Viper 2012 ?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't drive anything smaller than this SRT/Vert. One inch lower kit for the drivers seat is already a must.

I may have to go back to looking for my graphite 09.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
:omg: 2012 Viper to have V8 and be on Fiat 500 frame for lightness and ability to sit upright for tall drivers.

Okay, just kidding, it will still be a V10. I wonder if the Marketing Geniuses back at Dodge are having a field day with all the rumors, innuendo , pictures and guesstimations going on. Many hope to see the car at VOI, and it may or may not be there. Gotta think this is fun for Dodge, as the free advertising and mystery could just carry on for quite awhile.

Only real rumor I believe is one from an undisclosed engineer.........more room for tall dudes is on da way!!!:dunno:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg: 2012 Viper to have V8 and be on Fiat 500 frame for lightness and ability to sit upright for tall drivers.

Okay, just kidding, it will still be a V10. I wonder if the Marketing Geniuses back at Dodge are having a field day with all the rumors, innuendo , pictures and guesstimations going on. Many hope to see the car at VOI, and it may or may not be there. Gotta think this is fun for Dodge, as the free advertising and mystery could just carry on for quite awhile.

Only real rumor I believe is one from an undisclosed engineer.........more room for tall dudes is on da way!!!:dunno:

Cool.:headbang:

and the suspense is great.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Only real rumor I believe is one from an undisclosed engineer.........more room for tall dudes is on da way!!!

What next ? An invisible Chimp :dunno::rolleyes:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may be the blind faith of a slow spider monkey but I bet it will hold true to the original feel of the car. the GenIII or IV cars changed drastically over the earlier cars but they are undeniably viper and still no cupholders! The question is can I afford it and when can I put my deposit down?

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I gotta tell ya if there is one way to turn a STUNNING looking sports car into a Good Looking sports car, it's make it so everyone fits. Corvettes are great examples of this. The Viper windshield header has always been very low and that is a HUGE contribution to exotic looks. The GTS double bubble roof is a rare exception that works with the cartoonish shape. Most show cars that are out to stun people have this very low appearance, then get watered down/altered to please the masses. I'd never design a very limited production dream car/Supercar that accomodated everyone. It may sound rude or inconsiderate, but I crave exotic and stunning.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I gotta tell ya if there is one way to turn a STUNNING looking sports car into a Good Looking sports car, it's make it so everyone fits. Corvettes are great examples of this. The Viper windshield header has always been very low and that is a HUGE contribution to exotic looks. The GTS double bubble roof is a rare exception that works with the cartoonish shape. Most show cars that are out to stun people have this very low appearance, then get watered down/altered to please the masses. I'd never design a very limited production dream car/Supercar that accomodated everyone. It may sound rude or inconsiderate, but I crave exotic and stunning.

I know where you are coming from but I must say I disagree with you Jeff. Jeremy Clarkson is 6'5" to 6'6". He fits in the Enzo, the Zonda, the Koenigsegg and quite a few other low cars. Mario Williams, a 6'7" 300lb football player here in Houston drives a murcielago and a FGT. All of these are very low slung cars. Now if you are talking about accommodating crazy tall basketball players then obviously not, but for run-of-the-mill tall guys it is very possible to create a super exotic.

I think most people are referring to tall guys in the 6'2" to 6'6" range. Not people 6'8" +

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have sent all your comments to Home Land Security saying that the design was too European and non comform to our standards. They have requested Chrysler to reconsider their design and this is what we got for VOI 11 :

viper_2012.JPG

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have sent all your comments to Home Land Security saying that the design was too European and non comform to our standards. They have requested Chrysler to reconsider their design and this is what we got for VOI 11 :

viper_2012.JPG

I like the rear end a lot. I mean a LOT!!! Although the quad tip exhaust is somewhat hinting at a Corvette, I think it looks more AMG than Corvette. I don't think the rear side profile flows, specifically at the rear 1/4 panel. It doesn't lift up at the back, like the other Viper's have, and I believe that's a key styling element that needs to stay. Door handle needs to be on the top shoulder line like the current SRT. I know the side pipes are going to be a 50/50 think with most owners regarding this history of the car. The front view above the fog lights look good, the grill area needs to be re-worked a little more as it looks too "ricer" IMO.

Overall, that would be a very strong starting point, and I would be in line to pick up a 2012 if that is any representation of what Dodge can turn out!

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw that photo a long time ago. I don't like the front as much but really like the rear and side view. Never thought I would getting a newer Viper but if it looks like that then I say I would.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That the main thing I like about the SRT/vert. It has that chopped top look about it when the top is up.

Red Coachwhip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about these ones? Uploaded by a member who won them in an event, and are discarded designs from Ralph Gilles.

You must be registered for see images

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about these ones? Uploaded by a member who won them in an event, and are discarded designs from Ralph Gilles.

Rear view looks like a Veyron (but I still like it)
Front view looks like a Lancer EVO (but i still like it)
Top View has a lot of similarities with the original "clown shoe" design. I like it.

That pencil sketch is very cool. Damn deposit money is burning a hole in my wallet (and I always said I would never buy the same car again).

Ralph, give us a car we can be proud to drive!!

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top View has a lot of similarities with the original "clown shoe" design. I like it.

That pencil sketch is very cool. Damn deposit money is burning a hole in my wallet (and I always said I would never buy the same car again).

THIS WOULD BE AWSOME!!!:2tu:

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph's drawings look like he followed a Lambo Gallardo recently...some of the other views look like the Lambo as well....

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THE PENCIL SKETCHHHHH!!!!!! looks realllly goooood!

The top one looks good toooo

Second ones ok, third ones ok

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Terrible.

The new viper better have:
1. Clamshell hood similar to the original
2. Wider more aggressive fenders
3. Side exhaust
4. Deeper vents behind the front fenders
5. Deeper vents on each side of the tail lights
6. Lower ride height
7. Lower production numbers with an increased price
8. No less interior room than the current viper
9. Hidden door handles
10. More shape overall

And it should have:
1. Factory integrated roll bar
2. Better stereo
3. More interior room
4. Same spartan interior with better materials (But not alcantara crazy)
5. Factory adjustable coil overs on all models
6. Factory customization option better than the current prefix setup

If they follow this formula it will be a win. A targa model would be nice as well.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Clamshell hood similar to the original

7. Lower production numbers with an increased price

4. Same spartan interior with better materials (But not alcantara crazy)

Heres the answer key.

1. Yes

7. No, that is not what the viper is about. A strong point for the viper has always been it outperforms the competition at a third of the price.

4. Close, but the viper should have an option to be alcantara crazy. Have you sat in a car that has alcantara? It is amazing.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heres the answer key.

1. Yes

7. No, that is not what the viper is about. A strong point for the viper has always been it outperforms the competition at a third of the price.

4. Close, but the viper should have an option to be alcantara crazy. Have you sat in a car that has alcantara? It is amazing.

My counter:

You contradicted yourself with #7 and #4. Viper is not about alcantara. Yes I have been in many cars with alcantara. I like it, but it's easily overdone and looks tacky. Without all of the other supporting interior components it looks like garbage. A little alcantara is not going to make the viper look like a murci or a scuderia. It will take a lot more than that. I have seen some aftermarket Vipers with it and it does not look right.

And here is the rest of the story on my pricing suggestion. Given the steady and drastic price increase of the "competition", it's possible to increase the price (and intern the offerings) of the Viper while still maintaining the cost ratio with the competition.

I am not for traction control. I am not for stability control. But if adding $10-20k to the car will benefit it with carbon fiber body panels and more aggressive/risky shapes then I say it is well worth it. You say you agree with me on the clamshell hood. Do you know why they stopped it? Cost. Both original and replacement. As far as the hinge mechanism the SLR pulls it off so no reason why the new Viper can't. Cost savings are what make it harder to make such dramatic curves and shapes. Pony up some extra dough and let the Viper be what it's always wanted to be. A no frills street legal race car that looks every bit as nasty as it performs. The Gen I/II had that in their day, and while the Gen III/IV was a great car it really lacked the aggressive shape it should have had. Jeff Lemke's kit fixed that but the factory never did. Now they have the chance to make it right.

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
word on the street has it that the new viper will be based on the ferrari 599 platform, that or it will take direct engineering from that source.
remember, Fiat wishes for their investment in chrysler to be solid and by holding no stops this is a step in right direction for them. Go big or go home, no time for half assing any of their brands.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could believe that the frame may come from a Comp 8C but that is where the cars will be developed on different tangents. I am sure the electronics that are missing, like TC, ESC, blah, blah, blah will be sourced from Ferarri, but the look and feel of the new Viper will be distinctly Viper. Drivetrain will be unique to handle the torque and abuse us 'Mericans dish out on it.

Ferarri is not going to sell out it's core group of owners and place exclusive parts on the Viper. That would be stupid because Ferarri owners wouldn't want that and Dodge owners wouldn't buy that.

Dodge may look at Ferarri to help souce Viper specific Carbon Fiber exterior/interior components, nice interior quality items, and some aspects like that. We want that relationship with Fiat to bear that fruit because it will add those high end materials on the car with a much lower cost than if Dodge had to go it alone. Realistically, the relationship will produce one of the nicest Vipers yet, that is taking nothing away from the previous models to date.

All Ralphie and Detroit crew have to do is NAIL the exterior and interior design look. Price the car somewhere near where it is now and it is a home run hit out of the park.

Would sure be a nice XMAS present to the VCA, if Ralph and crew could sneak us a few extra shots of the car as it is today as an XMAS present. They can be small partial shots, whatever. Just something to keep the fire from VOI11 alive. It has been 3 months since VOI11. Every quarter until the Detroit Auto Show in 2012 should come with another small sneak peak photo. Just enough to keep the juices flowing.

Last edited: