Vipers looking for revenge at The Ring Today!!!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It took a few days, but I finally got on here! :) First post time!!!

I've got to say, from the outside looking in, a few people must really love the Viper and all it stands for! I mean, to have gone to these lengths to get a couple of Texas-plated dealer cars lapping a stretch of twisty tarmac behind my back garden... :rolaugh:

Absolutely top effort though, and knowing how the higher echelons of Lexus can be, I guess there are some harrowing tales of woe amongst the LF-A team. Oh to be a fly on their wall right now... :eater::eater: :eater:

Anyway, here's my favourite shot from that fateful lunchbreak I spent next to the track, in FULL res too (3888px).
You must be registered for see images

I have to say, as a pro driver here I've still not driven the Viper in any of its forms! I can only imagine that 8.4ltrs and the appropriate torque with no computers puts most drivers off - cars in the same price range over here include Nissan GTRs, Porsche GT3s, the odd GT2 and of course, the Z06. All of which I've driven, none of which I'm particularly smitten by. They are a dime a dozen around the Nürburgring.

If anybody could hook me up with an email address for the team, the drivers, anything, I'd love to get an interview for my blog at bridgetogantry.com too.

Welcome to the forum Dale, glad you finally made it in past the guards....LOL
THANK YOU for your website and info you were the first to break the news about the Vipers actual appearance and the spy shots were a great appetizer.
As you can see, we are quite fond and proud of the car here.

We are very envious of you, imagine having one of the most famous (notorious?) race tracks in the world in your backyard!

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top Gear will test the G5 in the rain, just to make sure.

Why doesn't the Viper sell better, as great as it is? We console ourselves with "******* don"t like ******** cars", but in the end, car manufacturing is a business proposition.

I would suggest the Gen5 have OPTIONAL amenities, to appeal to the widest possible audience. Without the economy of scale, the future is bleak, for an extremely limited volume car. ("We" don't want them languishing on dealers' lots for two years, still in the wrappers. I'm sure the dealers don't) Unless they are counting on someone who, after hearing of the record lap, will suddenly become enamored with a Chrysler mini-van or Durango.

If I'm not mistaken, Ralph said that Viper will be 2 different cars. If this is so, I'd predict that the "base" viper would be the cushy amenity-laiden model and the other would be the ******** strippeddown track version. I'm guessing that most people that buy these cars to track buy the ACR and those that buy it for spirited driving on public roads buy the base model. And as far as increasing production numbers, I've heard that viper production is limited by the hand assembly process and it would be hard to increase production without altering the way they're assembled.

Tomball Dodge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW!!!!!! Incredible stuff. Ben and I both would like to thank the SRT Team, VCA, and Mintgen Motorsports. Having two of our cars in Germany working directly with SRT Team was not only incredible but surreal.The last 9 days has been a ball of emotions and one that I can say will be with both of us for a life time. Finally back in USA and we can say with no uncertain terms we are proud to be viper Owner's, Racers and Dealers but a huge part of the Incredible Viper Nation.

Keep your eyes open for Kuno Wittmer this weekend with his race in penultimate round of the ADAC GT Masters in Assen, Netherlands. Kuno will start the series by driving the Dodge Viper Competition Coupe GT3!!! Viper Nation is truely incredible.

As Marv and the VCA said more to come and what exciting times for Dodge and SRT // !!!!

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome home. I imagine you are still on a high after the weeks excitement.

Bruce

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome back Bernie and Ben-
THANKS for the thrill ride.

I think last Wednsday night was one of the most fun, exciting and just plain thrilling nights I can ever recall here.
We were all wearing out our refresh key waiting on the news.

And it certainly did not disappoint.
Congrats to you and Tomball again!

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FrgMstr

WOW!!!!!! Incredible stuff. Ben and I both would like to thank the SRT Team, VCA, and Mintgen Motorsports. Having two of our cars in Germany working directly with SRT Team was not only incredible but surreal.The last 9 days has been a ball of emotions and one that I can say will be with both of us for a life time. Finally back in USA and we can say with no uncertain terms we are proud to be viper Owner's, Racers and Dealers but a huge part of the Incredible Viper Nation.

Keep your eyes open for Kuno Wittmer this weekend with his race in penultimate round of the ADAC GT Masters in Assen, Netherlands. Kuno will start the series by driving the Dodge Viper Competition Coupe GT3!!! Viper Nation is truely incredible.

As Marv and the VCA said more to come and what exciting times for Dodge and SRT // !!!!

You guys rock! Big KUDOS for your company's involvement. You guys will surely be on my list for when I make my next Viper purchase. It is the least I could do to throw some business your way. If you get up Dallas way, drinks are on me.

DRBSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome back guys. Congrats again to you and the SRT Team on this stunning achievement!! Makes me proud to be a customer of Tomball Dodge!!!!

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks guys for your effots in putting the Viper in it's rightful place....AT NUMBER 1!!!!!!!!!!

Also, when the gen 5 comes out and if it's something I want to buy brand new, I'm gonna make sure to get it from you guys. What you guys did in this ring effort can't be put in words. Thanks again!!!!!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for doing this guys, you have put the Viper back on top an dwith the times ripped on the Ring, looks to stay there for a while :2tu:

Did you guys really on stay a half a day? If so, just think what you could have accomplished with a full day of practice............................:D

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To the team which reached this accomplishment, and to the many men and women of the Viper world who helped support them, my hat is off to you. My Friday just went from boring to happy!

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont have an ACR but Im still damn proud to own a Gen 4. And you guys have made me even more proud this week. I bet the fast lap car would make the best raffle car ever.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont have an ACR but Im still damn proud to own a Gen 4. And you guys have made me even more proud this week. I bet the fast lap car would make the best raffle car ever.

Imagine that very car signed by the driver and all the support team?
WOW.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome, Dale... glad you're here. I've been a fan of the BTG site & blog for awhile now, and big thanks are due to you for your timely and accurate reporting. For those that don't know, BTG is a great window on the 'Ring, and in my opinion provides fair reporting on what's happening at the track (past and present). And BTG does it with some style, which is always appreciated ;-)

I think many of us would like to gain more insight on the drivers that are brought/hired for these production car lap sessions. Appreciate any info/perspective you might be able to provide... both on the drivers and on Mintgen.

It took a few days, but I finally got on here! :) First post time!!!

I've got to say, from the outside looking in, a few people must really love the Viper and all it stands for! I mean, to have gone to these lengths to get a couple of Texas-plated dealer cars lapping a stretch of twisty tarmac behind my back garden... :rolaugh:

Absolutely top effort though, and knowing how the higher echelons of Lexus can be, I guess there are some harrowing tales of woe amongst the LF-A team. Oh to be a fly on their wall right now... :eater::eater: :eater:

Anyway, here's my favourite shot from that fateful lunchbreak I spent next to the track, in FULL res too (3888px).
You must be registered for see images

I have to say, as a pro driver here I've still not driven the Viper in any of its forms! I can only imagine that 8.4ltrs and the appropriate torque with no computers puts most drivers off - cars in the same price range over here include Nissan GTRs, Porsche GT3s, the odd GT2 and of course, the Z06. All of which I've driven, none of which I'm particularly smitten by. They are a dime a dozen around the Nürburgring.

If anybody could hook me up with an email address for the team, the drivers, anything, I'd love to get an interview for my blog at bridgetogantry.com too.

Last edited:

MrBTG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words! Also thanks to the VCA forums I am also in direct contact with Tomball and will be in touch with them soon when I get a chance to think... my 'day job' is here at the 'Ring and we have 4 days of touristenfahrt (public sessions) now so I'll be busy with the wage-earner first... ;-) But I hope to get more on this topic by next week.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you guys really on stay a half a day? If so, just think what you could have accomplished with a full day of practice............................:D

A friend on mine (ZO6 owner) that works for Marathon Oil drove over in a rented M3 on Monday morning to run the ring and found out it was closed due to private rental. He emailed me to tell me the Viper was running the ring again. The local ring employee said they would be there for 2 days. He thinks they ran Monday and Wednesday but doesn't know if they were full or half days.

****This isn't anything official, just a friend that missed his chance to run the ring and wanted to let me know.****

I'm looking forward to finding out the details.

Again, congrats to Tomball and everyone involved in the effort.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....Absolutely top effort though, and knowing how the higher echelons of Lexus can be, I guess there are some harrowing tales of woe amongst the LF-A team. Oh to be a fly on their wall right now... :eater::eater: :eater:

You must be registered for see images attach

welcome aboard and thanks for the pic

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You guys Rock!
As long discussed the gearing in the 2010 seems to have made a big difference in ring times! I'm sure the weather had something to do with it as well...
I didn't read all the links posted... Who was the driver? Kumo?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys Rock!
As long discussed the gearing in the 2010 seems to have made a big difference in ring times! I'm sure the weather had something to do with it as well...
I didn't read all the links posted... Who was the driver? Kumo?

I don't know if it is still supposed to be a "secret" about the driver so I won't say publically here.
However, Wikipedia is your friend.

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to the spy video posted to youtube, the drivers that day were:

Dominik Farnbacher
Kuno Wittmer
Heiko Hammel
Tom Coronel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads