Viper is Canada's 3rd worst selling vehicle for 2010

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be a huge number IF this is the number for 2010 only?! :drive:

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And how many Vipers were even sent to Canada...? It's not like a Mustang where we produce 100,000 of them to ship all over the world.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I can guarantee if Canada could get more Vipers the sales would be higher. The number is artifically low as that is likely about how many are allocated. Most of the major Dealers in the US are constantly called by Canadians trying to purchase a Viper because they can not find one in their Country. We can not sell new Vehicles to Canada without incurring serious fines, so the circle goes back around. With the number of inquiries from up North it is quite apparent that MoPar fever is very strong in the Provinces. With Ralph Gilles in charge of Dodge the numbers have gotten better, but 2010 is a slim year for production , so Canada will see very few Vipers overall.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can guarantee if Canada could get more Vipers the sales would be higher. The number is artifically low as that is likely about how many are allocated. Most of the major Dealers in the US are constantly called by Canadians trying to purchase a Viper because they can not find one in their Country. We can not sell new Vehicles to Canada without incurring serious fines, so the circle goes back around. With the number of inquiries from up North it is quite apparent that MoPar fever is very strong in the Provinces. With Ralph Gilles in charge of Dodge the numbers have gotten better, but 2010 is a slim year for production , so Canada will see very few Vipers overall.

Is it possible to say sell the car to yourself, and then sell it as a private sale to a Canadian buyer to sidestep the political red tape around this issue??

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dealers can only sell to individuals in the US , as the cars are 50 State Certified by law. No way to sell to yourself and then turn around and sell to Canada. You are simply asking for an audit. Some Canadians have dual residency and of course you can sell to someone, say with a Summer home in Florida.

Used vehicles are exempt, but this does not help the folks wanting a new vehicle. The other issue is new cars going to Canada would also lose their warranty status, just as a new Viper from Canada ( if sent new to the US ) would lose it's warranty here.

My gut feeling is with Ralph and Sergio ( he is half Canadian ) , the new Viper may show more being allocated up North -- seems our VCA members in the frigid North need to do some campaigning now, and then when the 2013 model rolls around it might not be as difficult to find one?

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if Vipers are so much in demand, why does the Viper Exchange still have 20 2009's @ 20K below MSRP?

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
some years dodge did not send us some cars like the 06 blue and white coupes to canada. as for 54 sold in canada, i did my part i bought 3

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Exchange. Where are they? Cant find it on the website where their business is located (would be illegal in Germany) ... contact page is more or less "empty".

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I wonder if any other manufacturers make a CANADA EDITION vehicle, complete with national colors and a Red MAPLE LEAF on the car? {PS needs RED wheels!}

You must be registered for see images

I am actually surprised that 54 Vipers were sold, due in large part to the restrictions cited.

We did our part, by purchasing, registering, insuring, and breaking-in a brand new ACR for a Canuk customer, who then took it across as a used car few mos. later. Was also "used" in an X-Box 360 game!

Oh, Canada!

Last edited:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love Vipers but the majority of canadians don't give a rat's *** about them .:eater: I know the local Viper stock and they're sitting here for months on and even over a year.Even harder to sell used ones that comes up from the states :eater:. There's no shortage of Vipers if someone wants to buy one :rolleyes:. There was one SSG ACR here unsold for almost a year .Porsches ,Mercedes and BMW is most popular here in bc because of the oriental population. East indians are into Lamborghinis and Ferrari struggles to sell the minimum 50 unit per year required to setup a dealership . Gazillion Mustangs here ,because many of those made in Canada as well .There's a Canada model that sits in the local showroom for months unsold.Any takers?

Ps; the canadian dollar is at par with the us ,maybe if the Vipers were priced the same here they would sell them quicker ,hmmm.

Last edited:

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Exchange. Where are they? Cant find it on the website where their business is located (would be illegal in Germany) ... contact page is more or less "empty".

without even checking, id say they are the very same vipers at Tomball or BJ Motors

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i remember when the euro SRT's came to the UK, Chrysler UK only ordered ten of them, and then really struggled to sell them

in the end they sold them at cost through the trade, some hung around for 2 years before they actually sold

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TX! ............ they have NO info on the website ... strangeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ps; the canadian dollar is at par with the us ,maybe if the Vipers were priced the same here they would sell them quicker ,hmmm.

Exactly!! I would gladly support my own economy, even if I had to pay an extra couple thousand dollars. But considering I can buy the same car in the US with a lot more selection, allowing me to be pickier on what I purchase, for 10-30g less money.......... Well it's a no brainer where I am going for my viper purchase.

As for the warranty issue, that is technically illegal for them to not honor warranty. Only problem is you might have to incur some legal fees to get them to own up. But generally if you find a good dealer, they will take care of your warranty. But in any sense, the amount of money saved on purchase price, will cover an excessive amount of repairs.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is probably the only super car I wouldnt worry about warranty. They simply dont break very often so warranty is only a feel good thing and if you can save 10g or more then it gives you a lot of extra $ for any small repairs that may pop up. This is the only car I would buy and not worry about buying new and not having warranty.

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love Vipers but the majority of canadians don't give a rat's *** about them .:eater: I know the local Viper stock and they're sitting here for months on and even over a year.Even harder to sell used ones that comes up from the states :eater:. There's no shortage of Vipers if someone wants to buy one :rolleyes:. There was one SSG ACR here unsold for almost a year .Porsches ,Mercedes and BMW is most popular here in bc because of the oriental population. East indians are into Lamborghinis and Ferrari struggles to sell the minimum 50 unit per year required to setup a dealership . Gazillion Mustangs here ,because many of those made in Canada as well .There's a Canada model that sits in the local showroom for months unsold.Any takers?

Interesting I was in Toronto the past summer and drove the Viper up and wow everyone thought I was a superstar.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is probably the only super car I wouldnt worry about warranty. They simply dont break very often so warranty is only a feel good thing and if you can save 10g or more then it gives you a lot of extra $ for any small repairs that may pop up. This is the only car I would buy and not worry about buying new and not having warranty.

Well said.

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats not to bad for us little Canadian folks.I think as Canadian Viper owners our tastes are going beyond SRTs to ACRs.Out of the 30 SSG ACR if the counts are correct the following six are here in Western Canada region2,9,13,17,19&29.Now i know 54 is not a large number as total sales to total production but 6 out of 30 seems to be a good number to kick sales off.So where did the other 24 go?

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our little area did it's part. Pop. for the region is about 300,000. We have 3. 2 FE verts, and 1 SSG vert.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting I was in Toronto the past summer and drove the Viper up and wow everyone thought I was a superstar.

People love the car, it just doesn't sell well. Unless you live in Alberta, there aren't many Canadians that can just go drop 150k on a car that is a toy, let alone a daily driver.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part of Canadas issue is we really are not a car country. Most here see cars as a way from A to B.

As for Viper, when list for an ACR is $120-130k, you have fewer people. Now add Canadas 13% sales tax to that, plus up to $5000 gas guzzler tax, it's a hard sell. That is why so many buy from the US. It's not that the dealer can't get them, it's just too dang much.

Yes, you loose waranty upon importation, but if you get the car $30k less, that's alot of potential warranty repair. Plus the US dollar is cheaper now so that further adds.

Hopefully Chrysler will see the huge price difference between Canada and US and fix it. There is no reason an identically equipped Ram can go for $40 k in the US, and they get $70k in Canada......:(

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No International Incident , but boy I would have to disagree with Canada not being a car country!! Chrysler for many years , according to your own press was bigger and more appreciated there than the other American Companies. Having been to Barrett-Jackson/ Russo and Steele for the past three years the amount of Canadian buyers is huge. The level of calls we have gotten from Canada is ridiculous, and if there was a way we could sell in Canada we would be out of cars every year. We can not jeopardize the Dealership so we do not sell up North, though I am sure some Franchises who are not aware of the severe penalties , etc. take the chance. We do sell low mileage , high quality used Vipers up North, as there are no restrictions on a used machine.

Hopefully when the 2013 comes out there may be more favorable pricing for Canada. With Sergio's and Ralph's roots in Hockey Country, there can always be hope for our friends up North.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth