Viper wont start

OP
OP
H

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my way to dealer on flat bed now. Warranty covers it so I am going to use it. Again thank you all for your help in this frustrating situation.

OP
OP
H

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wreckers can be hazardous to your car's health if loaded wrong. I would've drove it to the dealership :rolaugh: :D
Trust me I know what you mean. I was there every move as he was loading it. He was indeed very careful I will give him that. I must say that the service from the warranty is very good so far. They get you a tow truck. The first one didnt have a flat bed avaliable so they called another one. I am for sure glad I got the warranty.

I really wish I could of fixed it on my own. The problem is here where I live there isnt anywhere where I can work on it. I really need to get a house with my own garage. The clutch safety switch is a true PITA to even get to. My neck is freaking sore from trying to adjust just to barely reach it. Trying to modify the piece to bypass it was out of the question becuse of that. I just figured let them deal with it. Well I am sure I will be on the road here in no time.

OP
OP
H

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a guess, since you say it happend after your foot slipped off the clutch, I would check the clutch safety switch at the pedal.
And yes you so far are the winner, at least from the broken pieces that fell off in my hand did come from the device. We will see what they officially say tomorrow. Of course when the car got there the service department was closed.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
In the past( at least on Gen II's)dealers were required to swap out the entire mechanism... switch, actuator rod, master cylinder, reservoir...just to fix the switch.

OP
OP
H

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just hoping that the dealer has the part needed in stock. My luck not likely and will be a few days before they can get it in. Oh if only the Wizard could be here in Hawaii. Chuck Tator, time to move to Hawaii :D

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah just you know they didn't even have Wiper blades in stock for me. So highly doubt it they do. $60 for wiper blades a joke lol.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah just you know they didn't even have Wiper blades in stock for me. So highly doubt it they do. $60 for wiper blades a joke lol.

I would think on a Viper wiper blades would last for the life of the car, since they never get used. :)

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I seem to have the same problem, as HI-NOS, at least I hope it just a clutch switch or a fuse and not the starter itself. Here is my sorrow story: We had a beautiful and sunny day today, and I took my GEN I for a spin enjoying the weather. The car ran good and strong. After a couple of stops and after a half of gas tank was vaporized, I made a quick stop to get a drink. When I was about to get on my way, the car didn’t start at a turn of a key. The lights were on and everything else seemed ok. Lucky me, I was parked on a down slope, and had a guy help me push the car to roll-start it. There must have been less than 40 feet to the curb. Wow it started. The car ran fine. Afterwards, I drove around, to find myself a longer downhill to test my starting problem. It took another couple of roll-starts before I drove it to the dealer, but it was closed for the night already. The car refuses to turn or make any life sounds when the key is turned. Just wondering if my 1994, has the same clutch safety switch as GEN 4 and is located in the same location as newer models. Or what fuse or solenoid might cause this. I do not think that a starter would just drop dead like that. If I remember correctly, it was a long and painful death for a starter on my 87’ Trans Am that I had. It died in smoke, struggling to turn the engine. Please tell me what to look for, and if I could do anything, now. I do not want to leave the car a dealer for over night. Thank you all.

OP
OP
H

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could be just a fuse. I am not sure what one it is on yours but on mine the fuse that controls ASD relay and PCM which is fuse #11. I am not sure where and if you have a clutch safety switch in yours like mine but your owners manual will say.

On a positive note got my viper back, they had and replaced the solenoid and all is good now. Thank you all for your suggestions. From what I can tell not a scratch or dent from the dealership. They didn't wash the car either which I am glad. Now I am enjoying my Viper like it was meant to be with so much open road here in Hawaii ;)

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all, I seem to have the same problem, as HI-NOS, at least I hope it just a clutch switch or a fuse and not the starter itself. Here is my sorrow story: We had a beautiful and sunny day today, and I took my GEN I for a spin enjoying the weather. The car ran good and strong. After a couple of stops and after a half of gas tank was vaporized, I made a quick stop to get a drink. When I was about to get on my way, the car didn’t start at a turn of a key. The lights were on and everything else seemed ok. Lucky me, I was parked on a down slope, and had a guy help me push the car to roll-start it. There must have been less than 40 feet to the curb. Wow it started. The car ran fine. Afterwards, I drove around, to find myself a longer downhill to test my starting problem. It took another couple of roll-starts before I drove it to the dealer, but it was closed for the night already. The car refuses to turn or make any life sounds when the key is turned. Just wondering if my 1994, has the same clutch safety switch as GEN 4 and is located in the same location as newer models. Or what fuse or solenoid might cause this. I do not think that a starter would just drop dead like that. If I remember correctly, it was a long and painful death for a starter on my 87’ Trans Am that I had. It died in smoke, struggling to turn the engine. Please tell me what to look for, and if I could do anything, now. I do not want to leave the car a dealer for over night. Thank you all.

just wouldn't make a sound? if thats the case. Then yea I'm very sure its the Clutch switch...I do not know if it is the same but all of em has harness that you can disconnect and put a jumper in it before you waste all that money to the dealership of labor they can charge up the ass.

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It could be just a fuse. I am not sure what one it is on yours but on mine the fuse that controls ASD relay and PCM which is fuse #11. I am not sure where and if you have a clutch safety switch in yours like mine but your owners manual will say.

On a positive note got my viper back, they had and replaced the solenoid and all is good now. Thank you all for your suggestions. From what I can tell not a scratch or dent from the dealership. They didn't wash the car either which I am glad. Now I am enjoying my Viper like it was meant to be with so much open road here in Hawaii ;)

sweet!! yeah they washed mine. As soon as I got dropped off from one of my family member I was freaking out when the driver was parking it!!! It wasn't even a Viper tech....just a detailer

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you HI-NOS and Cash84 for your help. After I had finished reading through you posts while having a beer, I got the inspiration to go and test for all the problems possible. I took my tool-bag, a mirror, a battery booster, and a general understanding of where the fuse box might be located in my Viper. After trying to give it boost, I got my mirror and a flashlight and crawl under the steering column. I found that green plug, the wires leading to the mysterious black box, which seemed to be sliding on a copper shaft. And there it was: the possible cause to my problem. The clutch pedal was rubbing against the green connector and wires. The sliding box was dusty and greasy. While laying upside-down and looking through my mirror at what mechanics were involved, I gave a little wiggle to all the parts in my reflected image. Only after giving a push with my hand to a clutch pedal and seeing a copper rod popping out of its socket, and pedal loosing all its tension, I become conscious of what was going on. I am surprised that I got that far, with the pedal on the edge of failing completely. I guess the angle, or the travel length of the rod ( perhaps it a part of a slave cylinder) effected the clutch safety switch. At that, I pushed the elbow of the rod back in to an opening on the pedal. The motor came alive with a half a turn. What a glorious sound…. Even though I am yet to see the location where the fuse box is located, I am glad to have my car running. Thanks to you all. I think that a plastic gasket, which holds the joint in place in the opening of the pedal, is the cause. I’ll take a better look tomorrow of how its holding up, and see if it needs a replacement. I will also post some epicures tomorrow.

Thanks again

You people are the best.

Mark

:drive::)

OP
OP
H

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you HI-NOS and Cash84 for your help. After I had finished reading through you posts while having a beer, I got the inspiration to go and test for all the problems possible. I took my tool-bag, a mirror, a battery booster, and a general understanding of where the fuse box might be located in my Viper. After trying to give it boost, I got my mirror and a flashlight and crawl under the steering column. I found that green plug, the wires leading to the mysterious black box, which seemed to be sliding on a copper shaft. And there it was: the possible cause to my problem. The clutch pedal was rubbing against the green connector and wires. The sliding box was dusty and greasy. While laying upside-down and looking through my mirror at what mechanics were involved, I gave a little wiggle to all the parts in my reflected image. Only after giving a push with my hand to a clutch pedal and seeing a copper rod popping out of its socket, and pedal loosing all its tension, I become conscious of what was going on. I am surprised that I got that far, with the pedal on the edge of failing completely. I guess the angle, or the travel length of the rod ( perhaps it a part of a slave cylinder) effected the clutch safety switch. At that, I pushed the elbow of the rod back in to an opening on the pedal. The motor came alive with a half a turn. What a glorious sound…. Even though I am yet to see the location where the fuse box is located, I am glad to have my car running. Thanks to you all. I think that a plastic gasket, which holds the joint in place in the opening of the pedal, is the cause. I’ll take a better look tomorrow of how its holding up, and see if it needs a replacement. I will also post some epicures tomorrow.

Thanks again

You people are the best.

Mark

:drive::)
These people on here are the best. That is how I figured out what my problem was due to people here. I am glad that we were able to give you the idea of what it was. Make sure of course that its good to go and doesn't need replacing. The last thing you want to do is get stranded again somewhere all because of one piece :crazy2: Post the pics when you get them.

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mentioned earlier that I had a problem starting my Viper, and again thank you all for your input. I found a source of the problem. Even though it was not the Clutch Sensor, I located a problem near it. As I mentioned earlier, while I was checking the sensor, the rod of the slave cylinder just popped out from the pedal. The self-locking shim was worn out and had failed. I was lucky that I didn’t loose the clutch in the middle of the road. I guess that just before the shim was destroyed completely, the angle of the rod changed and stopped the sensor from operating normally. I posted a picture of the damaged shim. I fixed it temporary with a steel wire. The new $6 part will be coming tomorrow. ;):drive:
You must be registered for see images

Weber

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started having this same problem with my '05. Push the start button and totally dead.
I found that if I push in the clutch and move the shifter in or out of gear it always starts, even though it may take a couple of tries.
Since I'm depressing the clutch pedal to move the shifter could it be the clutch switch that was discussed in this thread?
I'm guessing it's either that or a safety switch associated with the position of the shifter, but that's a total guess.
I'm getting uneasy about being away from home and it decides not to start, so I have to find the problem and fix it!
This forum has been a great source of information for me in the past.
Would appreciate any help and advice.