Viper coupe or Prowler?

BigSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just recently sold my 2003 black vert. Looking for another car now, probably a 2006 Coupe with stripes or maybe a Prowler. While I am familiar with the Viper, anyone have an opinion on the Prowler? I know that it doesn't have a trunk, but is there anything else that I won't like about it? What will I like about it?

Thanks.

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are such different cars so it's hard to make a recommendation without knowing what you are looking to do with the vehicle. Just cruising, driving events, ... ?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove a Prowler. It looks great and gets lotsa looks. But the ride is uninspiring. There is no "edge." When I drive a car like that I expect to feel some emotion, but there was nothing there. Might as well be driving a Chevy.

Other than the ride being too soft and the motor being too small I like the car.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove a Prowler as well. Like Chuck said, gets lots of attention, stock exhaust sounded good, and I really did enjoy it. The only downside in they only come in V6's w/ automatic trannys. I've thought about getting one as my daily, but I only have a 1 car garage and dont want to leave it outside year round.

(some 2nd hand knowledge--I heard Prowler tax is even higher than Viper tax and the tops leak)

Reaction score
Prowler, with a 450 hp Hemi it would be an exciting car. But as is it is a cute rag top with little performance.

The Viper Coupe is a great looking and performing exotic sports car. I can not imagine comparing these two. Th only thing in common is they both have two seats.

One thing I do not like about the Prowler is the limited open door range.

OP
OP
B

BigSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Prowler would just be for cruising and filling up the extra garage space. I know the performance is nothing like the Viper, but is it terrible? The exhaust note is pretty good and the wow factor in terms of looks is a 10. Heard that the Prowler tax is high, as with any limited production car that has been canceled. Not a bad toy for $35-$40k with under 2000 miles. $40k even gets you a matching trailer!

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Theres NO comparison. The Viper is worlds ahead in looks and performance. The Prowler is a cheap vehicle thats styled different so people happen to look at them. But no one will be standing on the corner taking pitures like in a Viper. Plus the wow factor isnt there when driving and cruising. Save yourself some more money and just buy a Miata.

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I look at a Prowler and say to myself,
"What a waste, there is so much potential. Great looks and no guts and no glory."

It is a car that could have been so much more.

Kind of like seeing this drop dead gorgeous women with nice knockers. Then finding out she stuffed her bra.

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't help but chime in on this, as I have both cars (Copperhead/Black striped 2006 Coupe, and a Burnt Orange 2001 Prowler). That said, the Prowler definitely turns more heads, though not by too terribly much. I attribute this to the fact that the car is indeed so unique, and most are garage queens, so you never see them on the road. I enjoy driving both cars, but as Chuck pointed out, there is really no connection to the Prowler when driving it, it's merely a cruiser. I've actually been toying with the idea of a Lotus Exige, but I can't seem to give up the Prowler just yet, as it's still quite fun to tool around in, and you simply never seem to see one (at least around here).

-Justyn

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't help but chime in on this, as I have both cars (Copperhead/Black striped 2006 Coupe, and a Burnt Orange 2001 Prowler). That said, the Prowler definitely turns more heads, though not by too terribly much. I attribute this to the fact that the car is indeed so unique, and most are garage queens, so you never see them on the road. I enjoy driving both cars, but as Chuck pointed out, there is really no connection to the Prowler when driving it, it's merely a cruiser. I've actually been toying with the idea of a Lotus Exige, but I can't seem to give up the Prowler just yet, as it's still quite fun to tool around in, and you simply never seem to see one (at least around here).

-Justyn

Interestingly enough, today, on my way into downtown on the train, I noticed someone driving a burnt orange prowler into the city, with SALT AND SHEET all over it, as the roads here in chicago are horrible right now. The driver obviously didnt hold the car in such high regard either. I'm with that driver, I'd drive a prowler in the salty chicago road/weather, but never my viper.

Jon

OP
OP
B

BigSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Socrates, do you like the Prowler?
I owned a Viper, I know that it will run circles around the Prowler, and I am not comparing them in that regard. I am just looking for something to cruise in that would be cool to have and collect. I may get a new coupe because the speed is nice, but where I live you can't use a Viper to its full potential most of the time, that's why I sold mine. So, I just want something to cruise in a few dys a week and something that looks good in the driveway. True Viper enthusiasts will hate me for saying this.

Copperhead 057

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your looking for a cruiser that gets the looks then I would say you can't go wrong with a Prowler.IMO.

I have both, I have a 2001 Plymouth Prowler(orange) and a 2005 Copperhead Viper, I absolutely Love both cars even though they a very different, they both get the looks when driving them. Like I said earlier the Prowler is a crusier and the Viper is pure raw muscle......

Frank17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an orange Prowler since new in 2001. It is true the car has no power, but it gets oohs and aahs all the time. Many questions about what it is. I have done mods, all bumpers gone, chrome grill, front end all chromed, changed the exhaust so not so Jappy.
I love it......... until I got the Viper. I cannot stop driving the Viper. It is a massive machine with all that power. You really need to pay attention when driving.
The Prowler is a fun car, you can use the auto stick, get on and still maintain control.
Both were made at the same plant...

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3 Vipers, 3 Prowlers. Totally different cars.

The Prowlers definitely turn more heads and attract attention from a wider group of people (if that matters). Kids love em, girls love em, seniors love em, etc, etc. A Prowler is a blast to drive especially on winding curvy roads where the 20 inch rears hug the road - had a blast on the Tail of the Dragon in Deals Gap, NC.

Sure I wish the Prowler had more power but 0-60 in 5 isn't exactly a pig.

Prowlers are the cheapest head turners around and values have held steady the past couple of years and probably will not depreciate further from here. Only 11,000 ever made of all years.

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I have had quite a few of each and as everyone else said, they are different cars....I drive a Prowler most of the year as a daily driver while the Vipers rest....deep snow or ice keeps the Prowler in the garage, but it is on the street 10 months out of 12....

...storage is limited, even going to the grocery can be a problem ...if anything comes in square boxes, the trunk is not going to work for storage....on the other hand, the wow factor is great and they are quite a bit of fun to drive, though not fast....I have owned 9 of them and put about 50-60K miles on them as a group and have had very little maintenance at all....we have been gone as long as 10 days in one and still had plenty of space for clothes etc etc once you learn how to pack them...

...try one for a change, their depreciation cycle seems to have just about ended and even signs of prices going up a little this past year...you could probably drive one a year and break even if you get into one right pricewise...most popular are the 2000 - 2002 models...$30-35K will buy you a very nice car and a lot of smiles...try it, then if you are unhappy, sell it and get another Viper

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Prowler is an awesome cruiser that wasn't meant for big time power. The front end has in board springs that are almost useless and the car gets real choppy. As far as cruising around throw an exhaust and a K and N on it and enjoy the hell out of it. One of the coolest looking cars on the road, a bigger head turner then the Viper. Don't listen to those who say it has no power, it has plenty of 0-60 giddy up for it's only 2900 pounds. I like Wayne have had 3 Prowlers and 6 Vipers but that's comparing apples and oranges. Bang for the buck it's an awesome ride...

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddy has a Prowler(burnt orange) and when we go crusing nobody even notices his ride!!! He hates going with me he says I have the only car that can make his invisable...I guess it depends on what part of the country you live to have more people stare at a Prowler over a Viper, I for one can imagine that happening anywhere but that is just me...

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just traded my 2002 Silver Prowler with a weekend trunk on the back. I drove it about 32,000 miles and it was all smiles. It's a magnet to people who want to ask questions. So, I now have a 2005 Yellow Viper and all I can say is WOW!! What a ride...........I like the new action of the Viper crowd!

TBarrow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I own both. The Prowler is a great car for cruising. It is quicker than a Porsche Boxter. It was hand assemled at CAAP's and is in limited production. Both cars turn heads as neither are typically driven daily. You can modify the doors to where they open and additional 6 inches. It rides and drives great on the street as that is what they were meant for. Buy one and enjoy it. I purchased my Black 2000 Prowler 2 years ago with 1623 miles on it. I now have 5,*** miles on it and still enjoy it on nice days. The great thing about the Prowler is I have watched kids ask their dads what it is and to here them tell them about it and the kids eyes light up. It is a bond that will turn those kids into future car nuts like we all are. If you are married that is a great car to take shopping as it limits purchases. I get asked all the time as to which of my cars is my favorite and they all have a different attraction.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a customers, Sneaky Pete, who has 2 prowlers and a new 2003 red coupe. One of his prowlers is brand new, never registered, and has no miles on it. It is orange. You will never see him on line as he does not know how to turn a computer on. He tells me the viper scares the hell out of him, which I can believe after watching him try to drive it, and he prefers the prowler. he is talking about selling the viper and one of his prowlers. You can see the red coupe in my picture at the left.

Quicksilver

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have had three of them 2000 black and 2 02 Candy's. Cool car and the keeper of the Prowler web site has one running in the 11's (stroker motor) but they are TOTALLY useless and even scary above 100 MPH. Also HS bump steer......

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always disliked the Prowler because it seemed so Poser Hot Rod. It was the "try to be cool" car for nerds. No offense to anyone here that has one, but that it what I always thought of it. Kinda like a PT Cruiser...

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow.....

Prowler is a wonderful car = I too own a 2001 Prowler (Prowler Orange Pearcoat) and a 2005 Viper (Copperhead). Like comparing Ginger and Mary Ann. Kinda.

Put headers, exhaust, gears and intake on a prowler and it will play red light-green light with many cars, including vipers.... and many of the folks are using NOS and stroker motors. The thing only weighs 2500 pounds.....

Two different cars, but the Prowler with the Prowler trailor behind it is a fun car and unique ride. It's not a poser - that's something that is trying to be something it's not. It has never been promised to be anything more than what it was designed to be; a retro cruiser made from existing available spare parts (i.e. 3.5 motor) to keep cost down that would bring smiles to peoples faces when they see it. Owning two Vipers and one prowler, the Prowler does that evey time it goes out of the Garage. But then so does the Viper.....

You want a fun little cruiser or a balls to the wall hold on tight kick in the butt car ?

John

OP
OP
B

BigSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm.....it's like comparing Ginger and Mary Ann? Truth is, I'd do them both. You've got the movie star thing and the girl-next-door thing going. Mrs. Howell may even start to look good, depends on how long you've been on the island. I would, however, probably take my own life if the Skipper started looking good to me.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's about variety. I had a Viper, will probably get another one some day, but for now thought the Prowler would be fun for a while, and you can drive one without losing much value. Also thought about a 911 turbo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang