Vec 3 Vs SCT

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on my gen 2 I have the vec 2 and im SUPER happy with it, so my main question is, whats the real diffrence between the vec and the SCT? I mean besides over a $1000

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SCT is better it seems. unless a lot of boost and even then it seems the SCT might work.

kinda depends on power goals and how you wanna get to that point. if NA, go with the SCT

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 2600$ aem on one of my snakes and the 400$ SCT on another.

SCT all the way. Not even close. Tose things atleaste on the gen3's are one of the best mods you can do.

Never did the VEC2 but most say SCT all the way

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would stick with the VEC if your happy with it unless you plan on going to a high boosted application. If you were planing on buying something new then the SCT would probably be a better route. Mostly dependes on whos doing the tuning and what controller they like to use. I asked Sean Roe about changing my VEC 2 for an SCT while he was tuning my Supercharged Viper and he felt there wasn't any need for it.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A VEC is a bandaid that sits between the car and the PCM. The SCT reprograms the PCM.

Regardless of what you do with the VEC, the PCM will always win and the VEC still has to run within the limits of the PCM.

Why on earth would you cut up the wiring and add more points of failure when you can just reflash the PCM and not have to deal with all that plus the other timing delays introduced by the VEC.

Back in the old days before SCT and PCM flashes by outfits like B&G, VEC was the only way, but now that you can flash the PCM, that's the best way to go. If you're doing something that runs outside the limits of what you can do with the PCM there's a number of 3rd party ECU's to replace it with.

--FQB

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but is there any power gains that the vec can pull out that the SCT can't?

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but is there any power gains that the vec can pull out that the SCT can't?

Simply put, no.

SCT allows full manipulation of timing and fuel tables as well as many other parameters. There is no secret manipulation that can be done to unlock more power; it's just fuel and timing.

SCT is fully capable.

Toma

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SCT is more complex, so if you are doing it yourself, its a steeper learning curve, with less available information/support.

But it is a flash solution.... no wiring, and access to way more paramaters than Vec.

In the end, both can modify timing and fuel, so they will make the same power.

If I was doing a more serious build (big boost), I would definitely go stand alone. But for the typical street build, the SCT will do more than you need, and it can handle boost, however, it is not inherently built to handle boost, so some creativity is required.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456