Viper crash....

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know the guy but sad to hear anyways...a few people called me asking me if I was okay when they saw a red viper crashed so I thought I'd look for the story...

One dead after street racing crash in Burnaby

Canadian Press

Monday, May 15, 2006

BURNABY, B.C. - A Coquitlam man is dead and three other people are in hospital after a crash during an apparent street race in Burnaby.

RCMP say witnesses saw two vehicles racing in the westbound lanes of the Lougheed Highway early Sunday evening.

They told police the red sporty car and black Dodge Viper were travelling at speeds of up to 130 kilometres an hour before the Viper lost control, struck a centre median and collided with two oncoming vehicles.

The 38-year-old driver of the high-performance car succumbed to his injuries.

The occupants of the other vehicles are being treated in Royal Columbian and Burnaby hospitals.

RCMP are searching for the other street racer, who was seen talking on a cellphone just before the crash.

As always the cops do have to turn it into a big street race even though they were probably just speeding...Who races at 130km/h anyways thats about 70 mph down a highway :rolleyes:

pitbull11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sad, i had about 20 calls this morning myself because i have an 04 and i live in Coquitlam , apparently the car was black, i think i have seen it around before in Coquitlam

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heres the picture of the viper turns out it was black not red...guess the person that called me couldn't see the actual car or be sure of the color but just knew it was a viper...lougheed highway was closed from 745pm and was still closed this morning at 545am

You must be registered for see images

Word got around pretty quick actaully about this accident got a call from my dad last night just to check if I was okay as well...

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Racing at 70 mph???? That's just cruisin'.

Cops and the anti-performance car media seem to be just as stupid in Canada as they are here.

Too bad for the driver. Wonder why he lost it at only 70?

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heres what someone that saw the accident said on a local forum...

saw the accident as i was just behind the cars thatgot hit. The viper didnt really look like he was going that fast...i wass estimating 100 before i heard the report. He tried to change lanes and his back end swerved out. Guess he tried to correct cus he fishtailed a bit. his car ended up going over the meridian sideways . i guess the car snap steered on him. smokes the cars ahead of me

i slam on the brakes park across from him , ran over to see if he was alright but he was pretty messed

and an update on the name

From CBC.ca website:

The Viper's driver, Igor Shaveyko, died at the scene. The occupants of the three other vehicles are being treated in Royal Columbian and Burnaby hospitals.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TWO??!! :(

Let's all just hook up our snakes to battery chargers and call it a day until next year. What's going on here? :confused:

Condolences to the family.

Allow me to channel Fred: "Go to Skip Barber!" It may very well save your life.

K

Kaya

I must encourage all of you who are stingy on tires...you realy need to buy new tires yearly.....the tires on these cars get hard when not in use and they wear out quickly.....

Dont be hesitant to buy tires

Kaya

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got called today from lots of people as well. And it was shocking to learn it happened here in Vancouver. It was really sad and I just finished watching the news on TV. From all the info on the news, it was indeed a black Mamba edition with red mamba interior. I never realized there is any Mamba cars in Vancouver. The first 3 digit of the license start as "677". I don't know whether he belongs to our Western Canada Viper club or not. And based on the news, he has a wife and a young kid. My deepest sympathy goes to his family. Here's another news clip from one of the local newspaper:

Coquitlam man killed in three-vehicle crash identified

Vancouver Sun
Published: Monday, May 15, 2006
The driver who died in a three-vehicle crash in Burnaby Sunday night has been identified as Victor Shaveyko, 38, of Coquitlam, say Burnaby RCMP.

According to a police statement, Shaveyko's black Dodge Viper was racing another vehicle in the westbound lanes of Lougheed Highway near Holdom. According to police, the other racing vehicle was a sporty red car, possibly a Mercedes CLK. Witnesses said the other driver was talking on a cellphone while driving at high speed before the crash.

The vehicles were travelling at 130 km/hour before Shaveyko lost control and struck a centre median. His vehicle collided with two eastbound vehicles on Loughheed, then bounced back into the westbound lane. Shaveyko's injuries were fatal.

Three others involved in the accident suffered non-life threatening injuries and were sent to hospital.

Police are still searching for the identity of the person driving the red car.

AllBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a lot of calls too even though I'm in Ireland right now, everyone who knows me, know that I have a black viper.

The guy Victor brought his car up from New Jersey I think, after It was already in one accident. I know this because he brought it to the same sound shop, Audiolines, where I did my system. There arn't many mambas in Vancouver. He fixed the car up and put a great system in it. Maybe the car just had a bad vibe to it... being in two accidents already. Horrible thing to happen, makes you think and be just a bit more careful out there.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"RCMP are searching for the other street racer, who was seen talking on a cellphone just before the crash."

Street racing while talking on the cell phone? I don't think so.

Condolences to the families.

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Condolences to the families. Its a scary thing to hear stuff like this. And it really is a shame.

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if the prior crash caused some kind of damage that contributed to this. How can you go out of control changing lanes without something weird going on...especially at only 70mph?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if the prior crash caused some kind of damage that contributed to this. How can you go out of control changing lanes without something weird going on...especially at only 70mph?

I was thinking the same thing. Might have had a "soft" spot.

pitbull11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were only 2 Mamba's in Vancouver, i have the other one and live in Coquitlam as well. I had several calls yesterday from people that were convinced that was my car based on the red interior that was shown in the news reports. Very sad situation

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had it been red like the initial reports said, there would be a chance that I knew it's owner personally (the guy I know doesn't live in Vancouver though). Very very sad indeed, my condolences and deepest sympathies to the families of the drivers who lost their lives :(

AllBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could have had something to do with the other accident... although I'm not sure what exactly happened, I saw the car and it looked to be only front end damage. I seemed like the front of the car went under something, like say a semi truck, and stopped mid way up the hood, where it got stuck. Oddly the guy brought the car to get the sound system in before the damage was fixed hahah.

Nico

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lane changing or accellerating under hard load when the road is not 100 straight will take you out. This is the no. 1 cause of accidents in these cars. If the road has the slightest bend to it, and the car has the power, you will loose it, oh, and as Kaya mentioned, tires. We have a 1000 HP SRT at our shop, and I drove it down the street the other day. It has Michelin P2's on it, and they are brand new, but I would not dream of playing around on the street with these tires. Drag radials only in my book, if your into hard accelleration. That car broke loose at 60 with easy and was all over the road. No way the car would do this with a fresh set of drag radials.
I'm going to tell the guy that owns this car, if he punches it and there's a slight bend in the road, it's gonna be all over. Regardless of the tires. The bend in the road will throw you out of control every time, even at low speed.
I'm 100% straight when I get on it. Quaffe diff. is another great asset.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang