Viper Days at VOI-8, V-TEN Sweep

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The V-TEN Racing Chronicles written by Tom Wilson

Viper Days at Texas Motor Speedway (VOI-8), September 13-14

V-TEN Racing Sweeps TMS

This is the sixth event of the Eastern Region of Viper Days. We were last at TMS for the 2003 year-end finals where it rained for most of the event. This time we had perfect weather, although hot. The trip for the guys from Hotlanta is easy, I20 West for 9-10 hours. Newt gets respite from a long drive to the track since he lives about two hours from TMS. Newt attended VOI-8 as a vendor. You may have noticed the Viper Logo Pins he was selling that blinked. How could you miss them? Newt was also selling V-TEN Racing Tee Shirts we had made with the support of PartsRack, TeamTech, and Forgeline. Thanks to all who purchased shirts. We still have shirts available if you missed out, smile.

The Track:
+ TMS is the only banked track on the 2004 Viper Days schedule. The sensation of being on the banking at 140 mph plus is incredible. I have a new found respect for the Nextel Cup boys.
+ The track was run counter clockwise and as configured was about 2.2 miles long, I think. We used most of the oval and the entire infield. Stopping for the one chicane and the entrance to the infield took its toll on brakes for a number of participants. Archer Racing Accessories made sure they were back out for the next session. We all run four wheel StopTech big brake systems and had no problems.

Car Prep (Team Secrets, don’t tell other Viper Days Participants):
Changed fluids. Some tips.
+ I installed a differential plug using the instructions in the VCA How To section. Follow the instructions and you will not have a problem. I used Redline 75/90 differential fluid purchased from Bobby Archer Motorsports. The friction modifier is not needed when using Redline. It was easier to order from Bobby versus searching Atlanta. Shipping was less then the gas I would have used and saved time. You will need two quarts.
+ I also changed the transmission fluid. Remove the splash plate, remove drain plug at back of trany, and replace and torque drain plug. Now, here is what made it easy for me to fill the trany. I used about three feet of 3/8th inch tubing with a funnel inserted in one end, ran the other end of the tube down close to the firewall into the fill hole in the trany (front top drivers side of the trany). After filling with four quarts of Redline D-4 ATF and resealing the fill plug the service was done. Ok, so I don’t count putting the splashguard back on as part of the service.
+ On the track the car shifted much smoother. I did not miss a shift in the two days, ok one. That one was at the end of the front straight at 100 mph when I went from 4th to 1st. That is why I always release the clutch slowly so I can hear the revs. No damage. Clutch back in. Now where is 3rd? Oh, too late, how about 2nd. That’s the ticket. Not one of my best laps.

The Weekend (ok, not the weekend):
Monday, at the track by 7am and do some minor maintenance like air, over fill my oil (just kidding), new batteries for Hot Lap Timer, etc. The temps were warm with 1,000% (not a typo) humidity. I thought Dallas was dry heat. Are we in Houston and I don’t know it? I have new tires and Forgeline VRL wheels. Wow do these things stick. Less push in slow turns. Our times were respectable with each of us leading our groups at the end of the day. My competition, Jim Garret, was saving his best for Tuesday. The last time we ran together he beat me on the last run on the last day. Sandbagger. In Newt’s case, perennial Viper Days contender Nancy Stein was nipping at Newt’s heals. Data acquisition, Nancy, how could you. Not fair.

Tuesday. Weather is more of the same. Our best runs would likely be in the morning, so you would think. At the end of session two Eyal and myself would have run our best times. Newt on the other hand would need a better time in the afternoon. You see, Ms. Stein put down a 1.39.299 lap, almost a second quicker then her previous best and took the Modified lead from Newt by about 0.75 seconds. Newt needs to step it up and now. We all go out for the third session together. I make it to the first banked turn at about 50 mph when the steering wheel begins to shake violently. I drive around to the pits and park it for the session. It seems that I lost all of the wheel weights even though I always tap them. This gave me an opportunity to watch Newt and Eyal from the infield and enjoyed every minute. Several times during the session Eyal was several turns from Newt. It was apparent that Newt was pulling him and would have some good times. Was it enough?

Our Results:
V-TEN Sweep (second time in five events entered)
+ Newt, first in Modified with a 1:39.110 (6 of 32 Challenge Series Drivers). Newt held off a hard charging Nancy Stein with her best being the 1:39.299. After the third session on Tuesday, Nancy was the first to find Newt and congratulate him. Nancy is truly a class act and a good friend of V-TEN Racing and so is her better half, Don Cochran. In the points, Newt has slipped to 2nd behind you know who by one point. It has paid dividends for Nancy to attend all six events. The last event that will decide who wins the Eastern Region for Viper Days is in three weeks at Newt’s home track, Texas Motorsport Ranch. Both Nancy and Newt have already done the math. Newt will need a solid victory over Nancy if he is to win the Modified title. Can you say down to the wire?
+ Eyal, first in Prepared with a 1:41.085 (10 of 32 Challenge Series Drivers). Eyal remains in second in the points behind Ray Moore. Eyal must win TMS to win the Prepared title.
+ Tom, first in Super Stock with a 1:40.854 (9 of 32 Challenge Series Drivers). Jim Garrett never mounted a charge. He must be waiting for Motorsport Ranch. I have now clinched the Eastern Region Super Stock title and look forward to MSR and the finals.

We want to continue to thank JonB at PartsRack.com. We also want to thank TeamTech and Forgeline for help in producing V-TEN Racing shirts.

See everybody at Motorsport Ranch next week!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang