Viper, one of the most dangerous cars to drive?

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
So what do you guys advise to new drivers? How should you handle a Viper when you first bought it? How do you learn to handle it? Just hypotethically, let's say you've never driven a race car before... Because these posts make me think it is practically impossible to handle a Viper if it's your first race car...

Be aware of the car at all times. Try to be smooth all the time. It's just like shooting...slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think a big part of it is what car you are jumping from. Compared to a 4 ****** with ~200 bhp it is going to seem insane. Against some thing with 400 bhp it feels manageable - you just grow to appreciate the instant torque.

The car itself isn't dangerous at all. I've seen videos of where they went off the side of a trail and the driver walked away no problems. If you drive it safely, it'll be just as safe if not safer than a 4 ******. By safer I mean more power to use to avoid accidents if need be.

If you are not use to high powered vehicles and try to get the most out of the car, chances are the car has more than you do and that is where people deemed it dangerous.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, this thread is lame. Put a guy who has never ridden a motorcycle on a 220hp sportbike and see what happens in a couple of seconds. Is this where we are going in the future, where big brother or guys like this will determine what manufacturers are willing to build. Stop it.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The limit is high in a Viper. Between grip and no grip.
Once the rear comes loose most drivers cant recover in an emergency situation.

Been to many many driving schools I have seen the best drivers loosing the car on safe terrain.

Best bet is to stay far away from the limit on public roads!

Eduardo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sabera
So what do you guys advise to new drivers? How should you handle a Viper when you first bought it? How do you learn to handle it? Just hypotethically, let's say you've never driven a race car before... Because these posts make me think it is practically impossible to handle a Viper if it's your first race car...

For my opinion, number one as mentioned by lots of people get ride of the Run Flats and the car becomes much safer and predictable.

After that treat it with respect. There is so much grip that the limits come very hight and i don't think you need to try how far those limits are as you've gone by then too far already.

I use to drive Ford Mustangs on track and as they would loose traction so early it was never a problem to acheive control of it as you were
never carrying too much speed or extreme weight transfer. When you loose it on a Viper you are going to fast.

Just spent two days in belgium at Spa Francorchamps and the car was amazing, never came out of line, on wet or dry. You have got ABS for your braking and big tyres for your cornering. Now use your brain for the rest. Wait for your steering to unwind before squeezing (not slaming :))the throtle and it is one of the safest cars to have.

Remove all traction controls on a Ferrari 599, 430 or even a GTR and we are talking poo in the pants :( .
With the Viper never taken imodium yet.

Eduardo.

PS ( All the traction is on your tyres, not on any controls, so always let your tyres warm up before you push the car a bit more :) . I think all cars should come with a tyre temperature sensor with throtle restriction until they have reached a certain temperature :) )

Last edited:

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think all cars should come with a tyre temperature sensor with throtle restriction until they have reached a certain temperature :)

No more Nannies needed :nono: I prefer to hone my driving skills via instruction and practice, practice, practice ;)

Eduardo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, much better :D I was getting concerned about you, thought you might have fallen and bumped your head :)

:)

Some photos of Spa Francorchamps.

You must be registered for see images

Eduardo.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think it is established how important the driver is.

I wonder if the original poster was looking more for comments about the frame durability, crash protection... Basically, how strongly built is the Viper say compared to a Vette. Which car does a better job of physically protecting the occupants? I think those are the questions that remain unanswered.

The question has been answered and we already know the answer. This car is more safe than others but not more safe in comparison to a lot of other vehicles. What other vehicles is the only thing that remains unanswered.

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The limit is high in a Viper. Between grip and no grip.
Once the rear comes loose most drivers cant recover in an emergency situation.

Been to many many driving schools I have seen the best drivers loosing the car on safe terrain.

Best bet is to stay far away from the limit on public roads!

Top Gears test of the 2003 Viper SRT10 sums it up nicely. Its has INSANE GRIP, but once you lose traction it KILLS YOU since you are going soooo fast when you lose it.

