Viper Driver = Better Overall Driver?

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was just tooling around today in my Charger SRT-8, which has always packed a punch (I usually keep the nanny turned off and in Autostick mode), but after having my new Viper for almost 4 weeks now, I'm feeling like I'm a better driver overall.

Anyone else feel like they're a better driver on a "normal" car due to handling a Viper regularly? It's interesting how I've come to appreciate the no-traction-control, and feel like I'm better equipped to handle the rest of the SRT lineup now that I've gotten used to a Viper -- which is not to say that I feel like I'm an expert driver by any means, just that I've managed to wrangle the Snake for 28-some-odd-days without a major incident!

Luvgoinfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it makes you a better driver as it gives you more confidence. Just be careful now with it Matt especially now with the weather getting colder. Yours may not be as bad with them tires but mine doesn't like cold roads at all. I'm sure the others guys can give you more input from experience.

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my car for a little over a week, put around 700 miles on it. I would say you become more of a cautious driver because of what the car can do. I have not "let her loose" yet. I will be taking some sort of driver training before I be doing something stupid. Posts from VIPER owners on this forum should not ne taken lightly about how easily you can be "BITTEN" Many speak from experience grasshopper !!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It makes one a more alert driver which by default makes one a better driver. But that still doesn't mean they know how to handle the car. For that you need to get on a track. Viper Days, Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I too own and SRT8 Charger, in addition to my Viper, and I actually drove them both yesterday. I've had the SRT 8 for going on 4 years, and always respected the car - it's amazing that even weighing 2+ tons, how easy it is to get in trouble quickly in that car. Now, after 6 months with my Gen 3, when I get back in the SRT8 or the Cummins, I've learned to really respect the torque - that's what get's us in trouble in these cars.

Good post. Looking forward to reading other opinions.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a great deal of how one "drives" is determined by their level of concentration. 9 out of 10 drivers on the road are in their cars as an annoying means to get them from one place to another. They are more interested in carrying on a conversation with their passengers or in finalizing personal thoughts than in any concerns of the actual "drive". When I'm driving my Viper, EVERY time I'm on the road I am intensely vigilant on the drive, the road conditions and all other cars in my vicinity. It's the "drive" with all the inherent adrenaline and calm that I'm there for ... not the "transportation".

Unfortunately, roads are predominantly filled with drivers that would MUCH prefer to be elsewhere. The exact reverse is true for Viper drivers.