Viper is still the best car for my money...

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First the sad news: I crashed my '05 roadster a couple of weeks ago. Totalled :(

Now the interesting news: I think I'll end up getting another Viper (this will be my 3rd). I have to admit - based partially on some of the ragging from this board over the past year, I was starting to lose faith in the car.

Turns out - I drove a ton of cars like a Lotus Elise, 911TT, new Z06, Vanquish, 360 spider, Panoz GTLM and a Lambo Murcielego (sp?).

For the money, the Viper still has more of what I want (looks, power, convertible, wow factor,...)than any of the above.

Only question now is new versus used.

Curious - do any of you know if the '06 H wheels I saw at the local dealer are any lighter than the stockers on my '05?

cheers -

j

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
J:

Sorry to hear about what happened. Glad to hear that you are okay.

Regarding the SRT, I would say go with a titled low mileage car and you will save more money. It makes no sense in paying thousands more just because it was not titled. Afterall you can purchase an extended warranty and probably still save money. I know of quite a few cars out there with low miles or brand new that are available for $5,000, $10,000, even $15,000 off MSRP. Shoot me an e mail or PM with the specs you are looking for (Coupe or Convertible and color choices) and I will hook you up some information.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could probably get a really good deal right now because the Gen 4 is coming. There is still a large stockpile of new Vipers waiting to be sold, and if you shop around you could still save big and get a new one. The only draw back on a used one is that you don't know how it was broke in. Would you be "Drivin' Miss Daisey" with 505 hp in your brand new Viper?

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does not make sense to buy used right now, you can get 10k off on a new 05 and close to that on an 06. The 5 spokes weigh about the same as the stockers, but they look a lot better.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does not make sense to buy used right now, you can get 10k off on a new 05 and close to that on an 06. The 5 spokes weigh about the same as the stockers, but they look a lot better.

Watch out Lee, people might think we are killing the market by stating these good deals. :2tu: :2tu:

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go new - you can get a great price and the long spoke wheels at the same time (instead of buying wheels twice.).

roofum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yo sparky ya have to know when to say when.1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila floor or in your case bang @#%%^^&*%$# zoom.me thinks a yugo with a roe on it

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
roof, I honestly have no clue what you are talking about most of the time.

by used, I happen to know of a nice Zenmobile on ebay stuck at 50,300!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could probably get a really good deal right now because the Gen 4 is coming. There is still a large stockpile of new Vipers waiting to be sold, and if you shop around you could still save big and get a new one. The only draw back on a used one is that you don't know how it was broke in. Would you be "Drivin' Miss Daisey" with 505 hp in your brand new Viper?

I think the Gen 3.5 is what’s next.
As far as how the car was broken in. I think these Vipers are bullet proof. New or used, it come down to money and what you want. IMO

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does not make sense to buy used right now
Here in Arizona if you buy private party to private party there is no sales tax which means if you bought a $60k used GenIII you would save $4,800. That is a big chunk of a Paxton. I saved $3,200 when I bought my Gen II because I limited possible cars to private party sales.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Arizona has no sales tax? I learn something new everyday. Problem is that you pay sales tax for the place that you live so if that we true, he would have to live in Arizona.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Arizona has no sales tax? I learn something new everyday. Problem is that you pay sales tax for the place that you live so if that we true, he would have to live in Arizona.

It is the same in Georgia. If you buy from a private party who has already paid sales tax on the car....you don't pay again. Alot of states are like that.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow. Looks like I should be moving! Now do you end up paying sales tax at the dealership?

Yes...any purchase new or old gets taxed from the dealership.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Looks like I should be moving! Now do you end up paying sales tax at the dealership?

Yes...any purchase new or old gets taxed from the dealership.
Same here - you pay tax if you buy new or used from dealership. If you wanted to cheat, you could buy from private party, then title the vehicle in Arizona for awhile. You SHOULD then pay use tax if your state requires, but it would be tough for them to ever figure it out.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do have a good point. You could just say that you had the car there and wanted to register it in a different state. You should not pay sales tax then even if you state declares it. I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK!!

roofum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
zen you spend to much time in the garage while the door is closed and the viper running, i know its a quick buzz.its called wit.one to many,one more for the ditch,i had to drive to drunk to walk.get it he done did his viper in ...??????

OP
OP
G

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the plot thickens. I saw the new pearl grey car and it was awesome looking.

I had pretty much decided on a used black one ('04 or '05). That way, I could add the Quaife (first mod) and the motons + Vec I took off my '95.

Now I am confused again - oh well.

j

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
zen you spend to much time in the garage while the door is closed and the viper running, i know its a quick buzz.its called wit.one to many,one more for the ditch,i had to drive to drunk to walk.get it he done did his viper in ...??????

Dude, say no to crack.. it kills, and in your case, makes you sound like a f'ing *****.

To the original question:
I own both the H wheels and the 5 stars. I'll weigh them and see what each weighs.

Jon

OP
OP
G

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks jon.

I know the ones on my '05 were really heavy. I'll probably get the H wheels anyway since I like them better but if they save weght too, I may even be able to rationalize the extra $$.

j