Viper Tech question need help

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got this 98 GTS and when I took it out today I saw oil on the floor. I got under the car and it seemed that the oil was coming from the topside. I checked the oil and it shows that it is well over the max.
You must be registered for see images

I looked at the intake and under the runners I saw oil.

I also saw oil between the intake and the valve covers.

I drove the car home 500 miles with the oil level as shown. I think that could be the problem, but If I drain the oil to the correct amount what damage has this caused. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are vent tubes on the front of each valve cover that are connected by a rigid tube that in turn is connect to the front of the intake manifold. Additionally, there is a tube that takes blow-by from the air-box that I believe connects to this rigid cross-over tube. I would think the overfill puked oil into these "vents" and am guessing that one popped off or is leaking for the oil to get into the webs on the top of the block. Make sure you check all those hoses/fittings for leaks after you do the drain down and make sure you check your air filters because if it puked oil into the air box it will have soaked the driver's side filter. I cannot think of any way the oil got directly onto the top of the engine other than above or the tops of the valve cover gaskets failed. See also a recent thread recommending the best ways to clean your engine compartment! :D

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would say the most common I have seen is the timing cover...some of the casting is porus and causes the leak. I had mine leak and got it fixed.

OP
OP

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After further looking at the problem I have found that I have no clue. I checked the filters and they are clean and looking great. After looking at it for awhile I noticed that the oil under the intake is towards fire wall, not the belts. In fact the intake side where the air enters the system has very little to no oil then as you move back towards the firewall the oil begins to puddle with the biggest puddle all the way back to the firewall. If it was the PCV it would have oil in the front. I dont know.

Thanks

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm betting timing chain cover gasket, I had the same thing it blew oil all over the engine compartment and was real hard for the average person to detect. Chuck Tator knew right away and did the fix.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
98, where are you located? It is time consuming to do a timing cover. Not rocket science, but labor intensive.

I would first confirm that your timing cover is leaking. On the front of each valve cover, a plastic pipe connects between the two. Verify that did not pop off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi