Viper Supercharger, Production Update......

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Just thought I'd drop in and share with you the latest progress.

You'd think that a final working prototype design would make for an easy transition into production.
smile.gif
It doesn't, unless you plan to only make a couple of the same parts by hand. Come up with one idea, or change on a part, and it alters everything around it like the domino effect. That's what we had to overcome to start production. Parts are being made, but to get them started required everything, and I mean everything, to be specified with the radius, length, height, chamfer, surface finish, tolerances to within .***, etc. in the proper file formats that machine shops and extrusion companies use, such as Iges, Step, DXF, etc. Oh boy, was that fun.
smile.gif
(Dodge engineers do not have an easy job and really did a nice job building our cars) "Say, that 1/4-28 tapped hole, how deep do you want the hole drilled, how deep do you want the threads and do you want a 1B, 2B or 3B thread?"
smile.gif
It's been incredibly time consuming, but wait until you see the parts. 95 % of the parts are made by CNC machine with little human involvement (error).

We got the first intake manifold yesterday, machined out of a solid block of billet aluminum. We're using it to finalize the blower support height dimension and pulley offset on the mock-up engine right now, but it will be on the car and at the dyno soon.

Here's what the system comes with (parts with an * began life as a drawing in our shop and are manufactured specifically for this system):

- Intake manifold base *
- Intake manifold top plate *
- Autorotor Compressor (SC)
- Eaton Bypass Valve
- Bypass valve to inlet hose, reinforced *
- Compressor inlet plenum *
- Plenum to throttle body tubes (dual 3") with ports & flanges powdercoated the same textured red as the valve covers *
- Throttle body linkage *
- Extruded aluminum fuel rail with incorporated mount *
- 10 high volume Bosch fuel injectors
- 3/8" Stainles steel braided Teflon fuel rail lines with the same quick connect as the factory line *
- 3" red silicone smooth tubes with stainless steel clamps*
- Blower drive support plate with idler pulley mount *
- 7 rib serpentine belt
- New crankcase ventilation system with red silicone tubes *
- Fuel pump voltage boost wiring harness *
- 5 psi pulley *
- Plated steel and stainless steel mounting hardware

So, as you can see, we've been busy and it's been a lot of hard work to manufacture this system. We're trying to keep the costs down, but the main thing is to do it right.

Thanks for your interest and patience.

Sean

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Sean Roe on 07-17-2002 at 05:22 PM</font>

S

SUN RA KAT

Looks like a lot of people will soon be very, very happy!

I got to drive a Viper GTS about two weeks ago and now I'm going to get a Viper soon, between next month and a year and a half from now. I already have a Ram truck and I fit in the Viper GTS with the seat lowering kit. I have to decide which one to get - new or used GTS or RT-10 (if there's enough head room for me in the RT-10 with the tops on), or get the SRT-10 when it comes out to the general public in fall of 2003. I was going to get the Ram SRT-10, but I've changed my mind.

I'm looking forward to putting your supercharger system on my Viper when I get it - but only after I attend a performance driving school!

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds awesome Sean, definetely alot of man hours and preserverance, and I am sure it will be all but worth it. GONABITE (waiting with baited breath for the results).
eek.gif

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. A lot of people don't realize that there is a difference between making a s/c or turbo for a car and having it work versus actually putting it into production as consistant quality kit for everyone. A lot of time is spent developing the product and perfecting it, but just as much time is spent trying to figure out how to make it as a production item where everything id the same. Not to mention you have to factor in the "bonehead factor" That's when you know you have to go the extra step for people that aren't as carefull or knowlegable as the developer or sometimes just a little lazy.
For example if you know the fuel issues all work well but the system is running at peak, you might have to overengineer extra fuel supply for those that may have a fuel system that is not working up to par or they forget to change fuel filters regularly which cuts supply down. No ones a lean fuel mixture on a SC.
We appreciate all that you are doing, but the wait is killing me!!!
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,
Thanks for the hard work and the great update. We appreciate the hard work and detail that you have put into this kit. From the sounds of it, this is going to be quite the work of art. This is one of those rare times where I cant wait for someone to charge my CC!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SmokinV10:
Sean,
Thanks for the hard work and the great update. We appreciate the hard work and detail that you have put into this kit. From the sounds of it, this is going to be quite the work of art. This is one of those rare times where I cant wait for someone to charge my CC!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean:

Please charge my SC to Smokin's CC. Couldn't resist.
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21