Viper goes down.. Taken from the F-Body forum

Trans Am WS6 420

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You sound like the guy who raced James (Pewter WS6) at Moroso. That you? Regardless, I'd be more than happy to run you on radials
smile.gif
Like you say, no smack talking. I enjoy racing, it's not always about winning (ok, when it's for $, it's always about winning
wink.gif
)

- Matt

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trans Am WS6 420:
I'd be more than happy to run you on radials I enjoy racing, it's not always about winning (ok, when it's for $, it's always about winning - Matt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finally...something intelligent from the f-body boys...Nitrous verses nitrous on street tires...and no whining...

Trans Am WS6 420

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snake Bitten:
Finally...something intelligent from the f-body boys...Nitrous verses nitrous on street tires...and no whining...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As opposed to your moronic babble........

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr hawk how do you explain your 109 mph compared to 116 to 121 mph for some stock vipers. MPH is horsepower, on the roll he has to out accelerate you period. With 10+mph he should pass you at some point, please explain. With bolt on's i have beaten a 11.40 Buick Grand National who runs 121mph on the roll in first gear. You mph at 109 @ 12.50 what am i missing here!!!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, I have to side with the f-body guys on this one. It should come as no surprise to anyone here that (a) there are plenty of cars which are faster than a bolt-on Viper in a straight line, and (b) that notwithstanding, in racing it's not who should have gone the fastest, it's who actually did. Since we don't know the Viper in question, what power it was actually making, and we do know that it was driven suboptimally, I don't understand the vitriol I'm seeing on this board?

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 99ssz28:
Dammmm, i guess vipers are the only cars worth driving then huh?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said, you are absolutely correct...Doesn't matter how much money you have spent (wasted) on your truck...it is still an 1991 S-10...You still asking $29K for that brick?

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trans Am WS6 420:
You sound like the guy who raced James (Pewter WS6) at Moroso. That you? Regardless, I'd be more than happy to run you on radials
smile.gif
Like you say, no smack talking. I enjoy racing, it's not always about winning (ok, when it's for $, it's always about winning
wink.gif
)

- Matt

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I raced James at Moroso, he ran 11.01 (heads/cam/nitrous/stall/bolt on's/gears/ET & skinnies)
cool.gif
I plan on going back to the track soon. I've also raced Dave (demon) which I heard through the grape vine you recently beat
supergrin.gif
It should make for a good race, e-mail me if your going to around here sometime or at Moroso we'll see if something can be arranged
smile.gif

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone,

This post is senseless. Here's what we learned.

1.) A basically stock Fbody driven well beat a stock Viper that was driven horribly. (Point? I don't know. I could beat a Formula One car around Mid-Ohio in my Viper, if my grandma drove the F1 car. But would I write a letter to Michael Shoemacher (sp?)) telling him of my victory?) (Reality: A stock fbody against a stock GTS is a joke, with equal drivers).

2.) A modified Fbody may beat a Viper (Reality: No kidding. There are Civics that run in the 9's. Point?)

** I guess I just don't understand this post. The Viper is much more than a straight line car. It is one of the best all-around production street legal road racing cars ever made. That is why it cost so darn much.... Not only because it can dip into the 11's stock.

** If beating a car in a straight line race is all that matters, then H*ll, just go out and buy a muscle car that run 9's. I see them for sale all the time in the PA area, and some can be had for under $10,000.

** To conclude, I like both cars. But lets keep things in perspective. These type of post are ridiculous.

Later

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
They don't test you on your speed to gear knowledge before they hand you the keys to the car you are driving, so it's quite possible that it happened
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True,

But it is not that complicated. You look at that little thing on the dash called the 'tachometer'. Any ***** knows to shift at/near redline for maximum power in a manual transmission. Even people who don't race know this... Common freak'in sense.... If this story is true, which it may be, please instruct this Viper owner on the basics of driving a manual transmission.

Later

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&gt; But it is not that complicated. You look at that little thing
&gt; on the dash called the 'tachometer'. Any ***** knows to shift
&gt; at/near redline for maximum power in a manual transmission.

Hee hee. I am reminded of a post on the corvette board to the effect of "any trained monkey could drag race", after which the poster went to the dragstrip (for the first time) and proceeded to run 14s in his C5 corvette, ON VIDEO. It's actually not hard to run &lt;110 mph 1/4s in a Gen-II, especially if you shift at/near redline and shift slowly. Correct shift points are at approximately 5800, 5700 and 5600 (stock motor) and must be made lightning-fast for best times.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
What's up mes.My car does have stock heads still.Just cam headers and spray done to the motor.After this week is over and my new stall is in and bigger nos solinoid is in.I will for sure be in the 10's.Let me now when your going to the track.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I thought you had ported heads, but guess not. Anyway I've been wanting to go to the track for a while now before I do any work to the motor. I wanted to test out the new ET streets & skinnies but I end up finding other things to do with my GF
wink.gif
later
smile.gif

Trans Am WS6 420

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't lined up with Demon in a long time, so it must have been someone else who beat him. But I'm definatly interested to run you.
smile.gif

James, when are you going to the track? I'll head up for that.
smile.gif

- Matt

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben,
I understand your reasoning but every time I input my dyno and gear info into a program like this one it always determines that the best shift points are at 6000 rpm?

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting -- when I put the power curve for my stock Viper into CarTest2000, it gives optimum shift points close to those I quote. That aside, however, I've found that winding out 3rd gear to 6000 RPM leaves me 2-3 mph slower than shifting to 4th at 5600 RPM. Of course, the optimum shift points will differ for non-stock cars.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"stock motor" When will there be a universally accepted definition for those words? Never.

I know a guy that has a 900 hp stock motor Viper. Block, pistons, crank - all stock. Little bit of work to it that's all. Has a Doug Levin window sticker. Not sure what that means.

Trans Am WS6 420

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock motor = Same motor that came with the car, and have never had so much as a valve cover off
smile.gif

Mine's rather mild, really. It's James there you should be watching out for
wink.gif

- Matt

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me 'stock' means it is 'EXACTLY' the way the car came off the showroom floor. If 'any' changes were done, you should indicate in the description of the car.

Pretty simple....

Later

Trans Am WS6 420

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by onerareviper:
To me 'stock' means it is 'EXACTLY' the way the car came off the showroom floor. If 'any' changes were done, you should indicate in the description of the car.

Pretty simple....

Later

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree... Hence the phrase "stock motor", and not "stock vehicle"
smile.gif

- Matt

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just wanted to speak up to the f-body crowd on this thread and say I think its great when owners of other marques come on here and have sensible conversation (I didn't bother reading the thread on the f-body forum). I'm personally sick of the elitest Viper owner snobbery that always resorts to the "oh yeah, well I'm still driving a Viper". We're not all like that. Its different when some jacka$$ troll posts some half-a$$ kill story on our board to create confrontation, they deserve all the flaming they get.

It sounds like the Viper driver biffed it, so good job to the f-body. I bet the Viper owner was rightly humbled, maybe to the point that he'll learn how to drive his own car. The f-body owner sounds like he knows what happened, and that with a different driver, things may have been different, but you know what, it all comes down to the fact that the Viper lost and the f-body won. So stand up and take your beating like a man.

I could have bought a Lambo. Then when mildly modded Vipers kicked my a$$ I could say "oh yeah, well I'm still driving a Lambo". Its all relative, lets keep in perspective people. For god's sake, we're not Porsche owners!
laugh.gif

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 90% sure that I'll be at Moroso this Friday with my "stock motor" Viper
supergrin.gif
If you want to race bring your ET tires, as that's what I'll be on
BURNOUT.gif

BTW I demolished a "stock motor" C5 with spray this weekend, and I'm feeling lucky
supergrin.gif

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Mes, i wish i had my truck done , i would def. be there if it was, what do think it will do with good tires? I am interested in putting propane on my sy, hows that work for you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The propane works good, I've had no problems. I've heard of many cars that are now using propane with a turbo, seems to be getting more popular. I don't expect to do too good with the new tires, being the first time at the track and all, maybe a high 10 if I'm lucky
supergrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Looks very doubtful that I can make it, but we'll see. No promises <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

frown.gif
well I also plan to be there Aug 4 for HotRod Sunday, if you can make it let me know. That will most likely be my last time with the "stock motor"
wink.gif

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only read the first page of this, but I wanted to tell of my experiences with vettes.. My good friend has a 00 C5, auto with exhaust/intake. He is not an amat at dragging. He does so frequently and it pretty good at it. He Dyno'd 315 rwhp or so, and now he has a 100 shot. We raced 3 times.. he got me twice by about a car length, I got him the 3rd time by a car length. From a stop to 130-140 range. Basically we were about dead even. I have not dyno'd my car, but it's a gen 1 with hi flow cats, smooth tubes, and K&N's... seeing other gen 1 dyno's I think I'm probably right at 400rwhp -/+ 10rwhp. He's probably around 415 +/- 10rwhp with his 100 shot.

So tell me again how a viper needs 70 more hp to stay even with a vette???

OP
OP
X

X

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The street is different than the track...

post 1/4 times.....

X

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by X:
The street is different than the track...

post 1/4 times.....

X

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

right.. ok.
rolleyes.gif

On the 1/8 local track I beat him too. We've never been there on the same nite, so you could argue track conditions were different. We're both going this tuesday so we'll find out if my viper with 10rwhp less can hang
rolleyes.gif

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I won't race anyone who didn't spend at least $50k for his car.

This barely includes C5's.

There is NO WAY, I'll give the satisfaction to some f-body (I have one) or worse yet, some Mustang with an inferiority complex.

Why?

You can't win the race even if you beat'em.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But... I guess if all depends if you like shooting "ducks."

For me, 've been there and done that back in the mid 70's - but with a loser Studebaker supercharged sleeper. Of course, that gives me an entirely different perspective on street racing...

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:

It's actually not hard to run &lt;110 mph 1/4s in a Gen-II, especially if you shift at/near redline and shift slowly. Correct shift points are at approximately 5800, 5700 and 5600 (stock motor) and must be made lightning-fast for best times.

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should hope for at least that. I ran 114 in my Gen 1 first time out. Can't wait to take the Gen II to the track.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62