Enthusiast
Reaction score
read 'em and weep.
crying.gif

http://www.coastalbendpca.org/reports/TimeTrial.htm

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
to each his own. my buddy got a 911T and wants my viper more than it when he goes cruising. i gotta say, the refinements of fine german engineering are second to none (thats why i got a 1999 renntech CLK). german engineering is simply unbeatable as a total package of performance and refinement. but for unadulterated american muscle with as much sass and balls as america is known for (large and incharge, excess and everything else we're hated for, LOL) good old american muscle is represented by only one car these days...the viper. the corvette (once a good american icon, IMHO)is a sellout (again IMHO) now with its wannabe eurosprots car style and refinements so dodge stepped up and hit a homerun. OK, im off the soapbox now.

Reaction score
I've got both...

Don't get me wrong, my Viper is my favorite car. However, I seem to have a hard time with both American and German 3.8L engines. My buddy has a 731hp 3.8L engine in his 911 that makes short order of my Viper on the track (see picture), and I had a 3.8L Buick GNX-TT that did 9.13 in the Quarter (beating my Viper as well, by a lot!).

To solve my problem, I gave JonB and Doug Levin a combo of 50k and my Viper to make things a little more even. This still might be for not, as even DLM's magic can't match these 3.8L numbers.

Oh well, the Viper is still my favorite car!

You must be registered for see images

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you give us more details on that Porsche? Looks like an early 80's, gutted out for weight saving - with obviously a modified engine. I actually like the bug eyed Porsche's vs. the new shape.

Later

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ExecUtron Technologies:
I've got both...

My buddy has a 731hp 3.8L engine in his 911 that makes short order of my Viper on the track (see picture
You must be registered for see images

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beautiful car
smile.gif

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by onerareviper:
Can you give us more details on that Porsche? Looks like an early 80's, gutted out for weight saving - with obviously a modified engine. I actually like the bug eyed Porsche's vs. the new shape.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi,

It's owned by Duane Hartley (you H.P. guys will know who that is). He has several Porsche cars, and had a couple of Vipers (including the original Henn. 650 Venom). He's really a nice guy and Viper lover. Here's a little bio he has on the car:

IT WAS PURCHASED FROM ANOTHER AFICIONADO WHO USED IT ON THE TRACK WITH THE ORIGINAL 1972 RUNNING GEAR. I HAVE SINCE CHANGED THE SUSPENSION TO COILOVERS AND ALL THE RACE SUSPENSION FROM THE "RACERS GROUP". THE BRAKES ARE THE LARGE TURBO VARIETY WITH 18 FIKSE WHEELS AND HOOSIERS AROUND. THE ENGINE IS A 3.8 JERRY WOODS RIPPER (TURBO), RACE GAS AND ALL INCLUDING A MOTEC MANAGEMENT AND DATA ACQUISITION SYSTEM. THE TRANS IS 6 SPEED G50 WITH STRAIGHT CUT "GT GEARS" FOR CLUTCHLESS SHIFTING. THE BODY IS STEEL GLASS AND FIBER WITH MORE FIBER TO BE ADDED BEFORE PAINT AND RETRO RSR TRIM.

(sorry about the CAPs...)

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I HAVE SINCE CHANGED THE SUSPENSION TO COILOVERS AND ALL THE RACE SUSPENSION FROM THE "RACERS GROUP". THE BRAKES ARE THE LARGE TURBO VARIETY WITH 18 FIKSE WHEELS AND HOOSIERS AROUND. THE ENGINE IS A 3.8 JERRY WOODS RIPPER (TURBO), RACE GAS AND ALL INCLUDING A MOTEC MANAGEMENT AND DATA ACQUISITION SYSTEM. THE TRANS IS 6 SPEED G50 WITH STRAIGHT CUT "GT GEARS" FOR CLUTCHLESS SHIFTING. THE BODY IS STEEL GLASS AND FIBER WITH MORE FIBER TO BE ADDED BEFORE PAINT AND RETRO RSR TRIM."

I had to light a cigarette after reading that. Ahhhhh.......

laugh.gif

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperholics,

I just read an article in some Porsche magazine about this car. It said the motor was a 3.8 Naturally Aspirated - 350 HP. Did this guy add the Turbo, or was the magazine wrong? Awesome track car either way, especially considering the weight of this car - I would guess around 2000 2400 lbs....

The article was very detailed and several pages long. It talked about his other Porsche as well - a vintage 356 (I think).

P.S. - The article also mentioned the fact that he used to own a Hennessey 650 - then went on to say it got too much attention (the wrong attention), so he sold the car. Did not go into anymore detail with the Viper.

P.S.S. - I found this Porsche magazine at Borders. Can't remember the name (possible Porsche GT, Porsche something...).

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IM extremely **, the Porsche look does nothing for me--never did. As for German engineering and technology-it is unarguably very good, but in the luxury class, the Lexus LS430-Ultra Luxury Package, is every bit the equal, cheaper, and less expensive to maintain.

I'll take my Viper and the LS430 over a Porsche or Mercedes any day.

Steve

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>i gotta say, the refinements of fine german engineering are second to none (thats why i got a 1999 renntech CLK). german engineering is simply unbeatable as a total package of performance and refinement.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To a certain extent, this is true. Viewed from another perspective, however, it is laughable. It is extremely frustrating to me that those brilliant German engineers who are capable of producing both extraordinary performance and refinement are also capable of producing some of the most idiotic individual examples of automotive engineering I've ever encountered. My CLK55 is a terrific performer, is very luxurious, and has numerous technological bells and whistles. But for some reason some German genius decided to give it a mushy brake pedal that basically does nothing during the first 3-4 inches of travel, then applies 50-75% of the braking force over the next 1/2" of travel. This "thinking" is not confined to MB either--Audis are known for the same thing, including their "S" cars. The simple truth is that, while the CLK's brakes stop the car very well, the pedal feel is decidedly inferior to virtually every other car on the road in any price range.

Then you combine the brakes with an unusually stiff accelerator pedal and a very torquey motor, and you really have to focus 100% of your attention on your around town driving to avoid looking like the herky jerky driver's ed student on his first test drive. There are other similar little gifts provided courtesy of the "brilliant" German engineers that I won't mention here, but the bottom line is, yes, in many ways German engineering is wonderful, but in certain others, the engineering makes the designer of the Aztek look like he works for Pininfarina.

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....hhhmmmm.....Duane Hartley.....Is that my long lost Dad???....needing to donate those cars to his long lost son?...LOL

Mike Hartley

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by onerareviper:
Viperholics,

I just read an article in some Porsche magazine about this car. It said the motor was a 3.8 Naturally Aspirated - 350 HP. Did this guy add the Turbo, or was the magazine wrong? Awesome track car either way, especially considering the weight of this car - I would guess around 2000 2400 lbs....

The article was very detailed and several pages long. It talked about his other Porsche as well - a vintage 356 (I think).

P.S. - The article also mentioned the fact that he used to own a Hennessey 650 - then went on to say it got too much attention (the wrong attention), so he sold the car. Did not go into anymore detail with the Viper.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello again!

The name of the mag is "911 & Porsche", and is a US edition. The Turbo was added after the article was written. Duane (the owner) actually has several more Porsches not mentioned there. The real reason he sold his Vipers was that his GIRL FRIEND got too much attention in them!!! She's the one who hated them! (He chose her over the Vipers...).

Duane currently teases me over the fact that my Viper has been at DLM all year. He tells me that it will probably show up on Cuban T.V. in a Castro parade or something. Because of this, please feel free to make fun of his Porsche(s)...