Viper to be canceled and new Viper to come in 2012

Kadeuces

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the only thing special about the 2010s is the scarcity.
With less than 500 being made, that alone makes them special, otherwise, it'll be the same car.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do we always have to hear news like this from a magazine.
Because in some cases we have to defer to the manufacturer and their wishes. They had a very, very well publicized event today with all of the top Chrysler/Fiat execs to announce several Chrysler initiatives, not the least of which was the Viper. While we could have posted it a couple minutes before the magazines, we actually provided links to the live webcast so you could hear it at the exact same time as AutoWeek and the rest of the media. We do what we can! :2tu:

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few months ago the Viper was dead now it is looking like it will continue and that is bad news? Sorry I don't get it.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont understand the doom and gloom here WERE GETTING A NEW CAR .The Gen 4s were selling very poorly if the brand was to continue Dodge had to do this.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont understand the doom and gloom here WERE GETTING A NEW CAR .The Gen 4s were selling very poorly if the brand was to continue Dodge had to do this.

Why is everybody so negative???? :dunno:
Don't you think we should wait and see exactly what the "new" car is before we throw in the towel. What if everybody acted like this when the Gen 3 and gen 4 were coming out.. They seemed to be well received by all of us. The gen 5 might be the best Viper yet. Some of renderings of future Vipers done by Gilles are really cool.

Maybe we should stand behind Mr Gilles and company instead of in front of them...:dunno:

Remember, not that long ago the Viper was pronounced "dead". At least now they are fighting to keep it alive...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a wise man once said.......its over johnny !!!

if and thats a HUGE if (and im betting on never), "viper" comes back, you wont recognize it, wont wanna pay what they are asking for it, you wont like the sound, performance and certainly wont be calling it a viper

the greenies are getting their way and the italians well...... they are too

Reaction score
I'd prefer to wait and see. I'm excited for the new generation Viper.

The 2012 has to be different, with a better interior and more quality throughout.
Its been the same generation for too long, I think the re-design, look and feel of the 2012 will be the best Viper ever.

Why would they want to screw it up?

Ralph is an awesome designer, with his ear to the ground, he hears us loud and clear, he's one of us. Let him do his job, and wait for the best Viper ever to be released.

The price of the car is high enough, and I don't think it will change at all, it will remain priced similiar to where it is today and we will be waiting in line to buy one.

The 500 re-badged ones will look stale in comparison to the new 2012 Viper's just wait and see.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Some interesting posts... but for those that have decided on a negative twist:

"They" are far from our enemies!!! Ralph Gilles is the decisionmaker! Need I say more?

Ralph races OUR VIPER on any weekend he can!
Ralph is passionate about ALL THINGS VIPER!

Let's ask another question....

If you had your choice of ANY automobile manufacturer's engineers to assist in the development of a new Viper..... a manufacturer that has been active in motorsports.... a manufacturer who has a proven track record at building supercars for passionate, loyal car enthusiasts like us.... who would it be?

Gee, maybe Ferrari?

'nuff said. We had Lambo staff help with our original gen1 motor... and I would say it has been proven to be a bulletproof racebread motor. I'm open to having a bit of a prancing horse assisting sneaky pete and fangs with our next gen Viper!

...just my humble opinion... as usual.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 2012 has to be different, with a better interior and more quality throughout.
Its been the same generation for too long, I think the re-design, look and feel of the 2012 will be the best Viper ever.

That along with at least a $120k price tag. I'll keep the one I already have and enjoy the hell out of it.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because in some cases we have to defer to the manufacturer and their wishes. They had a very, very well publicized event today with all of the top Chrysler/Fiat execs to announce several Chrysler initiatives, not the least of which was the Viper. While we could have posted it a couple minutes before the magazines, we actually provided links to the live webcast so you could hear it at the exact same time as AutoWeek and the rest of the media. We do what we can! :2tu:

And believe me, it is well appreciated. I take an enormous amount of pride in being a multiple Viper owner as well as everyone else on this forum. Just want to see this 'new' car retain alot of the Viper DNA we all know and love!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gee, funny how folks forgot a timetable almost 4-5 years old that spoke of a new Viper sometime in 2011 or 2012. So the clairvoyance is coming true and the forgetful are preaching doom again. If you really like your car, and I mean really, then get on the bandwagon and thank Chrysler and quit all the negative crap. This is the Viper Club , not the " The Sky is Falling " Club , and after all the positives, it is time to realize ,amazingly, the timetable is still there as it has always been. The change is mandated by government regs, so SRT has known for years things had to change , and they will. Don't be surprised if you see a lighter, smaller, dual overhead cam V10 somewhere in your future and don't even begin to think that with Ralph at the helm it will lose it's integrity.

2010s will be the most special Vipers built to date, but don't read too much into it, as they will not be an identical 500. Expect some surprises , but figure the entire line will be unique, and many will be in short supply.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank goodness we finally have an execution date instead of being tortured on death row with no end in sight.

Lets think about the mentality of the Italians when it comes to motorsports...I think if you offered an Italian 2nd place in a race or death they would choose death.

The Viper is the first car to do to the Italians what the GT40 did for 4 years from 66-69 - until Ford bailed out of the Le Mans effort and the GT40 was no longer factory backed.

I think it's simple math:
Viper ACR $100k
Ferrari 599 $500k
Ferrari Enzo $1.5M

I completely agree that the gen5 will be a piece of art and venom - just as it has and as the Italian cars 99% of the time are. The interior will resemble all the other "luxury" high end super cars and the price will probably be on par with the ZR1 to offset the obvious costs associated with it.

Do I think that the Viper will remain the king of the hill at the Nurburging - no. Something tells me that it will fall ever so short of the latest Ferrari update or new car that they, simply by coincidence, release the same time the gen 5 is. Then just by fluke, the Viper will year by year simply fall further and further behind the Ferrari.

Most would call this simple biased speculation - I call it common sense.

I have the 1st and the last Viper in my book.

I sure hope I'm wrong.

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee, funny how folks forgot a timetable almost 4-5 years old that spoke of a new Viper sometime in 2011 or 2012. So the clairvoyance is coming true and the forgetful are preaching doom again. If you really like your car, and I mean really, then get on the bandwagon and thank Chrysler and quit all the negative crap. This is the Viper Club , not the " The Sky is Falling " Club , and after all the positives, it is time to realize ,amazingly, the timetable is still there as it has always been. The change is mandated by government regs, so SRT has known for years things had to change , and they will. Don't be surprised if you see a lighter, smaller, dual overhead cam V10 somewhere in your future and don't even begin to think that with Ralph at the helm it will lose it's integrity.

2010s will be the most special Vipers built to date, but don't read too much into it, as they will not be an identical 500. Expect some surprises , but figure the entire line will be unique, and many will be in short supply.

Exactly.

With all the doom and gloom, let's realize that some things recently have swung in the cars direction. Most notably not only Ralph, but other key Viper people (some former) who are back on board with Chrysler or having recently risen up in rank.

I'm actually not only excited about news about the current Viper (I think it's a wise business move on Chryslers part to limit production of the final year Gen4 - actually don't think they had a choice) but knowing the next Gen is at least on the radar is also great news. We have good drivers at the helm now and there are even some great plus's to the new organization.

I'm not an optimist by any means, but looking at this realistically I just don't see the point in criticisng a future product that we have no details on, no clue, how it'll end up - and especially when it might even surprise you.

Let's support our club and especially our car. It's easy to throw stones. There's a lot more to this than many of us understand, and while we're entitled to our opinion, it would be great to hear more positivity.

I for one, am in line for the next Gen car... whatever it is. I'll deal with whatever change I'm not used to. My check is written and dated with a hopeful 2012 release of a car with power, attitude, and distinction. I think they'll hit the mark. I love my Vipers, all my Chrysler products, and this club.

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hopefully the next viper comes with a coupe on day one. None of that convert only for 3-4 years crap.

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you guys may be getting a touch too excited, most articles I've seen say a new product is coming in 2012. They don't say a new Viper is coming necessarily.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If/when a new Viper come out I hope it has a radically different design so it will not be confused with a certain Chevy like the current version.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think fear of the unknown has everybody all worked up here. It has been an emotional rollercoaster with Viper be stopped, then reintroduced and now pseudo postponed till 2012. This, along with a new company that we are not certain of it's future for Chrysler has us all nervous. For now we should embrace what we have and not make assumptions that could actually change the outcome of what really may happen with our beloved snakes in the future.

I am just glad to be part of history and this club. We have incredible resources on here and I being a new Viper owner for the last year and a half have learned a lot.

Bruce

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am hoping for lighter and faster in 2012! Why not? Also, what is it with Americans that all our cars have to be cheap (in comparison to Euro supercars)? Can't anyone afford a $250k supercar in America? Let's hope they used the F40 as their model of success, but updated tranny and styling!

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When their release has big bold letters that state "Displacement isn't everything" It does not bode well for the Viper tradition. If it isn't a mean, unrefined, power monster then it's lost it's viperishness and it's just a vette.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bill, hope you guys aren't sitting on too many unsold '09's. Dodge just gave everyone a reason to defer their viper purchase till spring 2010. While I'm sure the 10's will be unique to some degree, I figure these special vipers will be special due to color combo's and clearing out all the extra parts like the stop tech's, and aero parts.
Good selling!! Mike

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing I'd want from Fiat/Ferrari is the mid-engine design. I'd love to see that V10 out the rear hatch. :2tu: Please spare us the TC, ESC and gizmo wizardry.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a bunch of negative comments here. It isn't like Vipers are going to go ~****~ and disappear. Everyone that still owns a Viper, well, still owns one. I can go buy as many as I can afford right this moment, there are hundreds of them on the used market. Think of several enthusiast cars of the past that have ended, that only HELPED the cars in the end. Our Vipers have diminished so horribly in value this past year, which has never been the case before. Hopefully this ending will spur the value of them to begin increasing the next few years.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's simple math:
Viper ACR $100k
Ferrari 599 $500k
Ferrari Enzo $1.5M.

I have a feeling you will not see Viper as expensive as a Ferrari. Just dont think it will happen. Fiat DOES understand the Viper's target market and what price range it needs to be in.

Secondly, there would be no need for them to amke another $500K car as they already offer many. Either way you look at it, they know that they would not sell many of them if they were to go that route. Thats not what a Dodge vehicle is about either. Chrysler Corp is about good quality vehicles for everyone. It was said yesterday in the meeting, and originally by Walter P.

I DO think that they will look after us (the Viper Nation). I don't think they would take it THAT far away from its roots. Yes, we may see some changes that had to be done wether we or Chrysler likes it or not, but... Besides, as was already said, Ralph is partially at the wheel here and he does understand the Viper Nation and what we want.

I am staying hopeful. :)

Although I am most curious about this batch of 500.:eater:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Redtanrt10,

We don't have too many 09s left, as we have done over 60 this year. Most of the ones we have and the few more in the pipeline are fairly unique ( for example we have 4 cars with the tan interiors coming in and very, very few were ordered ), so we should do fine.

Folks apparently are not aware that we will likely not see 2010s until possibly April or May, so plenty of time for many to grab an 09, and since they are also a small number production wise, they will likely be long gone by then.:2tu: