Viper windshield?

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the way to VIR for Viperdays, a GD gravel truck got in front (well, actually, I caught up with it) and I couldn't pass on the two lane blacktop, soo.... I kept back what I tho't was a good distance and, sure enough, about a half mile before he turned off, he passed over a bridge joint and a good-sized rock caught my windshield. Imagine my colorful linguistic response!!
Anyway, long and short, State Farm is replacing under comp, no problem. But the glass company told me today they got one of TWO, and two only, Mopar windshield in the U.S. Can this be true? They said they tried to order from the local Dodge dealer, and they said they couldn't get one at all, and they contacted some other source and discovered the said fact. Is this possible? They also said there are no "aftermarket" Viper windshields being made. Really like to know what others have done for Gen II's in case (Gawd forbid) I get stuck like this again (I will keep a 1/4 mile distance next time).

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see windshields pop up on ebay every so often. $300.00/plus shipping.

I wouldn't be surprised at the low windshield inventory. How many Viper windshields are replaced in a year across the country?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys...this could be a valid concern...where do we go if need a windshield? Seriously, is this something that someone can refabricate?

BDZ1984

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced my windsheild about 5 months ago and had no problems getting one from the glass company my shop uses.. They had 3 in the wherehouse at the time.. The Dodge dealer does not carry a windsheild for the Viper. The biggest shock was the list on the windsheild is like $1495 but my cost is around $300....

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
theres a company near me which used to supply the window screens to Dodge, they can still produce them but there must be a license problem or something, they get around production problems I'm informed by supplying the screen only in 'heated' form, fine wires/elements within the glass used for de-frosting in winter, not that you would ever need that option.

OP
OP
A

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I searched some more and found that some have used a "Safelite" windshield, which retails high and can be had for around 400 or so. Is that identical to our factory screen?
Wish me luck today - hope they got the right one ordered (apparently RT and GTS are different).

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,

On Sunday afternoon, before my last run group at VIR, we noticed that my windshield had a crack on the passenger side. My wife called "Glass Doctor" on Tuesday, and they replaced the windshield on Wednesday morning at the house. The total cost was $283.00 ($165 for the windshield,$30 for adhesive, $75 for labor). They did a great job, looks better than ever.

The guy who replaced it said this windshield is by the same manufacture as the factory one. When she called, they did not have one in stock but they ordered it Tuesday afternoon and had it to put in Wednesday morning-so they must be fairly easy to get.

Good Luck,
Randy

OP
OP
A

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, Randy, glad to hear all came out OK. Well, I went to the shop and after they cleaned up the new ws (it was a Mopar, OEM) they found a small scratch on it and didn't want to install it like that. They are going to try to "buff out" the scratch - honestly, I didn't think it looked that bad and it was near where the rear view mirror attaches, so I probably wouldn't have noticed it. Also, don't know how much diff it makes getting OEM since the aftermarket is the same. Anyway, they're s'posed to call back.
Thanks again for everything at Viperdays, Randy!

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think what they are saying is right.
Mine had a stress fracture (same place as RC Viper) a few months ago so I rang Progressive Insurance, who put me on to their windscreen company.
They told me that they would get one made, 7-10 days wait.
Made an appointment for 10 days out, but they call me in 7 and come that day. Installed in the driveway for $280. Installer told me they don't stock them as the demand does not warrant the warehouse space, so they just have them made as needed.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
False alarm. Safelite has them. And when I got mine. Safelite brought out both front and rear GTS glass with a cost of $973 for both installed. These both had mopar logo and part numbers. Just shop around for the best price, as they do vary.

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just went through this last year. Dealers can't get them and the glass place had 2 broken being shipped to them. The reason the dealers can't get them is because they have to be glass installers. I contacted DC and they had plenty of front windows in stock. The dealer I used had to contact his Mopar parts Rep. and have their computer set up to order these. After 4-weeks it finally came in and I had my glass installer pick it up at the dealer and install it.

OP
OP
A

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Resolution

Not sure if this muddies the waters or what, but here goes: finally today, after getting back from a business trip, I contacted the auto-glass company, and they were ready to put the ws in. They had buffed a small scratch near the center of the ws, reducing it but not eliminating it, but, since it's really blocked by the rear view mirror anyway, we put it in today.
Looks great, it's an original MOPAR part, one of two in the country I am told... I asked the tech about the Safelite ws, and he said they are NOT OEM, and you don't want them in your car. I figure this is probably sales BS, and they were getting more $$ for the MOPAR from State Farm, but since my deductible is 0, didn't argue the point.
Just grist for the mill - I have no idea if the Safelites are really the same as MOPAR, but there sure as heck seem to be very few "OEM MOPARs" left.
I did verify that the markings in the passenger side lower corner were identical with the screen they removed. Is the Safelite really marked exactly like the OEM? Maybe this was all a big scam against my insurer?
Anyway, glad the new one is in there!

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Resolution

Glad you have got one. Really, in FL they said they are available all around (April 05) and safelite deals with dealers directly. Both front and rear hatch GTS windows have MOPAR logo. Safelite brought the rear hatch from their warehouse and front windshield was picked up at a Dodge dealer. It was a next day install and was not a bit of hassle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4