Vipermed airbox and ice =scary power

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that this sounds like a sales pitch but for anyone who has one of my airboxes,try this especially the supercharged guys.Take a 5 or 10 lb bag of ice and dump it in your airbox.it was designed to hold ice very well.(dont worry there is water drains)The power your car will produce will amaze/scare you.I tried this experiment friday at a private 1 mile strip with my slicks and skinnys.and my car never performed this unbelievable(to bad i wasnt as good as my car)the best part was when i returned back in the blazing florida sun the ice was still more than half full after two aggresive passes and back to the shop.My next test will be to seal off the NACA duct and cover the whole box except the vipair with an insulator.Please do not be afraid to try this you will not harm anything.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scary power is 12 lbs. of boost and 843 rwhp all the time, any time. hahahaha!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crazy as it sounds it seems logical. So what's next Scott? The "Icebox Airbox" by Vipermed? :) An aluminum airbox with a lining that can be filled with crushed ice?

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crazy as it sounds it seems logical. So what's next Scott? The "Icebox Airbox" by Vipermed? :) An aluminum airbox with a lining that can be filled with crushed ice?

Hey Chuck how about a cool can for your fuel? Like the old days with carbs....

They do have fuel coolers for EFI cars.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
> Scary power is 12 lbs. of boost and 843 rwhp all the time, any time

Uh, Gary - I know you were posting this tongue-in-cheek, but we S/C cars are actually more susceptible to heat soak than are our poor N/A brethren. If you think you're making 843 RWHP all the time, try doing an uncorrected dyno pull in 100F weather and see what happens.

Of course, for the boosted crowd getting cool intake air and icing the intercooler can produce some pretty dramatic power differences...

Vipermed - I would guess that cooling the intake manifold as well as the airbox would produce the best gains. Any way to rig that up?

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
That's an old Drag racer's trick! Evan Smith used that technique when running my 2000 stock GTS against a Z06 for a magazine shootout (GM High Tech Mag). The beauty of it was that our Snakes were called a two bagger "ice hog" as Evan took two bags of ice (versus one bag for the Z06) and placed it on the intake manifold for about 30 minutes.

Result?

90+ degrees, 90% humidity

GTS - 11.9 e.t.

Z06? 12.5!

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
> Scary power is 12 lbs. of boost and 843 rwhp all the time, any time

Uh, Gary - I know you were posting this tongue-in-cheek, but we S/C cars are actually more susceptible to heat soak than are our poor N/A brethren. If you think you're making 843 RWHP all the time, try doing an uncorrected dyno pull in 100F weather and see what happens.

C'mon Ben, there you go gettin' all scientific on me again! hahaha!!

Actually though, I associate "heat soak" differently than ambient heat. Heat soak is what happens to my engine when it has been run a while whereas the loss of HP due to a rise in ambient temperature affects my intake air temps thereby causing a loss of power.

Doing back-to-back-to-back dyno runs on my car when it is heat soaked has shown little affect on horsepower. However, as you stated, on a 90+ degree day, I can feel the loss of power (as every car does, N/A or otherwise).

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just be careful not to drip on the track, if you launch and water drops from te front and they you run it over on et streets or something you probably going to head towards the wall. finding a way to plug the drain seems key along with something to catch the condensation

OP
OP
V

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just be careful not to drip on the track, if you launch and water drops from te front and they you run it over on et streets or something you probably going to head towards the wall. finding a way to plug the drain seems key along with something to catch the condensation

Problem w/plugging the drains you will end up w/more of a mess w/water splashing around not to mention the fear of hydrostatic lock.I dont see water on the track being an issue by the time it drains through the facia.more drain issues will come post run

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bah. Forget dry ice. That's CO2. You'll suffocate your car!

Instead, use a liquid oxygen canister with the valve on a slow leak. Amount of chilled O2 vapor could be controlled via the valve, and it would simultaneously cool the air as well as increasing oxygen levels :D

Wait, that almost makes sense...

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know the science but I did read someplace that O2 can't be used as nitrous is, to increase power. I don't know why, it seems like a reasonable thing but I read that it won't work.

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Ramchargers used to use this trick with the Hemi engines and pack the intake with ice to allow for a colder air charge into the intake manifold. Cold air is more dense than warm air, thus more intake air is crammed into each cylinder, results = additional horsepower and torque. Cool cans on fuel lines (another old hot rodder's trick) did some of the same things, by cooling the fuel, and making it a more dense mixture.
Someone tried to accomplish this on the Viper intake with a tie into the AC unit, to cool the intake air a while back, but I don't think it worked out well.

OP
OP
V

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know the science but I did read someplace that O2 can't be used as nitrous is, to increase power. I don't know why, it seems like a reasonable thing but I read that it won't work.
100% 02 has a very low ign.point making it very dangerous if not plumbed correctly.remember that the amt of 02 that your car is taking in from ambiant air is 21%

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in the late 60's, we used to use ice on the cars we'd drag race.

Probably my down fall, As the manifold would get colder and colder my
times would get better and better.

Then I'd bust out of my time bracket for going too fast. :eek:

Dave Adkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anecdote from Kennedy Space Center, from many many years ago, regarding pure oxygen:

So, a jeep was on its way to the launch pad to deliver a bottle of O2. The bottle had a leak, unnoticeable until the jeep's driver lit a cigarette. Or tried to.

The biggest piece of the jeep they found was about the size of your fist. :eek:

That's why nitrous is nifty - and safe. It's essentially inert from a combustion standpoint until higher temps, i.e. once it's been compressed in your engine's cylinders and heats up prior to the spark plug lighting, the O2 is, in laymans terms, 'released' to be used as an oxidizer.

OP
OP
V

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would have to dissasemble the box each time then battle gravity putting it back together,the advantage of my Box is the way it is built you just dump in a bag and it completely supmerges the filters and the way the box is designed it carrys it well without loosing any.Its as simple as opening the hood and dumping the bag.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if you completely submerge the filters, doesn't it hinder the airflow? Don't the filters get wet?

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about re-routing the air-conditioner to blow into the airbox? I know the A/C takes horsepower away but what if you used it to cool the engine/intake and then turned it off for the run. Or maybe the cool air would out perform the drag the A/C takes on the engine and then you could blow the cold air right into the intake?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It barely blows in the car! You would really have to be a trooper to sacrifice even a small amount of the puney A/C for a couple of horsepower! Besides, from the posts up there, ^^^ it looks like someone tried it, but it didn't work.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if the air is 21% O2, why can't I use extra O2 to bring it up to, say 35%?
By the way, liquid O2 will not burn and it won't explode. It's an oxidizer. If you get anything combustible mixed in with O2, you may have an explosion when that fuel item rapidly oxidizes.

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep... if liquid oxygen touches grease/oil etc it can ignite easily. Got any grease in your car? ;)

The concentration required for fire to go ape **** is apparently pretty low - like 25 to 30%. So that little bit of greasy residue in your intake manifold from the PCV could make your car go kablammo. If not the oily residue, the atomised spray of fuel could really love the super high concentration of oxygen, auto ignite, and blow your manifold out.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oxygen is just way to dangerous to mess with. I would think it would melt the hell out of the pistons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery