viper gts vs mustang gt500????

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My buddy is taunting me on about his 08 gt 500 stang all stock and we played around a little on the highway and seems like i can get up and go by him pretty easy, but now i want a call him out to the track and race, whos going to win lol, mine has no cats, kn filters, straight tubes, borla cat back, bm shifter!! Thanks guys!!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since the Mustang comes with puny little tires you'll kill him. If he gets a set of slicks ... ?

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... i want a call him out to the track and race, whos going to win lol, mine has no cats, kn filters, straight tubes, borla cat back, bm shifter!! Thanks guys!!

1/4 mile track? oval track? curvy race track?

in a drag race if you can get 1st gear down you'll kill him. If you get turns involved the degree to which you crush him is directly proportional to driving skill as 1BADGTS suggested.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mustang GT 500 ... 3920#. 255z45 x 18" tires (skinnier than a Viper's fron tires). Brakes are similar to Gen 3. Mustang GT500 only tested to 12.9 et for a quarter mile so that means a Gen 1 Viper could easily smoke the Mustang by a lot. The Mustang GT500 does finish the quarter mile .4 seconds faster than a Challenger SRT8 though.

I was looking to see if the GT500 was the same as the 2009 and had a solid rear axle. I'd guess it does. So although the Shelby is quite a ways behind in the quarter mile it should be totally sluggish on corners since the weight is not 50-50 like the Viper and the car has a solid rear axle and skinny tires.

It's not really fair to compare a supercharged passenger car to a Viper. The GT500 is a little better than the automatic Challenger though. The Car and Driver article says that the Challenger is nicer equipped, has more options and is a bigger car while being cheaper. The GT500 seems to just be a little quicker.

Ted

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was just tailgated by one today, so I dropped it into 3rd at 80, and pulled hard until 120. he got on it a second after I did, but I gained a lot of ground on him, I was pulling much harder

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I was racing an apple with my orange and killed him. :) hah ha, j/k!

.Your power to weight ratio is better, should be no contest.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock for stock its. 12.2 at 118 mph gts viper verses a 12.6 at 115 mph mustang..you will have no problem

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say the GTS wins hands down with equal drivers although the GTS probably requires a better driver.

Funny thing is that it won't be long before you can buy a brand new $30k car that matches or bests Gen2 performance... The 5.0 Mustang is rated at 412hp but the press is saying it has more like 435hp. The 2011 GT500 is rated at 550hp but I read that it's no faster than the 540hp KR and not much better than the 500hp car. Back in 07 the GT500s were $45k and they were marking them up $25k-$30k. General motors won't be sitting back with the Camaro either... V10 Challenger ? Seems like the trend is to come out with a super Hi performance version of a car and then within a few years the same performance is available in the base performance version.

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
About a week ago I raced a 2010 gt 500 from a stop light and I beat him 3 times by atleast 3 to 4 cars and my 2000 gts only has a muffler delete and a K&N intake,so I think you should have no problem beating it.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As others have said, I think you'll take him both in a straight line and on a road course. If you have a road course in your neck of the woods, suggest both a drag and a hot lap contest....even if you spin 'em in first at the strip, you'll get another shot at spanking him in the turns and braking zones!:)

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will come down to driver no matter the venue. What I find amazing is that Ford has improved lap times on the 2011's by 9 seconds!!! Compared to the 2010 model, the 2011 ran a 2:58:48 at VIR, stock all the way down to the tires. Yep, faster than the Ford GT, Audi R8, and Corvette Grand Sport. Hell, the Z06 is barely ahead at 2:58:2. Keep in mind thIs car was equipped with SVT's Performance Package as an option, so think of it as the ACR option. It's from the factory so no crying foul.

I'm already contemplating one as a family hauler. The new minivan. :D

ttadriver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the improvement in track time was approx 5 secs over the 2010 GT500, which makes more sense. I guess we will see in the next C&D Lightning Lap

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes it is just a matter of time before a 30K mustang will touch 1996-2002 GTS performance..

the stock mustang recently went 12.7 at 112 mph in a magazine and 109-111 mph in several others. As well a personal owner touched 115 mph in a stock auto mustang at sacremento..

Dont get me wrong a 12.7 at 112 would be a horrible time for a GTS..but I have seen reviews of GTS running 12.6 at 115 mph at the slowest..

2-3 years from now a 460HP 30K base mustang will be a force to reckon with

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes it is just a matter of time before a 30K mustang will touch 1996-2002 GTS performance..

the stock mustang recently went 12.7 at 112 mph in a magazine and 109-111 mph in several others. As well a personal owner touched 115 mph in a stock auto mustang at sacremento..

Dont get me wrong a 12.7 at 112 would be a horrible time for a GTS..but I have seen reviews of GTS running 12.6 at 115 mph at the slowest..

Another person caught up on hp. :nono: So much more factors like weight, torque & gearing. Remember stock GTS are torque monsters especially at lower ends so looking at hp and just saying because it has 450hp isn't the main factor. There are some stock GTSs that ran 11.8s on crappy PS2 tires :2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And Chuck Tator runs 11.7 on his stock Gen 1.

The ancient numbers are junk as the runcraps can only be bought if you buy vette tires (a nd Mustang?) so all Gen1, Gen 2 and Gen 3s are froced to go MUCH faster on the new improved tires.

The Mustang GT500s are even close to a GTS. The Government will probably start slowing them down soon as well. BUT, since they still have those skinny tires I guess that no matter what they do the Mustang won't get any closer to the GTS than the 750bhp Supersnake could. Tires.

I think that if all the Mustang GT500s came with Drag Radials they might be a good race for a stock GTS?

The Mustang should never be able to keep up with a vette or a Viper because they are passenger cars. You need a couple poeple in the back seat to get traction and balance the weight front to back. Mustang could chop the back seat out and shorten the car to get it closer to the 50/50 weight distribution it needs to track properly. I'd certainly hate to go onto a road course and have a Miata blow past me through the corners in my passenger Mustang ...

I suppose that eventually the GTR will lose out the GT500?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Macedo Motorsports was telling me that normally aspirated Gen 2 record time is in the nines! n/a Mustang should be good for 11's?

When I filled out the Targa Rally application they required me to list my 8L engine as a 11.4L engine because it's Forced Induction. Using that forumla a 5.4L Mustang would be classed as a 7.9L or nearly the same as a n/a Gen 2 Viper engine.

Ted

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a visual for some.:D

304.JPG

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

considering a base mustang is a V6 i highly doubt it will EVER be a force to reckon with.
and if your talking about the GT... I think its still unlikely with the increasing safty&emmision regulations.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang