Viper Racing in Trans-Am in 2001

Rich Carlson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just heard from Tommy Archer that they will run a 2001 Viper in the Trans-Am next year. Car will be modified to meet the requirements and keep an even playing field. Engine is to be a Caldwell V-8 with a lot of horsepower.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Take a look at car-truck.com for a pic of Tommy's awesome machine!

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a tube frame V8 powered race car with a Viper body. That's about as much Viper as the current 'Jaguar' is a Jaguar.

I suppose the windshield will at least need to retain the stock profile. Still, the racing should be good. I've always enjoyed Trans Am. I just can't identify too much with the cars.

Jim

JBenko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the car will be Trans Am legal. This means that it is limited in displacement to (I think) 310 ci., ergo a V8.
You must be registered for see images
However, there are some good things going on here.

1. Tommy is driving. Without Oreca on the map this will be the best way to watch a "Viper" dominate road racing. (Still waiting to see if any strong privateer team emerges next year. Maybe in Grand Am ?)

2. Mr. Panoz has dumped a considerable amount of money into Trans Am (ie. prize money). This will likely up the quality of teams and Drivers that participate

3. The rules are changing next year to strongly encourage body profiles that are significantly similar to street cars. I think they have to be the same from 13" off the ground up, except for around the wheel wells. The Cinjo / Archer team car will very much resemble a steeet GTS.

4. The Cinjo / Archer team values the Viper heritage. I think that they will be very interested in working with the VCA to generate enthusiasm for both their car and ours.

Let's give them some support !

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery