Viper wont start (electronic throttle control)

ssgviper28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to go start my viper last week and it seemed to turn but wouldnt start. Eventually it would stop turning at all but there was still power going to the stereo and lights. I ended up jump starting it with a battery and then this week same thing. Is this just a simple needs a new battery or something more because the Electronic Throttle Control light is on but its not starting.

By the way its a 2008 viper coupe with full belanger package

Thanks

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would guess battery. It takes a lot of juice to turn the V-10 over so even if the lights and radio work it still might not have enouf power to start. Because it started when you jumped it implies battery to me. Do you put your car in "sleep" mode when you don't drive it for a while? That will help the battery a bit.

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A battery tender is a must if the cars sits for more than a couple of weeks at a time. Attaches with ring terminals right to the battery and the plug is easy to get to through the rear diffuser.

1stSgt Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most auto parts stores will test the battery for free, my guess is your cold cranking amps are low. As stated above, the electronics are easy to power and don't have much of and amp drawl....the engine on the other hand definitely does! Batteries can be fine one day and gone the next too!

viper srt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
it happened to me

the reason was that the O2 sensor wire was completely gone !! Damaged

So I disconnected and unpluged the O2 sensor from the electrical circuit and then I was able to start my car normally with one sensor installed only, the next day I bought new sensor and just simply installed it

check your O2 sensor

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
it happened to me

the reason was that the O2 sensor wire was completely gone !! Damaged

So I disconnected and unpluged the O2 sensor from the electrical circuit and then I was able to start my car normally with one sensor installed only, the next day I bought new sensor and just simply installed it

check your O2 sensor

What he said is worth a check as well. Belanger is notorious for this, as some cars push the O2 wiring out into the side sill too far, and end up damaging the back side of the sensor/wiring, starting the chain of events. Shorter sensors, wiring re-route, or moving the insulation around usually solve it. We have seen one or two however that are just impossible- ended up having to go with Sims instead.

However, you likely have an actual battery issue if your car is not cranking over.

Last edited: