Viper to be canceled and new Viper to come in 2012

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 3 and Gen 4's might as well be minivans below 3000 rpms.

Uhhhhhh...what? I have 3 Gen II cars and with the exception of my Roe Supercharged Gen II, none match the Gen IV's grunt whether you're at 1,500RPM or 6,000RPM. :dunno: Yes, the Gen IV sure is a monster at high RPMs but still produces a better kick in the pants below 3,000 than my stock Gen IIs.

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope Delorenzo (SP) from auto extremist .com is wrong...but on this weeks autolinedetroit after hours he said he thought the next generation viper will be built off the maserati chassis..

Now thats messed up if its true...

Either way...for you viper owners I suggest you enjoy your rides..

the next generation may not be quite as cool..(according to what was suggested on the show mentioned earlier in this post)

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if the Viper is dead but this thread sure as shiite is. *** are you guys talking about the Gen argument here for? Start a new thread already! Or rehash one of the dozens of older ones on this subject. Freaking thread hijacking post ******...

Reaction score
I don't know if the Viper is dead but this thread sure as shiite is. *** are you guys talking about the Gen argument here for? Start a new thread already! Or rehash one of the dozens of older ones on this subject. Freaking thread hijacking post ******...

I must agree, this turned in to a who's is bigger and I was prepared to whip it out.
Signed,
Tripod

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BobPantax, I have a new '06 and my GTS is definitely faster. The '06's low end is so weak that it does not even feel like a performance car below 3000 rpms. I'm not sure about the average drivers but Furman's stock GTS time in the 1/4 mile is better than any stock Gen 3 time, including his own. It doesn't surprise me because I have both and there isn't any doubt in my mind which is faster accelerating. The GTS is far more responsive and pulls with authority right from idle, almost like a big block Chevy but not quite that strong. The Gen 3 and Gen 4's might as well be minivans below 3000 rpms. The GTS brakes are perfectly fine for normal street driving but I can see where you would want new generation brakes if racing.

Your buttometer kills me...

I had a 99rt10 and a 2003 SRT10...

The 99rt10 dynoed 420 rwhp sae with smooth tubes and kn filters.

The 2003 srt10 dynoed 459 rwhp sae on the same dyno with kn filtes and roller rockers...

I took them both out with my own personal timing gear(FX2)..Timing gear that I had used at the actual drag strip to verify acurracy several times...

Out of 75 passes in that 99 rt10 my best ever was a 12.2 at 119 mph...

Out of 28 passes in the SRT10 my best was a 11.9 at 122 mph....

After a few more mods on the rt10 for a total of..

-harland sharp roller rockers
-kn filters
-smooth tubes
-aem computer
-no cats..

The 99 rt10 dynoed 445 rwhp sae on that same dyno jet...I went back to the same location with the same gear and with much practice was able to muster a 12.0 at 122 mph...

Then after adding a another mod to the SRT10 for a total of...

-kn filters
-arrow raceing roller rockers
-no cats....For a total of 470 rwhp

I went back to the same location and with practice mustered a 11.7 at 124 mph.....

The point is that I was like you and wanted to stand behind my gen 2 being faster as it did "FEEL" a lil faster...But in reality the SRT10 EASILY out trapped it..Even with far less mods and also out ET'd it no problem...

Gen3's are legitimate 120 PLUS mph trapping cars....gen2's are legitimate 117 mph trapping cars..

Big differance

OP
OP
T

The Great One

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting back to the original topic of the thread.....

I think you guys are missing the point here. If you look at the article, they aren't clearly introducing a new generation of Viper. They make it sound like they are talking about an entirely new car. I don't know guys, but the future of the Viper as we know it is looking pretty grim in my opinion.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's pretty simple. If Viper sales skyrocket today (highly doubtful) they'll suddenly have a change of heart (like the last time they said it was dead). I certainly don't see any miracles on the horizon. I'm betting the car is done, and financially distressed manufacturers have no business producing "Halo" cars. Save the company, then worry about making rich kids toys. As much as I love the Viper, let's be realistic here.

OP
OP
T

The Great One

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's pretty simple. If Viper sales skyrocket today (highly doubtful) they'll suddenly have a change of heart (like the last time they said it was dead). I certainly don't see any miracles on the horizon. I'm betting the car is done, and financially distressed manufacturers have no business producing "Halo" cars. Save the company, then worry about making rich kids toys. As much as I love the Viper, let's be realistic here.

Agreed. It is going to be sad to see it go but you have to take a look at it from their eyes. Sure, we all would love to see it live on and continue this great community. However, if the car is not making any money, then it is of no interest to Chrysler.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't wait to see the new Gen 5 Viperrari from Sergio & FiatRycler in 2012.

M-m-m, my Viper lease is up in 2012, and with Ferrari offering their new Italia in 'automatic' F1 only...guess what will be in my future...ferraritovipertoviperrari of course :) See ya all in the fast lane...

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And again the 1Bad express rolls on. Cannot decipher that all cars are not equal, all drivers are not equal and all environments are not equal. Also, I hope the rest of the world realises that there is more than 1 copy of each and located in many regions.

And shut the f up about beating some record for your location. None, absolutely none could ever be run in that time in my neck of the woods. That does not mean that there are no good drivers here. I will bet a lot of money that you, Jamie or any other east coaster cannot run a 10.9 here with any of the stock cars you pitch (all Chevies by the way). So get off your soap box and go to the Chevy web site where you belong.
A RECORD IS A RECORD-THERE ARE NO ASTERICKS FOR REGIONS ECT (the only one you will EVER SET is hiding behind your computer screen )You comment on these things BUT NEVER APPEAR at a dragstrip.

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And again the 1Bad express rolls on. Cannot decipher that all cars are not equal, all drivers are not equal and all environments are not equal. Also, I hope the rest of the world realises that there is more than 1 copy of each and located in many regions.

And shut the f up about beating some record for your location. None, absolutely none could ever be run in that time in my neck of the woods. That does not mean that there are no good drivers here. I will bet a lot of money that you, Jamie or any other east coaster cannot run a 10.9 here with any of the stock cars you pitch (all Chevies by the way). So get off your soap box and go to the Chevy web site where you belong.

Hey, man! 1BADGTS has been valet-parking cars at drag strips for decades. That's where his extensive knowledge comes from.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, man! 1BADGTS has been valet-parking cars at drag strips for decades. That's where his extensive knowledge comes from.
Between that and HAVING ONE OF THE FASTEST all motor street tired Vipers in the country, winning 4 straight Mopar Atl National Titles- Modifyed VIPER street tire Division (along with a FEW other things including being selected to participate in a street round up test of the quickest TRUE street cars in the NJ-NY metro area conducted by Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford -Jan 2001 ) i guess your correct LOL.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the Energizer bunny of NJ keeps going, and going, and going.

Read closely. I will type in big letters so that you may understand.

Who Cares!

Now who can spell Modified correctly so that 1Bad can get his trophy redone.

P.S. this thread had nothing to do with you. Only people who buy new cars should have a concern regarding the future of the Viper, which was the topic here.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A RECORD IS A RECORD-THERE ARE NO ASTERICKS FOR REGIONS ECT (the only one you will EVER SET is hiding behind your computer screen )You comment on these things BUT NEVER APPEAR at a dragstrip.

Im gonna have **** take 1badGTS's side on this one..All the records seem to come from the same place....Those tracks seem to be a solid 1/2 second faster than other tracks..

My track here in hawaii..GTS's trapp 115-116 mph...C6Z06's trapp 121 mph..

Years ago my stock ls1 vette auto went 13.5 at 104 mph...beleave it or not..Out of 20 LS1's Camaro's/vettes ect. My 13.5 at 104 was tied for first place with a ws6 who went 13.5 at 106 bone stock..All the other stock LS1's were pretty much 13.7 and above..

At my track my stock 299 rwhp sae vette running 13.5's was pretty amazing..but over the internet compared to some other tracks across the US were a stock camaro can run a 12.99..Well my 13.5 was nonthing....When it comes to this internet stuff it isnt as much of how good you can drive as how quick your track is...And if 1 or 2 tracks are consistently a half second faster than all the other tracks in the US....Gotta make you wonder

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And the Energizer bunny of NJ keeps going, and going, and going.

Read closely. I will type in big letters so that you may understand.

Who Cares!

Now who can spell Modified correctly so that 1Bad can get his trophy redone.

P.S. this thread had nothing to do with you. Only people who buy new cars should have a concern regarding the future of the Viper, which was the topic here.
At least i have a FEW TROPHYS do you -bet not.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im gonna have **** take 1badGTS's side on this one..All the records seem to come from the same place....Those tracks seem to be a solid 1/2 second faster than other tracks..

My track here in hawaii..GTS's trapp 115-116 mph...C6Z06's trapp 121 mph..

Years ago my stock ls1 vette auto went 13.5 at 104 mph...beleave it or not..Out of 20 LS1's Camaro's/vettes ect. My 13.5 at 104 was tied for first place with a ws6 who went 13.5 at 106 bone stock..All the other stock LS1's were pretty much 13.7 and above..

At my track my stock 299 rwhp sae vette running 13.5's was pretty amazing..but over the internet compared to some other tracks across the US were a stock camaro can run a 12.99..Well my 13.5 was nonthing....When it comes to this internet stuff it isnt as much of how good you can drive as how quick your track is...And if 1 or 2 tracks are consistently a half second faster than all the other tracks in the US....Gotta make you wonder
Thank you as all the times i referenced are clearly available n the DRAG TIMES WEBSITE .My point was the same driver(SAME TRACK ) holds the record for a Gen 2 Viper ,Gen 4 Viper ,Z06 and Zr-1.The above being said there is a VERY LARGE DIFFERENCE between a car whose best pass ever is 11.5 and one that runs 10.9s (not even in the same ballpark )yet inexperianced racers come on the board and post their personal experiances in relation to the above (I BEAT Z06s IN MY STOCK GEN 2 ECT .) and its nothing but a FANTASY(they won because the driver in the VETTE SUCKED PLAIN and SIMPLE ) as indicated by the records of each car.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WELL....ACHOTS...Anything can happen on the street..

But yea it is rediculous if someone says their 2002 GTS ran a 11.7 at 122 mph at Atco and a C6Z06 driver runs a 11.8 at 121 at a florida track and then the GTS guy says his car is faster....

I raced a 100% stock 455 rwhp C6Z06 in my 1999 Viper with..

-no spare or jack
-AEM tune
-no cats
-smooth tubes
-KN filters for a total of 445 rwhp and 500 rwt SAE...I was only able to stay on his tail after he pulled me buy a car...Stock I would have been murdered by 4 cars...

We tried this atleaste 20 times...

With the SRT10 and the same stock C6Z06..

I had

-roller rockers
-KN filters
-no cats

And myself and the C6Z06 were dead even..tried this well over 20 times as well ( close friend of mine )but with just the KN filters and roller rockers he would put 1 to 2 cars on me...

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WELL....ACHOTS...Anything can happen on the street..

But yea it is rediculous if someone says their 2002 GTS ran a 11.7 at 122 mph at Atco and a C6Z06 driver runs a 11.8 at 121 at a florida track and then the GTS guy says his car is faster....

I raced a 100% stock 455 rwhp C6Z06 in my 1999 Viper with..

-no spare or jack
-AEM tune
-no cats
-smooth tubes
-KN filters for a total of 445 rwhp and 500 rwt SAE...I was only able to stay on his tail after he pulled me buy a car...Stock I would have been murdered by 4 cars...

We tried this atleaste 20 times...

With the SRT10 and the same stock C6Z06..

I had

-roller rockers
-KN filters
-no cats

And myself and the C6Z06 were dead even..tried this well over 20 times as well ( close friend of mine )but with just the KN filters and roller rockers he would put 1 to 2 cars on me...
Exactly thats why i referenced the records because the SAME guy holds ALL of them running at the same track.I mean IF they were a tenth apart one could argue BUT 6 tenths .In all actuality a Gen 4 and A Z06 ARE EXTREMELY CLOSE (ONE TENTH )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Englishtown (almost as fast as ATCO )is the home track of McmMullen Argus.In 2001 i got then VCA Pres Joe Houss stock Gen 2 tested by Super Chevy Mag (on the cover of the mag )against the then current Gen Z06.In a bad weather for power day the Viper driven by Evan Smith won the test its BEST run was 11.9 .A few years later (2006 )i was at the Super Chevy Test of the current Gen Z06(also at Englishtown ) .In almost the identical POOR WEATHER Smith popping 11.4-11.5 run after run like nothing .

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1bad....please knock off the hijack to the drag topic. This thread is about the possible cancellation of the Viper. No more drag topic please. And I have cautioned you before about posting multiple times in a row, wait till someone replies or you are talking to yourself. If you don't comform to that I'm going to start deleting your double posts.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cars are a funny thing. Feeling it is faster and being faster are not the same thing. My ole 69 Mach 1 feels extremely fast compared to my S351R Saleen, but come to the end of the quarter and well the S351R has it's hood up and has been cooling for a while. My S351R 408 Stroked and Supercharged Saleen feels really fast as well, but come to the end of the quarter and my 06 modified Viper is sitting with it's hood up and cooling down for just a while. It is just not faster, but the torque feels like it more powerful and the overall sound and feeling feels like it just a faster car. The stop watch does not lie, it is not.

The sound deadners, tightness, electronics and overall quality of the newer vehicles make them a lot faster than they "feel". I suspect the same situaiton between RT/10, GTS and SRT.

The bottomline is the new 2012 Viper, if it gets made, will be a lot faster than what we have now with the GEN IV, but I doubt it will "feel" like it is. If it is not, than why build it?

Again I am skeptical there is one, but willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

AndrewDoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To think the Italians had to pay $0 to get the Viper.....

I hope they just kill it... Up my value. I won't buy a new Viper, unless it is 100% American. I waited years to buy and chose the Copperhead for its uniqueness. It took me months to finally get one, and I was an inch from just going with a Gen IV (much better car all-around), but I wanted something special (plus I love burnt orange).....

I've been a Chrysler fan since I got my license....But with government ownership and sodomizing the Viper legacy, it kills it for me....

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep making excellent low end torque in a V10 with some curves back on the body and I'll keep buying.

Period.

I saw a 1996 GTS parked out in front of some shops the other day. There's simply nothing like it.

Love the new ACR, love the comp coupe - but it's just not as **** as the blue and while GTS....

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hopefully the next viper comes with a coupe on day one. None of that convert only for 3-4 years crap.

If they build only one style it should be the convertible. There are lots of high HP coupes to choose from....

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Because until the design team does something about the "nice Vette" looks of post 2002 Vipers the newer ones have absolutely no appeal to me. And as far as a few hp difference, a Gen II can have a few bolt on mods added by a top tuner for less than $15k (I've already checked into it) that will far outperform ANY stock Viper ever made.

Opinions are fine, everyone's got one.

I didn't even consider Vipers until they build full convertibles in '03.

I got my '04 in '05, and thanks to the Z06 got it new for the right price and am within 200 miles of having driven it 54,000 miles. I don't drive it in the salt and snow, so I am really enjoying it!

I also like it being fully warranted - no mods no hassle. It looks like the 70k will be up before the 7 years....

Kadeuces

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is from the new motortrend article about the new Laguna Seca record. I think its suffice to say- Its here to stay....

"It's been a tough year or so for Viper fans. With Chrysler's bankruptcy came rumors the storied sports car brand was to be spun off and sold. The Viper's giant V-10 was not going to make the next round of emissions and fuel consumption targets, and Chrysler, fighting for its survival, had neither the money nor the time to spend on developing a replacement.

But Viper's not only back on the agenda at Chrysler, it's here to stay, says Gilles. "2009 was a bad year for owners and a bad year for the car," he says. "But it woke up the whole Viper nation. Everyone realized how special it was." Dodge will now build 500 more Vipers through mid-July next year. "This will be a bridge to the new car," says Gilles, "and I can develop that in peace."

You read that right: a new Viper is coming."

Read more: Viper Ups the Ante - 2010 Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR Recaptures Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Lap Record - Motor Trend

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Well...

If the Italians limit their involvement to the interior design, this may not be so bad...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235