Viper vs. F-16

smfettig

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did anyone of you see the Viper vs. an F-16 last night on "Ripley's believe it or not"? The Viper beat the F-16 in the 1/4 mile but lost to it on the 1/2 mile by .2 seconds. Damn... It was awesome.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
"believe it or not" there's "the rest of the story"

Been 4 races so far. Score is 3 to 1. This March it should go to 5 to 1.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wish they put more effort in making it as fast as a vette rather than an F16.

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What was the outcome of the last Viper vs F16 race?

Since I'm in the military, I started to think about other vehicles that the Viper could race. How about a Patriot missile? It goes from 0 to supersonic in under one second, and can hit top cruising speed of Mach 5 (~3800 mph) in under three seconds (so it gains over 3000 mph in it's last two seconds of acceleration). And it can fly at that speed for nine minutes. Fully maneuverable by computer networks.

Just think if you could strap a seat and some wheels onto it! It weighs 2000 pounds and is 17 feet long, powered by a solid rocket motor. With those specs, it makes top fuel dragsters look really really slow. I'm guessing, if you lighten the fuel load (so it has enough to run the 1/4 mile without loss of thrust) and remove the 200 pound warhead, it would probably cover the quarter mile in what, one second? The top fuel guys say they are as fast as rocket dragsters; I just think that the rocket guys aren't using powerful enough engines. I wonder if someone would survive that enormous acceleration, 0-Mach 5 in under 3 seconds?

Now that's power!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO.

3800 mph in under 3 secs

6080 km / 3600 sec = 1689 m/s

a (acceleration) = dv/dt = 1689 [m/s] / 3 = 563 m/s^2

563 / 9.81 (g)

=> 57g !!!

A human can stand 5-10 g (?) before getting killed.

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A human can stand 5-10 g (?) before getting killed.
That is not entirely correct! I am flying high performance jet aircraft in the military every day and we often go to the 9G level. Today it is possible to pull 12G with some never G-suits without the slightest injury..
If you don't have any G-suit on you would just black out (due to no blood flooding to the brain), which would only cause brain injury due to lack of oxygen but no physical injury.

When you jump down from a table you can be exposed to 15G at the instance you hit the ground, but since it is for a short period of time nothing happens.

Furthermore the direction of the acceleration/deceleration has a lot to say. But I agree.. 57G will KILL you :)

Rocket65C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a documentary on the development of ejection seats for aircraft and they had footage of the highest g load ever sustained by a human who survived. I can't remember the specifics but a short duration of 37g sticks in my head(of course, it may just be sticks in my head). But this test pilot was severely injured and required extensive hospitalization. He recovered and went on to contribute more to aviation. But like Falconeer said, the stunt pilots and military routinely pull 9-11gs.

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ejection seats have an instantaneous G's of around 80-120 (depending on model, pilot weight, etc.). Then, the seat sustains anywhere from 12-18 G's over the travel of the seat (once again dependent on several things). I have a bud who has ejected and said he stayed conscience, but it hurt pretty bad. It has been said that the compression of the spine on ejection causes temporary height loss. At 5'9", I hope that I never have to eject!

Also, when it comes to acceleration, nothing in aviation beats a catapult launch off of a carrier (0-150 in 2.5 sec or so)! :ooo:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"believe it or not" there's "the rest of the story"

Been 4 races so far. Score is 3 to 1. This March it should go to 5 to 1.

who's winning???

3 to 1 viper

or

3 to 1 jet???

well now maybe 4 to 1 or whatever but whos in the lead?

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The jets won 2 in March. The first run was against a blue SRT coupe that sounded louder than stock. The car won to the 1/4, but the jet won by .2 sec at the 1/2. The second run was a modified comp coupe against the jet using afterburner. The pentagon has to give approval of afterburner use on the ground. The jet won easily by the 1/2. I think the pilots have been working on their 60' times.
The large airshow was on during the day. They gave us a one plane airshow at a party at night. The jet on afterburner looks like a giant sparkler. It then dropped multi-colored fireworks out its flare box. It was very cool, and I enjoy my tax money spent on toys like that.

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ejection seats have an instantaneous G's of around 80-120 (depending on model, pilot weight, etc.). Then, the seat sustains anywhere from 12-18 G's over the travel of the seat (once again dependent on several things). I have a bud who has ejected and said he stayed conscience, but it hurt pretty bad. It has been said that the compression of the spine on ejection causes temporary height loss. At 5'9", I hope that I never have to eject!

Also, when it comes to acceleration, nothing in aviation beats a catapult launch off of a carrier (0-150 in 2.5 sec or so)! :ooo:

About ten years ago, my sister was dating an Italian ENJJPT student pilot, and he told me that ejection seats have an explosive charge to blow the seat out of the cockpit, then several rocket motors fire off right after, to push the seat as far away from the jet as possible. I guess the explosive charge has a high instantaneous g load on the body, but since it's so brief, it does minimal damage to the body. Does anyone know how far an ejection seat can travel, and what speed it can hit before the chutes deploy? With catapults, I've heard that some of the lighter jets can hit 175 knots in 2.5 seconds, but I'm not sure how valid those numbers are.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960