Viper tire help

Bookie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Spent 4 hours on Saturday detailing my 2004 Viper. Decided to reward myself with a quick ride around town and picked up a nail the rear tire. I am not sure the tire can be saved. The nail is right between the sidewall and the tread. I need a little help in making the right decision.
1. Tires only have 8k miles and are very good shape. Do I need to replace both tires.
2. Does anyone have used factory runcraps that they want to sell (with around the same mileage).
3. Would you even try to save the tire.
4. Live in central NJ, any suggestions on where to have the tire serviced.

This happened once before and it took me 10 hours of hunting to find someone who could take a viper size tire off the rim.

Any help is much appreciated.

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time for PS2s. Try Cosco for the tire change.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rode over two nails, had them plugged and 1000+ miles later, no problems.

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called my local Dodge dealership (Orlando Dodge) the other day to find out who they recommended for patching/plugging a tire (turned out in the end that it didn't ********* the tire after all, thank goodness). After checking around with various people at the dealership, I was told they didn't recommended doing this to a Viper tire. Maybe it was a ploy to get me to purchase a new tire, I don't know, but I said a nice "thank you" and "goodbye." I've patched/plugged many a Viper tire over the years and never had any issues. This was the first I've heard this from anyone. That said, in your case it may not be fixable, due to the location of the hole.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would say plug it........... plugs have worked great before for me, I burned the tires down to nothing in my vettes with pluged tires. One problem i see would be the fact that it might be an eye sore if you can see it. I would try an plug it and see what happens, you can always then buy a tire. I had a gash in my back tire on my way home from atlanta, 5 hours later had a new tire and made my way home. I did not buy both rears because i was buying new rims/tires over the winter and i didn't want to waste the money. Anyways i did drive the car a few times with 1 brand new tire and 1 bald tire 14K miles and it was not a good idea, the car always wanted to break loose quicker on the bald side. (makes sense). I would recommend replacing the rears together if the plug does not work. I would also recommend getting rid of the runflats------I just put on pirelli's last week and man does it ride smoother and quieter.

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been told by educated and expereienced racers that there is no way you should plug that tire if it will be on the track. If it is street use only, maybe it is OK. HOWEVER...

I just replaced the run-craps on my 04 with PS2s courtesy of JonB - Parts Rack. It is flat out amazing how much different the car handles; the grip is fantastic. I kept the old tires to use as drifters because they are great for spinning, but not going anywhere fast.

If you search the boards here you'll find lots of good info on why 4 yr old run-craps are trash and should be replaced regardless of tread wear. I'm not qulaified to explain why, but the tires harden and that's why they lose all traction.

So don't waste your time fixing that tire, replace all 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302