1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viper Red Paint

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by GA- Viper, Jun 28, 2020.

1. GA- Viper

GA- Viper Enthusiast

Hello all,
    I am trying to do some touch up of a few small chips on my 95.The original paint code was LRN. Which per the Mopar color charts is now PRN. I ordered factory Mopar PRN touch up paint but it is noticeably darker than the red on the car. The car is all original paint always garaged and covered so I don't think the paint color has changed. I read some old threads on other colors that apparently their were some slight variations in colors with blue cars but nothing mentioning the Viper red cars.

Any of you guys with Viper red cars have any thoughts or recommendations on where to get a correct color match for Viper Red ?
    Thanks.

2. DJ'sviper

DJ'sviper Enthusiast

IMG_2898.jpg IMG_2901.jpg IMG_2899.jpg IMG_2902.jpg I've worked a lot with touch up having two classic cars and the viper. I like the front view photo. It looks like its ready to give yo a viper bite. The top is when I first used the paint. After seeing your post I decided to fill in the cavity. Bottom photo. You can't even tell it was repaired. I used this pen. I have had the sills repainted and the different tops for the viper and the color had to be adjusted for the car. I went to PPG store when I did the interior of the car and they tried to match it but it was still off. They gave me a small jar with color to fine tune the half pint I was working with. I kept adding until I got it perfect. Complete restored the interior with air brush over original color. Used sand paper to bring back the suede look. So maybe that is an alternative route you can take. Mine is a '93 viper, color might be different but I don't think so.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  3. GA- Viper

GA- Viper Enthusiast

Hey DJ,
    Thanks for the reply and your pics. I heard also that there were changes in "Viper Red" paint suppliers to Chrysler over the years. Not just with their touch-up paint , but also during the original production of the cars. So getting a correct match of the Mopar touch up paint View attachment 87396 is difficult. As you can see by the picture the Mopar touch up is quite a bit darker.
    I have located an old school paint supplier who said he will start with a computer shot and than hand mix to correct.

IMG_5366 (2).jpg

4. DJ'sviper

DJ'sviper Enthusiast

That's probably the best way to go. I had the back of the car painted and the top. and they had to huge with paint to get it to match. I think you are right in that the viper red changed over the years.