VEC 2 vs. Split Second??????

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you explain a little futher how the two work? The Paxton kit comes with only the Split Second and they claim its laptop tuneable. Is Split Second a piggy back and VEC2 completely replaces the factory engine management software?>

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I only own the thing and pilot it. Bill does all the tuning and work on it.:p

bill are you out there please chime in

vd..

Bill M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Split Second is a piggy back pc programable unit that adjusts the MAP signal, the VEC2 is also a piggy back unit, but it adjusts the injector pulse width. They both handle timing, although the Split-Sec cannot advance timing, only retard.

The Paxton kit does not supply the tuning software, when you buy the VEC2 it comes with the software.

I wouldn't say one is any better than another as we have used both individually with excellent results. I would have to say the VEC2 has a more user friendly programming interface and it's easier to change programs by swiping cards.

The setup we have in Viper D's car is unique. As far as I know, it's the only Gen 3 that is using a VEC2 to control fuel and timing with a Paxton unit. We are only using the Split-Sec to turn on the fuel pumps. We are also working on a system that will allows us to bypass the use of the Split-Sec unit completely.

Bill

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Bill.

Have you figured what kind of HP numbers you can tune out of the Paxton with the what is provided in their kit alone (fuel pumps, SC, split sec) AND the appropriate tuning of split second? From what I've learned the tune that comes with the kit is 50 state legal and quite conservative. I'll be curious what kind of numbers you can garner from the kit alone. Thanks again.

Bill M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a completely stock car I would have to guess 600+ wheel HP with the base Paxton kit. That's only playing with timing and not the fuel map in the Split-Sec unit. On a stock car, you shouldn't have to mess with the fuel map, just timing, as the fuel system that comes with the kit supplies plenty of fuel.

We will be installing another kit shortly, but it will be modified.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I to will be getting the VEC2 for my Paxton setup. I feel Sean Roe has put in a lot of time into the system, and it's more suited for the car. As a matter of fact, it's designed for the Viper specifically, by someone thats into supercharging Vipers for a living. The VEC2 is not a universal device, with no telling how many hours of work put into it.

I did ask this very question to Bill and VD and after thinking about it, there advise seems most logical.

Skip White

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Bill,

Regarding the SRT Paxton kit, the Split Sec only retards the timing and drives the external pumps like that of the Gen 2 kit? On the Gen 2 kit, the first external pump is energized @ 4" of vacuum and the second is energized @ 1.5 LB of boost. The supplied FCU then ramps up the fuel pressure via it's vacuum/boost reference. This is what I've gathered by looking at the Split Sec software which shows me there is no real way to tune this particular combination. Hence the use of the VEC2 which will allow you to control the stock injectors and timing?

Bill M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Split Sec allows you to adjust fuel as well. You can do this by using the purple wire on the Split-Sec. We used the Vec 2 on Viper D's car because we already had it installed and needed some additional fuel control.

Bill