Viper Won't Start After Re-Build

Blown99c5

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was in Texas with my Viper a couple of months ago and spun the bearing on the #4 Rod. Had the Vehicle Transported back to Vegas, had the motor removed and totally re-built by a well known machine shop here in Vegas. They did this for 5K. I did replace the clutch etc at re-build. 2003 Viper with 29K miles on it. Once everything was install hit the srarter and it started and we immediately shut it down, wanted to spin up some oil pressure on the new motor. Tried to re-start the motor, get dash lites, motor turns over but is getting no spark. The battery was dead for about 2 months. Any idea what could be causing this?? Thanks

Dennis

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I suspect an alarm fault...battery died while car locked. EEU now in "you are stealing me" mode.

First try the ignition keyhole reset [under the drivers side mirror] for starting place.

OP
OP
B

Blown99c5

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tried that,didn't work. Left the iginition key in the on position for about an hour and walked away, still no Spark. All cannon plugs connected and wired correctly. May have to tow to Dodge and let them check it out. Thanks

Dennis

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fuel leak? I think there's a feature that disables the ignition if it detects a fuel leak. Just something I vaguely remember from reading through the manual. Even if there isn't a leak it may be throwing that from the rebuild. When I changed my intake the manual says to remove the fuse for fuel pump and follow depresurization procedures and reset with the code tool as it would throw a fuel leak code.

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the 04's was the only year that they where having problems with the bearings spinning:dunno: Thats pretty low mileage for a motor rebuild as well.Any other 03's out there that have had this problem too?

OP
OP
B

Blown99c5

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks all, Plumcrazy, didn't mean to waste your time. I thought this was a place you could come and talk to other Viper owners about issues we were having with our cars. Trust me, the Machine Shop is trying to run it down, just want to try to make sure I don't take it in the shorts.

V

Venomiss

Thanks all, Plumcrazy, didn't mean to waste your time. I thought this was a place you could come and talk to other Viper owners about issues we were having with our cars. Trust me, the Machine Shop is trying to run it down, just want to try to make sure I don't take it in the shorts.

Maybe save time and money by giving the machine shop the numbers for Viper techs direct for trouble shooting? Just an idea.
Chuck Tator
Mark Jorgensen
Tom Sessions
or possible closest to you would be Eddie Martin/Phoenix?
Was your engine supercharged?

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to say with out a scan tool hooked to the car. I would be looking at cam and crank sensors. Did you change the flywheel while the motor was out. May want to remove the crank sensor and make sure it not broken from something in the bell housing.Also check the cam sensor. If not properly installed it will hit the cam gear and brake off.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Have you checked ASD-1 and ASD-2 fuses?? ASD relays?? Any codes???

When my ASD fuse blew - it did not crank over like Dennis stated his did - but certainly worth looking at. I was thinking an alarm issue, but is sounds like he's ruled that out by doing the alarm-reset with the key under the mirror sequence.

Did you try disconnecting the battery, waiting 15 minutes and reconnecting and trying again? I'd also check to make sure the fuel system is pressurizing by checking the schradder valve on the fuel rail.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

V

Venomiss

Any news or update? Fingers crossed that it was figured out and you are too busy to reply as you are out testing it........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Incinr8