Verified 1/4 times

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I have a friend of mine that states, "The only unbiased 1/4 mile times come from Car & Driver, and a stock GenII Viper only does 12.5 in the quarter mile and the SRT 10 only does 12.37, anything else is from a modified car, and any times posted on a chat board are always a second faster than reality." He stated that if I want to dispute this then I should write Car & Driver and have them rerun the test, but the test must be run on a car delivered directly from DC, or the car has to be torn down after the test to verify it is stock. I offered to run my car, but since I have smooth tubes, K&N's, and Borla cat back exhaust it does not qualify. My only other offer was to run my car at a local Drag Strip so we can debate over corrected times, modifications, and how much my inexperience contributes to the higher numbers and try and extrapolate my result to the one in Car & Driver.

I don't know what other unbiased sources I could supply, but running the car at the Drag Strip would be fun anyway.

I might even get him to bring his 87 Grand National that always seems to be getting some new part, just so he can have bragging rights about how a car that costs at least 1/5 the cost of a Viper just left the poor Viper in the dust. God knows I have been forwarded enough pages on Grand National quarter mile times to paper my office with. Don’t get me wrong the Grand National is a hell of a car, but it's just a matter of taste, if you like driving an old 80's stock car around then the Grand National is a great car.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your friends point is. That he can modify a GN to be faster than a stock Viper in the 1/4 mile? If he is concerned about stock mag #'s,the stats for the top of the line '87 GNX are:

HP: 275hp
0-60: 5.5 secs
1/4 mile: 13.5 @ 102mph
Lateral g: 0.8

Nowhere close to stock Viper territory no matter who's numbers you use. The regular GN is 245HP and a mid 14 second car which would probably give my Maxima a run for the money. Course, if you're looking for something really cool to park in front of the ol' trailer.....

--- Ken

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have a friend of mine that states, "The only unbiased 1/4 mile times come from Car & Driver, and a stock GenII Viper only does 12.5 in the quarter mile and the SRT 10 only does 12.37, anything else is from a modified car, and any times posted on a chat board are always a second faster than reality."

I only got this far and had to wonder how could a guy who obviously doesn't have a logical bone in his body have any freinds. :confused:

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is an interesting link

Stock Viper verses a modified GN on popular mechanics.

With 488 cu. in., 450 hp and 490 ft.-lb. of torque, not to mention a quarter-mile run of 11.97 seconds at 118.88 mph, the Dodge Viper GTS sounds like it was built in 1970.

But dig deeper into its stat sheet–V10 engine, direct port fuel injection, 6-speed transmission, 4-wheel disc brakes, steamroller 35-series rubber and, of course, its $69,300 sticker price. There's no question this is a car of the '90s. It's also the quickest and fastest car Popular Mechanics has ever tested.

The Regal
With the exception of the aftermarket boost gauge stuck to its steering column and the illegal elimination of its catalyst, Bob Hansen's 1987 Buick Regal T-Type is all stock. And with the stock 15 psi of turbo boost, it runs the quarter mile, according to Hansen, in 13.80 seconds–exactly what we remember them running a decade ago.

But Hansen cranked up his boost to 22 psi for this test, filled the tank with 100 octane (no lead) and tore off runs in the mid-12s all day, with a best pass of 12.52 at 110.35 mph.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It pretty weak reasoning to only trust ONE magazine for testing numbers.

12.5 for a Gen II Viper means either the conditions were bad, or the guys didn't know how to drive a Viper well.

Have him do an internet search and discover that the average testing numbers for the Gen II Vipers (from MANY different tests) is around 12.2@118MPH, with Popular Mechanics and a couple other testers getting into the high 11s bone stock.
This is irrefutable. He only needs to look it up.

You can tell your buddy that the tests done so far for the SRT-10 Viper were all done on the initial prototype cars (with the hotter exhaust, that was fixed on production cars).

The June Motor Trend issue has a High Speed Shoot Out, where they got [email protected] with 0-60 in 3.9, 0-100 in 8.1 seconds, and a top speed of 182MPH on a production SRT-10 Viper.

Not bad for a convertible.:D

-Dean.

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your friend only trust Car and Driver #s ask him to look up the October 1997 ROAD TEST of a new 1998 RT/10. In that article C&D's times are:

1/4 mile: 12.2@118
0-60: 4.0
0-100: 8.7
0-150: 22.5

Top speed (drag limited) 177

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
last night i had a fair night at the races and ran a 12.085. my r/t was .520 my 60' was 1.880, mph was 116.59

my viper is basically stock except for exhaust, tubes and filters

i was running BFG drag radials on 20 psi

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note: Motor trend "corrects" it figures as do many other magazines, for humidity, temp, altitude ect. I doubt the SRT cracked the 11's in reality. Thats why it has been so tough for street cars to match the nagazine times. Your ET is real.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your friend is going to argue bang for the buck, you will always loose. I have to wonder if he has actually looked at the GN lately. How about the interior? I am not sure which is worse. It is truly an 80's American car, with all the visual appeal that entails. Apples to oranges.

TFAST4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rdustman,

It's Chris with the cop car. $#@^ing awsome dude. Looks like your learning to drag race. I only say this because you draged raced for the first time at V10 Nationals. Good for you bro.

Call me some time!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These "my turbo car can beat your naturally aspirated car" arguments amuse me.

Here are some facts:

1) The GN showed a lot of bigger engined cars up in its day
2) The GN proved that with a lot of money thrown at it - it could be built into a fiercely quick race car
3) The GN fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down

4) A stock Viper of any year, any model will beat a stock GN on any track at any time - driver for driver. If your buddy can't see that - the slice of cheese has obviously fallen off his *******.

To make a GN beat a Viper on the strip will take some serious boost and mods.... but so what - it'd still be one ugly car that would get its butt kicked around any road course

Boost vs no boost is an academic argument - not apples for apples - any halfwit with a deep pocket could have someone build them a 2 litre 4 cylinder engine highly turbocharged street car that will run 9's... boost makes up for having a small weaner... I mean engine.

Run 22psi in a properly sorted Viper and fit it out for the strip - it'd tow a trailer down the strip quicker than the 22psi GN could run. A well setup twin turbo modified Viper at 22psi would be capable of over 1800bhp on gas... so what is your buddy's point?

Here's an idea - make his day and tell him his GN is probably quicker than your Viper! Then he can feel all better :rolleyes: ... well at least until you spank him silly sometime later.

:D

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Presently i have one 9 second Gn and one 10.50 Ttype and a 2000GTS. There is no comparison the Buicks are fast but handle like shilt, they also look like 80's cars. The Viper is fast and top end is wicked, stops well, handles like a dream and is just **** to the bone. Given a choice which would you take Viper hands down.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rdustman try 17 psi and what RPM are you launching at?
Cudaman :usa: