Viper Fan Relay Meltdown !

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is embarassing for me, but may be of help to others.

I was providing Pace Car support Saturday, for ICSCC races at PIR. We were 92-degress, a veritable heat-stroker for Oregon.
Asphalt temps were 125-135.

I had a big-shot race steward along, so I idled for 4 consecutive 15-minute intervals, punctuated by 2 on-track laps at 50-60 mph. A/C worked OK, temp ok, situation normal, RIGHT?

When I turned OFF the ignition, the "service" lihgt came on and the Viper remained running perfectly ! Hmmmm. I switched to ACCESORY position. No Joy. I turned key and jiggled it wildly.
I REMOVED it. Still idling normal, service light on.

I grabbed an old Viper Magazine and re-read the part about the "Viper Guru". No Joy. I drove to an easy-access tow location and killed the motor with the clutch.

Now, wont START!. RRRRRRRR. RRRRRRRR. RRRRRRRR. Nuthin but starter. I let 'er cool off an hour, had dinner and a beer.
OK, 2 beers. RRRRRRRR. RRRRRRRR. RRRRRRRR. But LITE out !
So, I reset the ECU/PCM. RRRRRRR. RRRRRRR. No Joy.

The OEM FAN RELAY (No, not the "always running" one that Wayne suggests here... ) had melted down, and shorted out the Power Distribution module, and shorted the ignition! The age of the relay showed prior heat damage and it was in the works a while.

So, I suggest that those of you that live in hot climates, and idle for long stretches with A/C on, and have 1996-1999 Vipers, check the Power Distribution Block of fuses/relays and see that all is well inside. ["Added Care Plus" covers wiring and harnesses. WHEW!] Those who HAVE chosen the "always On" mod, pay attention. {I have 32000 miles on

And AGAIN...there are dozens of stories like this that should be filed in a "Problem -Symptom -Diagnosis" permanent archive so future owners, techs, etc can benefit from misfortunes.
Maybe it could even be FORMATTED w/ YEAR, MODEL, MILEAGE. ?

Reaction score
Thanks Jon for the info. After the intermittent short in my A/C clutch relay that shut me down virtually all this spring, and 32000+ on my odometer, I am growing weary of Viper electrics. I am going to carry a spare relay (common to many of the systems)in my glove box along with fuses.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Jon,

Sorry to hear about your troubles but am glad to hear it didn't leave you in a bad position (middle of nowhere).
Question for you. Do you have the larger '99 and newer fan on your '96?
To cut straight to the chase, we found when developing our fan kit that the stock single fan of '98 and earlier draws an itial spike of 27 amps at startup and then settles to 9 amps while operating on low speed (stock fuse is 50 amps). The larger fan of '99 and newer draws an initial spike of 56 amps and then settles to 24 amps on low speed. I've never checked the amperage draws on high, but could easily see the larger fan drawing enough amperage to overheat the wiring if it was on for an extended period of time.
Definitely something to keep an eye on as you suggested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery