Valentine One Installation

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">I velcro'd the main unit onto the top of the rear view mirror, velcro'd a small "L" shaped piece of sheet metal to the back of the mirror and the bottom of the V1 for extra support, ran the power wire behind the windshield frame and mounted the remote display on to the top of the steering column, again with velcro. Used a Radio Shack fuse tap for power.

Clean install and very happy with the result.</FONT f>

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did pretty much what Ron did:

1. Put the main unit above the mirror, but I used the suction cups instead. I did that so I can swap it between vehicles very easily. The cord runs behind the windshield frame:

<center>
You must be registered for see images
</center>

It runs down to the remote display, which is attached by double-faced tape to the top of the steering column:

<center>
</center>

The whole thing is wired to a power source that is only on when the car is running. Car turns off, so does the V1.

Funny side story: About a year ago I had a cop pull up behind me at night at a stop light. He could see the main V1 unit up top, but because the remote display makes the main unit totally dark, he couldn't see it going off. He must have decided he wanted to see it light up, because he started hitting me with all KINDS of radar as I sat there. The remote was going nuts,the top unit stayed dark, and I was laughing my butt off. The light turned green and he pulled around me and gave me a thumbs up. Pretty funny!

Chris

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really wish Virginia did not have laws against radar detectors. When I finally get one, I have to make sure they can't see it. Any tips on where to mount it to make it "invisible" to the naked eye?

&lt;sigh&gt;

Steve

wiseasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recoil,

I mounted my V1 above the mirror and had a tint company put a "brow" across the front windshield above the mirror. I then ran the wire for the display down right above the lighter. Night or day you can't see it.

Good Luck,
ROB

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Chris;

I tried the suction cup mount also but for some reason my mirror is mounted too high for the unit to fit in the bracket, hence the velco plan. I know I could break the mirror off and remount, but find it too risky.... Plus it's a bit less visable externally this way.

</FONT f>

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recoil,

I have a V-1 and love it. It is by far the best detector I've used. The directional display and bogey counter cannot be beat. I've had a remote mount radar detector in nearly every car I've owned over the past 20 years. Unfortunately, to be effective, the V-1 has to be near the top of the windshield -- not a good idea in a state like Virginia where detectors are illegal.

So I bought a Bel Vector Remote (model 815R). We mounted the receiver up under the plastic plate in front of the air intake, so that the receiver is just behind the nose. (Radar can pass thru the fascia no problem.) If you look under the hood you can't see it. My friend Bryon did a trick install of the display unit inside the ashtray. A little surgery was necessary to the inside of the console to accomodate the depth of the display, but nothing's visible from the outside. So when I want to use the detector all I have to do is open the lid to the ashtray and turn on the display unit.

I've driven for several months with the Bel and have found it to be very dependable. This past weekend, en route to Englishtown, I had a chance to compare the V-1 and the Bel. Since I-95 and the NJ Turnpike are generally crawling with mobile tax collectors, I knew it would be a good test. Once I entered Maryland from Virginia, I hooked up the V-1 in its familiar place at the top of the windshield, just right of the mirror. Throughout the trip, there was not one time that the V-1 picked up radar significantly sooner than the Bel. (Even though the Bel was mounted lower than the V-1 and behind the front fascia) The V-1 was in Full Logic mode, and as such, did not give any false alarms. I haven't figured out if the Bel has a similar setting. The Bel did go off a lot more than the V-1, but every time I actually saw a tax collector both alarms went off.

So, in conclusion, for those of us in the Old Dominion, the remote mount Bel is a very viable alternative to the Valentine One. It appears to be no less sensitive than the V-1, and I would actually recommend it over the V-1 if undercover operation is of primary consideration. Although there are front and rear laser receivers which connect to the Bel, I omitted them from my installation, since they have to be mounted to the windshield and rear windows, and any idiot can see them and figure out what they are. Besides, even the Valentine user manual admits that, since there is virtually no splash from laser, by the time your detector picks up laser, you're already f****d. In any state, if you get stopped by the tax collector and he can see that you've got a radar detector on your windshield, you're going to have to work a little harder to pass the "attitude test."

wiseasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,

The way I mounted it was so all the hardware and suction cups are on the tint. The "eye" of the detector is just below the tint. Since everything is black you can not see it.

ROB

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"if you get stopped by the tax collector and he can see that you've got a radar detector on your windshield, you're going to have to work a little harder to pass the "attitude test."

It is for this reason that I fail to see the need for a remote display in a state where detectors are legal. Whenever I've been stopped, the first thing I do is rip all the 'stuff' off the windshield and put the lighter back in. Also, a permanent connection at the mirror to the wiring harness leaves a connector hanging out to be seen and will take longer to get the detector off if stopped.

My concealed V1 display consists of a 1/4" flat washer wrapped in a 2" piece of Scotch 33M tape. If someone's behind me, I flip the washer down over the display. cost: 2-3 cents

Steve

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After being pulled over for doing 62 in a 55 mph zone an Illinois state trooper informed me of a catch 22 situation with detectors here in our state. In Illinois radar detectors are legal. However it is illegal to mount them on the windshield or on the dash, because it interfers with your line of sight. My V1 was on my windshield. The only legal place inside the car would be on the sun visor. So if your stopped in our state it might be wise to stealthy remove your detector during the officers walk to your car. Being Father's Day he gave me a warning ticket.

Jim Peffers

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tom,
In reference to the "catch-22" situation in Illinois, you might try what I did. Purchase a camera mount from GTSDean (Dean Word) and attach the V1 main unit to it with small bungee cords. When mounted in such a way, the unit is between the seats and behind you and up high enough to see out both the front and rear windows. The remote unit is still mounted on the steering column. In this way, the entire installation is almost invisible. Since I only rarely use a video camera in the Viper, this seemed like a good use for the mount which is not easily removable. Incidentally, the camera mount is very solid and substantial, Dean did a great job designing it - I highly recommend it.

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My VEC1 engine indicator box is velcro'd to the steering column, so I fit the V1 remote box into the stock ashtray, and simply close the lid if someone walks up to the car. The main unit is above the the rear view mirror, mounted with the suction cups, with the cord run up under the molding and down through the dash and into the console.

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't quite understand it. I go through this site and think to myself, these guys are great, they know about all this engine stuff and thier cars are awesome. At the same time I read the responses to this question and i am left puzzled. not to put any body down, but don't you have a custom work guy who can install the valentine in a clean, integrated way? I have the valentine radar also, but mine is integrated into the dash (display is) then the detector part is mounted on the roof (inside the car that is!) right in the middle, behind me, right in front of where the rear glass meets the body. the electornics are in a small contoured box that looks like it's part of the car. the front and rear detection are not obstructed and it works great. you could do it yourself, I think you just need the remote unit to mount on the roof. the guy who did it for me does incredible work. He did not charge me a lot either. I saw what hennessey wanted for the same type of setup - what a joke. I'm sure if you called him he could get you the proper parts ( he might have fabricated the box himself but I doubt it.) his name is Mike and the place is called mobile extreme, he's in NY and the number is 914-345-0848. tell him greg tembeck refered you and was curious how he did the radar in the viper. warning: he's a little abrasive, so be prepared (but aren't those the things you must deal with when someone does a good job?). If he doesn't want to help e-mail me and I'll talk to him.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
unclgreggy,
I remain unclear why the V1 installation must be 'integrated' into the car. Above, or above and to the right of the rear view mirror impairs visibility minimally. I have 2 V1's. One for work and one for the Viper. We have other cars as well and I like the portability of moving the V1's around. Our viper is a convertible. Your man would have to be a magician to put it 'inside' the rag top. Further, were it to be installed in the hard top liner, there would be a plug-in to deal with. I don't find the coil cord to the lighter at all intrusive and with a double plug at that point, I plug my Star Tac in and wedge it between the passenger seat and the console. I surmise from your post that would be un-integrated as well.

To each his own

Steve

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple comments:

Steve - the main reason I went with the remote display was that it was cheap ($39 as I recall) and the main unit doesn't flash when an unmarked car tails you. We have unmarked Camaros, Mustangs, and even a Firebird or two that will sneak up on you at a moment's notice. With the remote I don't worry about setting myself up as a criminal, even if I am going below the speed limit. I can see them coming (by radar) but they don't see the detector going off. Weirdly enough, they never notice the main unit, even when they are sitting in the car.

unclgreggy - I went the "cheap-o" route for two reasons:
1. I move my detector between three cars and it is much easier this way
2. Spending the money on something this simple seemed better devoted to brake upgrades, exhaust upgrades, etc. The car looks perfect if I need it to - I just pull the V1 unit out and tuck the cord into the windshield frame and behind the visor. Personally, if I wanted to dump any more money into it (and I don't), I would buy the version that is integrated into the rearview mirror or something similar. I have designated my Yukon as my electronics showcase and my Viper as my power showcase. Nonetheless, I would LOVE to see some pictures of your set up if you could post them!

On a related note, I noticed my V1 doesn't seem to be quite on spot anymore. "Falses" pretty easily (including other radar detectors, electronic doors, etc.) and seems to take a while before activating on a real radar source (sometimes giving me barely any notice). Not as in love with it as I once was...

Chris

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">unclgreggy;

My V1 install style was predicated on the desire to do nothing that can not be undone, leaving the car 100% stock. I've regretted modifying several cars in the past that I could have sold for much more if they were 100% original. No matter how professional the modification, stock wins the resale battle 99 times out of 100.

For someone unconcerned about resale (or just keeping a car stock), I would agree that there are marginally better ways to get the job done.</FONT f>

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, let me start by saying the reason I responded to the post that way was because Jim used the word "install". The word install to me implies that he wanted it to be almost like it was a part of the car.

next, i didnt mean to suggest that this was a better way, just a cleaner and more professional way. to me the car should be a total package. Why spend all that money on engine upgrades, and suspensions, etc. and then have your interior look like one of those cars where the guy puts two speakers at the back window and all the wires are exposed for everyone to see all the while people are laughing as they drive buy him. I'm not saying people are laughing at you but I think you get the point. I'm sure that the way you guys have it is fine and works fine. I was actually very impressed at all the work that you guys have put into your cars and was a little shocked that since you go all out on the engine, why wouldn't you go all out for a little detector upgrade. Besides I only payed about $250 to have it installed that includes the remote, the little box, etc. the radar itself cost about $400 if i remember correctly.

anyway, for those with rt10s, I believe you could still mount it on that little bar in the back, it's not that big.

Chris,
I'll try to take pictures this week - gotta get a camera from someone first. I was going to do the mirror install but opted not to because It would have taken longer so I told him I would change out after a month or so(just wanted my car back - you know how that is). months turned into about a year and I still haven't done it. actually another tuner friend of mine asked me the other day why i didn't do the mirror, and he said he would do it for nothing If I would let him show it to people. cool. so I should have that soon.

Ron, it is done in such a way that you probably wouldn't even know a radar is in there. the volume button is separated from the display, and the display is in the dash cut neatly above the lighter. I know this sounds like a crappy spot, but I decided to put it there for a few reasons. first I had felt much like you that if I sold it I might want to take it out and have the car bone stock. having it in that center console means that only that center piece is scrap. to replace it would be noting as opposed to the large dash piece. second it would mount nice and flush. third I felt that to me the most important thing would be to here it go off. (that idea actually fell out the window once i started tinkering with the engine). to those of you who want to do something like this you could mount the display anywhere really.

does any one want to know what is even better than the radar and is much cheaper? Have some friends that are cops - if they are real friends they can get you out of anything, trust me. I have a few friends in several different departments and they've gotten me out of some real bad ones. just wish I had known these guys 5 years ago when I had a very heavy foot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187