Viper Owner to be.....please help guys >>

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat you are.. except I came from a GM and Mopar muscle background
smile.gif

I'll tell you what everyone has told me... but don't take it to heart as I am not yet a viper owner..

For starters, ViperMania (Vmania) makes glass windows that seem to be the rave of all RT/10 owners. Apparently, early curtains were impossible to see out of. In 96, they replaced the curtains w/ sliders (plexi) then the next year they became power windows. 95's were still windowless. I'm getting a set of V-mania windows and a hardtop to match, so I can drive it when the air is nippy and not have a frosted face
smile.gif

I'm still a little confused about the locking issue. It's suppost to be keyless entry, but the door handles are inside the window support frame (inside)???. I'm guessing that yes, the car can lock, but someone could just pop the lock open when you have the softop off. Some aftermarket glass works w/ locks, but Vmania does'nt (I think).

96's had the slider windows, White/blue stripe color scheme and some interior changes. I believe that was the year for the HP/TQ increase as well, since the GTS came out that year. 450hp up from close to 400. 96 was still a "smoothie" viper, but lost it's side pipes in favor of rear-exit exhaust.

Mods? I just asked that question!
smile.gif
Seems to be smooth tubes + K&N's to start, followed by removing the cat and stock mufflers for a good cheap gain (15 RWHP), then headers and good aftermarket 3" system (45hp or so! wow!). After that... it gets a bit extreme. Gears, roller rockers, big $$$ I'm going for some juice for my speed kick ;)

Good luck on your new purchase! i'll have mine soon enough as well.

James

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) No windows on 1st Gen RT/10s. Hense the curtains to keep some of the water out. V-Mania seems to have the best windows, they slide sideways like a patio door.

2) No windows, no door handles, no locks. If you don't get it; get the '98 it has all 3.

3) Stripes are painted on, under the clear coat. Car would have to repainted to remove them. You can get Rt/10s without stripes.

4) Must have mods, K&N air filters and smooth tubes. Also an after market exhaust. Many choices and many different sounds available. Go to a local VCA meeting and test listen to a bunch. Unless you live where it never rains I would also get a hard top.

Just a few posts below this one there was one about a '94 black RT/10 with 101,000 miles, but for only $29,500. Might be a great first Viper.

99 Sidewinder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car can not be locked but it has a car alarm. There are aftermarket side curtains which can be locked. I am not sure about removing the stripes (I am not a stripes guy either.) To be safe I would purchase a car without strips. Relatively, There are alot of RT/10's in those years without strips.

As far as 95 vs 96 the most significant change I am aware of is they deleted the sidepipes in 1996. If you want sidepipes, get a 95.

The stock 95 side curtains are flexible plastic. There are aftermarket side curtains that you can get that are plexi-glass. The stock 96 side curtains are plexiglass sliders. The 96 windows will fit right in a 95.

As far as must have mods, the smooth air inlet tubes are cheap and give about 5-7hp. Many get the K&N air filters which are worth about the same again. (K&N's don't filter as good as stock filters). From there exhaust upgrades give significant hp gains.
Good luck!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also keep in mind if you are going for a collectable, the 95 with the "last 300" stamp will be desirable. One thing not mention was the fact that the 96 R/T has 15 more HP and , more important, the 96 has the better suspension.

Mike

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wilddude:
One thing not mention was the fact that the 96 R/T has 15 more HP and , more important, the 96 has the better suspension.

Mike
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is an important point to note. It's the reason I went with a '96 over a '95 Red/Tan. However, all Black '96 RT/10's had the thin silver stripes.

BTW, Northwind offers a locking plexiglass slider window which would allow you to secure your Viper. However, the V-Mania windows are a wonderful product and most people won't even mess with your car. Just don't leave stuff in the open. Put valuables in the trunk when you are away from the car. Enjoy the open air of the roadster.

Matt

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of questions, but lets give this a try.

There is a major difference between a 95 & 96 RT10. 96 has more horsepower, and an all new suspension. It also is the year that the black came with stripes.

As for windows, V-Mainia has a great product, but so does Northwind. I actually am more familiar with the Northwind version and would feel very comfortable in recommending them.

You can lock it, but you still have to reach inside to open. Some people have had aftermarket door locks and openers put in. That seems to work also?

As for modifications Bob hit it right on the head. Listen and learn before you waste money. I am one of the few that has remained bone stock for over 8 years, and yes I still smile when I drive my Viper.

I know of a Viper in Illinois, both of it's owners have been club members, so I have know this car since it got here. I think it has 6,000 miles, and I am certain that it has never been on a track. It also has an extended warranty. All original no mods. Owner name is Mike Priombi, 847-732-7736. He called me this morning to tell me he is putting it up for sale. Give him a call. I think he is looking for $45,000?

Have fun shopping, you only get to do this a few times!

GTzViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 94/RT with both the after market windows. I first purchased the V-MANIA which worked well but if you have the top on it gets VERY hot inside and the windows do not allow any fresh air to come in.The opennings are just big enough for your hand to reach in.So i tried the NORTHWIND windows which slide open half way, still not as good as normal windows but much much better. N.W. are the ones i would recommend and yes both sides lock. If you want i'd be happy to show them to you. I live in Highlands Ranch probably not too far from you. E-mail me if you'd like to meet. Good luck with your new snake.

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, I think if you look hard you will find a 98, maybe with few miles on it but all the goodies like 450 HP, and side windows for around $50,000.

Just my .02

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For $52-53k, you could probably get into a gen2, when I was doing my search a few months ago, I had even come across a 99 with 15-20k miles (can't remember exactly) for $53k - the economy was making some people move them...