In Summary: If you are going FAST enough to lose grip in a VIPER on the street.... then your driving STUPID and yes.. you may die. Keep the driving near the limits to the TRACK.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BUT, a little fear and a lot of respect are indicated in MY opinion!!!

This and This has kept me alive in my first year of ownership (7/17 1st anniversary :headbang:) My first hot rod / race car / HP beast, driving it is very intense you have to stay focused at all times, and also try to avoid stupidity as much as possible. :smirk:

brantdw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I came from the all wheel drive club. I owned an STI that was fairly damn fast and could perform great on the street. It would get away from me, but was mostly recoverable. Being an owner for only a month I have deep respect for the torque on this car. I have has a couple of fishtails under acceleration and have been able to recover. Its kinda like driving old school with RWD cars.

I do respect this car and it has some tremendous torque and HP. This understand that this car can bite hard if played stupid. I am going to take it to the track and learn more about it. But just like driving my Liter sport bike. The throttle is in your head. Play stupid and the razor edge may bite hard.

With much respect, Im not afraid to drive it.

-B

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My local Dodge dealer, where I bought the vehicle, stated that 50% of Vipers they have sold since 2006 have been totalled with 1 fatality.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the most dangerous gun I ever shot was a, well, they will all kill you!
You need training or a solid background with high performance cars.
And, self control.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My local Dodge dealer, where I bought the vehicle, stated that 50% of Vipers they have sold since 2006 have been totalled with 1 fatality.

Yikes, that's a nasty trend. So we know the production numbers on these cars, I wonder what the remaining numbers are like? It seems like a pile of Vipers are on Ebay at any time and about 10% of those are salvaged title. SO at least some come back from the dead.

Sabera

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the great responses! :)

@Eduardo: next time you're at Spa you should pm me! I'd love to come and take a look!

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is how I treat the Viper. I drive it like I would a NASCAR race car on the street. My car has almost as much power and weighs about the same. No nannies other than ABS. During a NASCAR race, ever notice they can't take off too fast during a restart or they spin the tires? Ever notice that if a driver loses control of the car on a road course they very rarely are able to save it?.....and these are professional race car drivers. You have to remember what you're driving and that everything happens very fast and there is very little between at the limit and over the limit. NASCAR gets sticky slicks, we don't even have that advantage on the road.

You can have the oldest, most under-maintained Viper with no ABS and rock hard runflats and you can take any corner in the world at the posted speed limit and not wreck. But the "at the limit" of a Viper becomes very narrow on the street because of all the other variables that a racetrack does not have (12 foot wide lane, on coming traffic, trees, curbs, gravel, etc). Race it on the street and yes, you will wreck your Viper eventually. All the driver training in the world does not give you the right to possibly run over one of my kids walking on the sidewalk while you try to play Lewis Hamilton. Can you find a deserted stretch of road in the middle of nowhere and give a quick burst of speed and not have an issue, most definately. But, as soon as you put corners, people, other cars, curbs, etc in the mix you're going to get bit eventually.

So, I'd say yes, of all the modern mass produced high performance cars in the world, the Viper IS the most dangerous to drive. So knowing that it is the most dangerous car you should know that you will get bit on the street if you screw around. Take it to the track where you can really push the car to its full potential and really see how fast it is. I find it interesting that the fastest drivers I know on the track drive the slowest and most sane on the street.

Good luck,
George

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna approach your question from a different angle:

Once you learn your Viper, and you minimize risk by not driving it on rainy days on wheel-rutted highways, etc. then it comes down to the risk around you on nice, sunny, warm days. Yep, the Viper is dangerous as the other drivers around you will do silly, sometimes insanely stupid things that can and will cause accidents to photograph, video-record or just look at your car and to see who might be driving. I've witnessed countless times other drivers doing things that just about cause accidents...I've had drivers a lane or two over (who are barely able to maintain their lane) holding their cell phone videotaping me while I drive. So yes, owning and driving your Viper can be dangerous....even once you learn to drive at no more than 6 or 7/10ths of its capability. (higher limits on the track, once you have sufficient experience)

Regards,
Aaron

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know how dangerous the viper is to drive compared to other cars? Is there any statistics of how many accident the viper have been involved in? In Sweden where I live there is about 100 vipers, and what I know of at least 2 have been killed in one. 2% risk of getting killed sounds kind of high to me!

The capabilities of the Viper should allow a competent driver to avoid accidents that drivers in other cars would be incapable of avoiding. It has awesome brakes (about the best there are), terrific handling (pulls over a G), and great acceleration to avoid some situations. However, these same things in the hands of a poorly skilled driver can spell disaster. Particularly the great acceleration, applied suddenly or in the wrong situation, bad things can and do happen. I think the problem is that too many people think that a great car makes them a great driver. They get in a Viper and think "well I can drive really fast, aren't I great?" Answer is "no you're not great, the car is if you know how to drive it." You certainly get stupid drivers in other cars too but I do think the Viper's image gives folks a false bravado.

I'm not sure why so many of us find it difficult to answer the question directly and honestly, YES. It IS more dangerous than most under all but contrived circumstances.

gbatejan has it right, with just one omission. I'd venture that EVERY new Viper owner drives his Viper faster and harder than most every other car they own or have owned (the previous does not apply to those with numerous Vipers and/or additional 500+HP sportscars). The Viper's extraordinary driving capabilities are more than compromised by that fact in the context of this discussion.

Think about it. We're effectively comparing the "danger" intrinsic to ... well ... say ... the average driver's (rather imprecise) experience in a minivan at 55 mph with that same driver's experience in a Viper at 85 mph. In which scenario would you prefer to occupy the passenger seat? Again, make your choice based on the "average driver".

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the things I've been noticing on these more pricey sports cars is the "Mid-Life Crisis" factor. While I'd like to think that most guys spend decades driving various hot rods and sports cars before coming to an age where they can afford an exotic or semi-exotic machine, for some guys who are in their Mid-life mode it can be the first purchase of a vehicle with any sort of high performance. "Always wanted one, but never quite took the plunge. " So I'd imagine that could be an interesting experience after driving "sensible" cars all their lives. As for me, one of my first cars (at age 17) was a '70 Dodge Charger R/T with a fresh 440 magnum, 4-speed and 4.10 gears. While I never wrecked that car, it was arguably a dangerous ride for a teenager-- and ironically-- it was the last vehicle I have owned that I did not feel the need to modify for more horsepower! While the stock HP ( and esp. torque) of a Viper is impressive, certainly it can be fun to have even more, which I guess explains all the highly modified snakes here on the forum... you guys can never get enough (me too)! Sorry, there is no 12-step program for Power Addiction.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To summarize, it's a very simple equation (sorry...I'm an engineer):

High HP + Low IQ = Disaster (Squared)

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the things I've been noticing on these more pricey sports cars is the "Mid-Life Crisis" factor. While I'd like to think that most guys spend decades driving various hot rods and sports cars before coming to an age where they can afford an exotic or semi-exotic machine, for some guys who are in their Mid-life mode it can be the first purchase of a vehicle with any sort of high performance. "Always wanted one, but never quite took the plunge. " So I'd imagine that could be an interesting experience after driving "sensible" cars all their lives. As for me, one of my first cars (at age 17) was a '70 Dodge Charger R/T with a fresh 440 magnum, 4-speed and 4.10 gears. While I never wrecked that car, it was arguably a dangerous ride for a teenager-- and ironically-- it was the last vehicle I have owned that I did not feel the need to modify for more horsepower! While the stock HP ( and esp. torque) of a Viper is impressive, certainly it can be fun to have even more, which I guess explains all the highly modified snakes here on the forum... you guys can never get enough (me too)! Sorry, there is no 12-step program for Power Addiction.

The same applies to motorcycles. When you look at statistics, there are so many accidents/deaths from that "mid-life" crowd, who haven't had a cycle for that long. Scary stuff.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is probably the biggest reason I hesitate to buy a Viper. I think I'd love it, but how can I truly enjoy the car if I'm always in fear of a wreck? I've daily driven a 400whp car with no nannies other than ABS, but for some reason I see the Viper as a different ballgame. I suppose I'll be test driving one when I test drive the C6 Z06.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235