important as my roll bar.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to change to 3” harnesses that are narrowed to 2” over the neck area. This is done to fit into the channel on the Hans Device. The ones I use in my race car are made by “Crow”. Other brands build these as well.
I have a set of teamtec 5 point for my GTS and there is no way I would be comfortable using the Hans with them.
Glad to here you are looking into safety equipment. It’s the best upgrade.

Dan

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might want to change to 3” harnesses that are narrowed to 2” over the neck area. This is done to fit into the channel on the Hans Device. The ones I use in my race car are made by “Crow”. Other brands build these as well.
I have a set of teamtec 5 point for my GTS and there is no way I would be comfortable using the Hans with them.
Glad to here you are looking into safety equipment. It’s the best upgrade.

Dan

Dan --

Thanks for the heads up. I actually ordered HANS-compatible harnesses from Teamtech. They appear to have an "hourglass" shape at the shoulder straps which may be the taper to which you refer:

teamtech_hans_6pt_harness_01.jpg

These differ visibly from the "regular" six-point harnesses I installed in my 2006:

car_3.jpg

/Rich

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I highly reccomend using a HANS device - I've actually "used" my hans in a head on collision and it was, and still is worth every penny.

I don't know if you already have a helmet or are helmet shopping. You can order some helmets new from the factory with the HANS anchors pre-installed. Otherwise I would reccomend that you purchase your HANS from a factory trained Hans Dealer ( they have a list by state on hansdevice.com under dealer locator ). They'll drill and install your Hans anchors on your helmet. My hans dealer gave me my first set of anchors with the purchase of my Hans device, but did charge me $50 for a second set of anchors for a spare helmet I had done also.

Regarding the "quick release teathers" - you can tie the two pull cords together in the front, making it one quick release tug instead of pulling each side individually.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I highly reccomend using a HANS device - I've actually "used" my hans in a head on collision and it was, and still is worth every penny.

I don't know if you already have a helmet or are helmet shopping. You can order some helmets new from the factory with the HANS anchors pre-installed. Otherwise I would reccomend that you purchase your HANS from a factory trained Hans Dealer ( they have a list by state on hansdevice.com under dealer locator ). They'll drill and install your Hans anchors on your helmet. My hans dealer gave me my first set of anchors with the purchase of my Hans device, but did charge me $50 for a second set of anchors for a spare helmet I had done also.

Regarding the "quick release teathers" - you can tie the two pull cords together in the front, making it one quick release tug instead of pulling each side individually.

TSR6 --

I need a new helmet (old one is only Snell 95); I spoke with my local supplier today and he recommended the Bell M4 which he said he can order from the factory with the HANS tether connectors preinstalled. He is not yet a HANS dealer so I will need to find the HANS elsewhere. I assume that the helmet tether connectors are universal so that ordering the helmet and connectors from him and then getting the HANS from another supplier will not be a compatibility issue.

Thanks for the link by the way.

/Rich

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting on www.hansdevice.com there are a two area HANS device dealers:

MJ2 Racing

and

Primitive Enterprises (also known as Primitive Racing)

Has anyone out there had any experiences, positive or negative, with either company? Thanks.

/Rich

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TSR6 --

I need a new helmet (old one is only Snell 95); I spoke with my local supplier today and he recommended the Bell M4 which he said he can order from the factory with the HANS tether connectors preinstalled. He is not yet a HANS dealer so I will need to find the HANS elsewhere. I assume that the helmet tether connectors are universal so that ordering the helmet and connectors from him and then getting the HANS from another supplier will not be a compatibility issue.

Thanks for the link by the way.

/Rich

Rich,

No, there would not be a compatibility issue. When Bell installs your helmet anchors, they come directly from HANS, made specifically for the Hans tethers. Most helmet manufacturers now at least offer some sort of Hans installation with factory-order helmets now. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4